1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

clorox or bleach in water????

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by lonesharkpits, Jul 16, 2006.

1. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

I have read that a little clorox or bleach in your dog's drinking bowl will keep mosquito larvae out??? Any one ever used this method????? If so what was the mixture you used?? I change my dogs water daily but still sometimes find some larvae in the bowls, any other ideas?????

2. asaj

asaj Big Dog

I have heard some people doing that. I would never do it. I know its hard to keep them small fu**ers away, but I would rather have my dogs drink some larvae once in a wile than drinking bleach water every day!

3. Phebes

Phebes Guest

put a drop of vegtable oil in the water, mosquito larvae have to have air and the oil seals off the water from the air which kills the larvae.

4. simms

simms CH Dog

5 gallon of h2o to 2 caps of bleach. This what I use, this is intended for those that are toppin off and changing h2o 2-3 day. Will help cut/eliminate the algie and organism that grow in standing water.

This mix is so diluted you (ppl) can drink it.

5. Aurora

Aurora Pup

Ditto , that's what i do with good results .

I like your signature , it's very true . We need to close things down to the general public . These dogs aren't for everybody .

6. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Wow, I can't imagine injesting bleach no matter how diluted. Bleach is some hard core stuff. I have heard of using veg. or canola oil. I actually DID use oil in NM and it worked. I would much rather my dogs drink some veg. oil than bleach. I really don't see how bleach can not cause damage even if it is diluted. I don't have any references on this but after reading the book " the Hot Zone " I never looked at bleach the same again. Just the fumes from bleach kills the world's most deadly air borne viruses... It kills any living cells and burns, deteriorates tissue of both living and dead organic matter. I can't imagine drinking it.

7. simms

simms CH Dog

Well in the US, they do put Chlorine and floride in your drinking water....probly other stuff I cant list..cause I dont know.

I've been using this method for along time , never has it caused a problem.

8. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I've never taken chemistry, I didn't know that Chlorine and floride was bleach. I thought they were similar, but not the same. I know that you are not supposed to swallow your toothpaste because the floride is toxic. Children have died from it. I know that bleach burns flesh and kills cells. I don't know much about Chlorine other than it keeps swimming pools clean... but, I don't know about drinking it. I'm sure diluted chemicals are acceptable, but I hate to use bleach if I can avoid it. Especially since reading that book.

I believe you take great care of your dogs, I think you are one of the more knowledgable members on this board, but if it deters bugs, how can it not be concentrated enough to effect the dogs? Dogs have such an incredible sense of smell too. I'm totally willing to accept that I am wrong about this, but the more I learn about bleach the less I want it in my house. Doesn't veg. oil sound so much nicer? LOL, I know, you have your ways of doing things and they work for you. I respect that.

9. simms

simms CH Dog

I didnt say they were the same....but if I wiegh the odds out, well nots so bad.

Like I said w/that mix its so dilluted, you cant tell that its in there....and I cant smell it.

Yes I am aware of the things that bleach can do...LOL Burnt my lungs up a time or two disinfecting...LOL. Veg oil may sound nicer....but I dont think it can do what I need it to do....or on the scale of things.

Yrs ago before bordatella vx came onto the market, I worked for a vet that encouraged the use of a lil bleach in the water. That place never had an out break.

For experiments sake Im gonna try the veg oil vrs the bleach...it could work, just dont think its gonna kill the algie and the organisms...be cool if it does tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2006
  10. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Quick question-

Is the water held in such large containers it can't be cleaned out before larvae grows in it? I don't know your watering systems so I'm not throwing accusations, but even in large horse troughs and automatic waterers I've always kept the water fresh enough so larvae never was a problem. What watering systems do you use?

11. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

As to the bleach diluted hurting, I used to get into alot of trouble,and worked in the ketchen allot, and the state required for us to put bleach in the final rinse water. My wife thinks of bleach very badly, but I am from the school of allitlle bit of bleach every now and then, is welcomed by the wisest men. I'll try the oil thing also, but to be honest with you, diluted bleach, 2 caps /5 gallons, aint doin nothin to the dogs compared to the pollution the paper mills do (I live between two paper mills!!(not directly, but they are 30miles apart and I am in the middle!!)
    J
    <>< (I hope this is better BM)

12. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

I never said anyhting about an algea problem and stated that i change daily

13. Evil_Elvis

Evil_Elvis Big Dog

well, the small amount of bleach used in a 5 gallon bucket that gets topped off everyday and changed as mentioned isnt harmfull.

In fact, they recommend adding the same amount to water after / during a hurricane.. not to mention if you ever go camping and need to wash camping dishes you are supposed to dunk them in water with bleach to sanitize (since you dont usually have hot water..)

We use the same method and have never had a problem..

14. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I've used dilluted bleach many times to sanatize dishes of humans and animals, but that's different than just flat out drinking it. I don't think the oil would help with algae, but maybe just use the bleach on ocassions to dip the dishes and keep the oil for the larvae? Might be a good system. I had a lot of issues with larvae in NM, it's hot as hell and dry as a bone, so every outdoor source of water is a hot spot for bugs, the oil worked for me but I washed the dishes often. Not every day, but here and there, with dish soap. Let us know if the oil works out for you guys.

15. As a hiker/camper I've often read about adding bleach to water to make it safe to drink (but haven't had to do it I always pack enough water) but it does give it a bit of a 'taste'. The formula I've read is 4 drops to one quart. I did see some sort of a drop in tablet but they were quite large (like for a horse or cow's water).

16. Evil_Elvis

Evil_Elvis Big Dog

they also use i beleive iodine tablets when hiking.. you must wait 30 minutes before drinking it I believe..

All things in moderation however. Heck, Twinkies are approved for human consumption bt I bet if you eat enough of them you'd die, too

17. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Who said algae? Larvae was what I was talking about, and I do apologize- I saw where you said you change it daily.
    There are several water treatments available for horse troughs that claim to impede larvae (and algae) growth. I'm curious as to what the active ingredients are...I'm going to check that out and get back to you if you'd like me to...probably available at feed stores.
    However, I am all about home remedies. If they are marketing a little tablet packed full of chlorine or bleach and 10 other inactive ingredients- you can save your money but just doing the cap o' bleach thing. I'll check on it.

18. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I swear to God this is my last post on this topic!
    But camping/hiking water purifiers are for temporary use! I'm a big hiker and camper ( I bring my water though ) but they are designed for when you need them, not every day use, they are add-in's for uknown water sources! Some random stream you come across on a camping trip is not your primary source of water. I use bleach when I need to ( which is if there is a threat of a lethal virus ), I'm just real anal about his because I feel that it is very over-used. I can't even believe the damn jugs aren't child proof! It eats away everything and anything it comes in contact with. Damn right no bugs will lay their eggs in bleach water! I'm just trying to help and if you feel that it works for you and you like it, I can respect that. Alright, I'm all done... sorry.

19. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Okay- from the last hour of looking up info on all kinds of seemingly credible sites claiming to have knowledge on mosquito larvae preventatives (equine veterinary, outdoor bird aviary, and heartworm preventative sites) I have found a few constants that may be worth mentioning:

1. I found no site which advocated or mentioned using bleach in drinking water
    2. Several sites suggested cleaning drinking basins thoroughly with diluted bleach mixtures then rinsing with distilled water, then:
    3. Several sites suggested adding apple cider vinegar to the drinking water- I'd say about 1/4 of a cup per 5 gallon bucket was the average suggested amount
    4. Several sites suggested spraying a light film of mineral oil or corn oil over the top of drinking water-this suffocates the larvae
    5. Almost every site suggested feeding your animal garlic supplements or putting garlic in their drinking water

Here is a little more info that sums things up. I chose to use an outdoor aviary site to copy here because I know parrots/birds are the most susceptible to mosquito born ailments, and I know from experience (I own 4 parrots) bird owners/breeders are really anal about keeping their aviaries mosquito free at the egg, larvae and pupae stage.
    Don't take it for gospel, it is an internet source, but it might be worth considering...
    Preventing Mosquito Breeding.

