1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

cleaning teeth

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by phill, Mar 4, 2012.

1. phill

phill Top Dog

roger scott pointed out to us about the teeth needing cleaning on our 6 year old female in fla last year , i had the teeth cleaned on a old dog i used to have and man does it look good on a old dog but expensive at the vet ,, i just got this stuff called plaque blast we'll see but it takes 30 days it did not say that on tv ,, the dogs always get the s---s from bones i try and use them when their outside right now their kenneled ,,and i baught a toothbrush and paste yesterday gonna try it today i can't see me getting the job done their not gonna like a brushing the teeth ,, they will go right through denta bone and sallow chunks and crap green ,, so what does the trick best other than the vet

2. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

Oh boy, Dentabone... reminds me of Greenies. Never buy that Greenies shit, it turns into this gross foamy substance in the dog's stomach and can't be good. Not sure what the deal with Dentabone is though.

Personally, I think you can't beat the cleaning you get at the vet's. They get right down with little scrapers n shit. I wouldn't be puttin no chemicals found on TV in my dog's mouth

3. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Dental cleanings should not be that exspensive. At my vets it is between $150-$200 with no extractions. And we clean the teeth with a scaler just like the dentist cleans ours.

That stuff will not get the thick plaque off. That needs to be crack off. It may get minor plaque off. All it does is break down the bacteria. Now after you get their teeth cleaned it will slow down the plaque from returning.

4. IMPACT631

IMPACT631 Top Dog

Feed raw and your dogs teeth will look amazing ! My dogs have the cleanest whitest teeth I have ever seen on any dog..

5. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

A dental at you local vets is the best way to get em clean. The only thing to be apprehensive about is that they must go under anesthesia in order to do it properly.

6. elifan

elifan Big Dog

I thought it was from all that flossing your dogs do on that spring pole of yours lol

7. IMPACT631

IMPACT631 Top Dog

Eli fan! That could be true!

8. phill

phill Top Dog

eli by way of crybaby fan

9. elifan

elifan Big Dog

Are you asking me if I think eli is really out of crybaby

10. phill

phill Top Dog

no i keep getting theese pains in the neck just figured that was another atempt to get me pissed about something els ,, sorry

11. elifan

elifan Big Dog

No definitely not,I know impact 631 I was just messing with him

12. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

This. BUT if you cant go full raw, I have my Grandmother and my friend feeding their dogs semi-frozen raw beef ribs, the gnawing on the bones cleans the teeth really nice.

My dog gets 50-75% raw and his teeth and breath are awesome, also I float his kibble when he gets it and I dont know if that does anything for the teeth but he has some awesome pearly whites and fresh breath.

I dont use dog toothbrushes and paste, some of the pastes have stuff in them that arent to great for a dog, if I notice his canine teeth have a little gunk on them I will run a regular human tooth brush through his mouth, wet with water (do it to my cat as well) and that works really great too.

13. phill

phill Top Dog

back to work gonna have to take the old girl to the vet and get them polished

14. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Feeding high quality dog food & giving raw beef bones periodically will keep your dogs teeth nice & clean.

15. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

What about those nylabones?

As well a good excerise session using a rope (cotton only) help?

I've also been told that soaking food is done one of two ways, float it as mentioned and feed right away. Or soak it till its soft with no hard centers. The small hard centers can become stuck in the teeth and begin to decay.

As well it would be good to know what causes tooth decay. Is it not bateria build up? I would think that good once over as mentioned with a tooth brush should dislodge any stuck food.

The raw people, you guys are sooooo close to converting me. The problem is I raise my two sons alone and work fulltime. Money and time can be an issue at times. Well not so much money as time. I can go with out things to feed the dogs better that for sure!

Ok time to educate myself and see if I can get my mother to get involved. She is a master in the kitchen and loves my dogs. Old dog is slated to hang out with her this summer while I am at work. She wants a dog but doesnt want that much commitment this will give her the fun side of having a dog around and not have to be committed. Plus the old dog deserves the best. He raised my two sons from birth with the most kindest and gentlest mannerism. For that I respect and love him with all my heart.

sorry got lil off topic

One last thing, anyone with outside animals use a small amount of bleach in the water? Like a capful per 5 gallons is what I used to use when I kept a yard. Seemed the water never got stag or skeeter larva.

16. benthere

As with humans the best thing for good teeth is a healthy diet. People who eat a lot of junk food & sweets will have worse teeth than someone who doesn't. Most of the dogs I have seen with bad teeth ate cheap feed most of their lives. Yes nylabones will help. I have said it before and I will say it again, raw is waaaayyy overrated. Unless you are a canine nutritionist you are probably going to do more harm than good. Better to feed a high quality kibble & periodically supplement with raw meat, bones & etc. People get too caught up in feed and don't pay attention to the other details that go into making a healthy dog.

Casperworldpeace likes this.
  17. hardluck

hardluck Banned

there is nothing wrong with that. if you have city water i wouldnt use as much chlorine in the water since city water already has chlorine. well water on the other hand i could see using a cap full in the water to stop skeeter larva, bacteria and alga form taking place. i dont keep large water buckets like that though my water bowls will hold about a gallon at the most and i clean it out every other day as i refill them, so i myself dont feel the need to add cholorine in the water. they do it to equine, fowl and others to stop bacteria from growing and in our water that we drink too. i dont see it being a big deal.

for the cleaning teeth thing just get a electric tooth brush lol...... JP.

18. benthere

I say add a cap full of bleach to your own water & try drinking it. Mmmmm delicious, I am sure your dog really likes it too.

19. hardluck

hardluck Banned

city dogs are already drinking chlorinated/bleach water and so are the people. you have to mix it right . 2teaspoons per gallon if its well water. 1 teaspoons if your getting city water because there is already added chlorine. there should be no reason though to add this to dogs water. a 5 gallon water bucket, i think is too much for a dog. all its doing is sitting there being stagnant collecting dirt, mosquitoes and growing algae. imo get a smaller water bowl.

just take into consideration that one gallon of bleach can sanitize 17,500 gallons of water. you dont need that much in water. dogs should not need this though because you should be changing water every 2-3days . poultry and other livestock do because they step in shit and then walk in there water.

if you feel iffy on this you can also use apple vinegar in the water it will stop algae from growing but it wont kill bacteria and larva from growing. there are other options. 1/4 apple vinegar for every gallon is also good for the dog. anyone can look up the benefits of this themselfs. its either vinegar or bleach, but bleach wouldnt hurt. we have been using it since 1908 to help out our waters.

20. benthere

Lets see: 3tsp in a TBS, 4TBS in a 1/4 cup, 4 cups in a quart and 4 quarts in a gallon. 1 tsp to a gallon would be something like a 1:3072 dilution ration. Wouldn't that be way stronger than a dilution ration of 1 gallon of bleach to 17,500 gallons of water??