Larvicides - Mosquito Larvae Killers

If it is impossible to eliminate all sources of standing water, then larvae killers (larvicides) may be of help. Both chemical and biological larvicides are available.

Two biological products are Mosquito Bits and Mosquito Dunks which contain Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria that feed on mosquito larvae.

*NOTE* I COULD FIND NOTHING SUGGESTING LARVICIDES ARE SAFE FOR ANIMAL DRINKING WATER- DON'T TRY THESE FOR PET DRINKING WATER!!-LuvinBullies-

• Mosquito Bits are small granules containing the Bti bacteria that are spread on the water surface. The larvicide granules gradually settle in the water where they are eaten by mosquito larvae. Mosquito Bits will give a quick kill, usually within 24 hours. A seven to fourteen day interval between applications is recommended. For longer term control, Mosquito Dunks can be used after applying Mosquito Bits.
    • Mosquito Dunks are 2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick, with a small hole in the center. They contain the same larvicide as Mosquito Bits. The Dunks float on top of the water and will be effective for approximately 30 days. While floating, they slowly release the larvicide that settles in the water where it is eaten by mosquito larvae. Alternate wetting and drying will not reduce their effectiveness. The center hole can be used to anchor the dunks in place with a string or stake.
    Another non-chemical larvicide contains mainly mineral oil. Sprayed on the surface of the water, it works by suffocating the larvae.

• Mosquito Larvicide, available from Extremely Green, kills larvae and pupa stages of mosquitoes. It is designed for surface application to intermittently flooded areas, catch or sewer basins, ditches, stagnant pools and ponds. Containing(98%) mineral oil, it does not smear or deface the environment. Since mosquitoes can hatch in 5 to 7 days of warm weather, any exposed stagnant water should be treated. May not be sold in New York state.
    Repelling Mosquitoes On Your Property

Garlic Barrier and Mosquito Barrier are two non-chemical products which use liquid garlic to repel mosquitoes. The active ingredient, 99.3 percent garlic juice, kills off mosquitoes in the nymph stage. Sulfur, which is also present in the garlic, acts as a repellent on the adults. Garlic juice has been used for over a hundred years on garden plants to keep insects away.

Garlic is absorbed through the pores of plant foliage and travels systemically throughout the entire plant. The juice doesn't harm humans or pets, but can be deadly to small insects. A mosquito's sense of smell is about 10,000 times better than humans. As long as they can detect the sulfur and garlic extract they will stay away from the sprayed area - for up to a month and more.

• Garlic Barrier - A strong liquid garlic concentrate, dilutes in water and is sprayed on farm and garden plants to keep insects off. Greatly inhibits mosquitoes from staying in the treated areas. EPA registered. Odorless in minutes. Listed for organic farms by OMRI and CCOF. No chemicals, non-toxic. Some sources for Garlic Barrier are Gempler's, Extremely Green and Ray Meeseman Co
    • Mosquito Barrier is a variation of Garlic Barrier. Mosquito Barrier kills and chases mosquitoes, ticks and fleas out of the yard and away from the house immediately upon spraying and keeps them out for 4 weeks and longer. Spray onto grass, shrubs, flowers and any trees in the area. Safe for children, pets and plants. Mosquito Barrier is also a larvicide. When mixed with canola oil or soybean oil, it coats standing water with a very thin film of natural oils. This oil suffocates the mosquito larvae which are developing in the water.

Mosquito Barrier kills adult mosquitoes on contact, the garlic coated plants keep mosquitoes out of the area and it suffocates any mosquito larvae in standing water.

Some sources for Mosquito Barrier are Extremely Green and Ray Meeseman Co. It is also marketed as Victor's Mosquito Barrier in many hardware and garden centers and Mosquito Barrier Yard Spray available at KMart stores.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  20. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

thanks for the research:D