1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Coat color, heat resistance and sun tolerance

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by smt232, Jun 15, 2014.

1. smt232

smt232 Pup

Interested in hearing opinions on coat color and heat resistance/tolerance. I always lived in the north east and it was never an issue but have moved to Florida and am looking into getting a new pup for the first time in a long time to be with our active family.
    With my past dogs heat tolerance and exercise capacity seemed to have a lot more to do with the individual dog but, like I said, I wasn't in the Florida sun. Be interested to hear what those with lots of dogs in hot, sunny climates have to say.

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

It's individual, yes, and there is also the matter of proper care and facilitation for cooling. But, physiologically speaking, the darker the coat, the more rays are absorbed, and absorbed more deeply. Period.

3. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I agree with TDK. I stay in TX where it gets just as hot, if not hotter than FL, but I wouldn't be worried about coat color. I'd make sure the dog comes from healthy dogs and I'd provide enough shade and plenty of water for the dog and he'd be fine I'm sure.

4. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I agree, but I've also noticed the white dogs(the few I've had) seem to have more problems with intense sun.

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

5. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

I have a catahoula that is black. She is still a 6 month old pup. I moved her from a pen that was completely shaded to a tie out that doesn't have as much shade. In the first couple days in her new spot I guess the heifer sat in the sun all day. She ended up with some pretty seriouse sun burn on her back. I have tarps set up to provide shade in areas that don't have natural shade. It helps but if they sit in the sun it will happen. Catahoula have thin fur and the sun can reach the skin.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

6. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Lighter colors reflect sunlight while darker colors absorb more sunlight.

When it comes to skin though it seems that lighter skin (pigmentation) people get sunburned easier then darker skin people.

7. smt232

smt232 Pup

Most of mine have been buckskin and their skin always seemed to tolerate the sun well. With my few black dogs I always noticed how hot their fur felt after they had been in the sun in comparison to the lighter colored dogs.
    On the other hand, I saw my neighbor walking their long suffering siberian husky in the middle of the day yesterday. Dog looked like it wanted to throw itself in front of a car.

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

fuck... i didnt think anything got hotter than FLA... lol

9. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

i have to agree it's hotter in TX. Especially in Houston, just as humid

10. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Look for a dog with big open nostrils, if they have scrunched up nostrils the breathing capacitiy will be dimished therefore the dog will not be able to regulate its temperature as easier.

11. determination

determination Big Dog

Tell that to my mom's lab lol don't think that dog knows how to breath through its nose

12. determination

determination Big Dog

You also need to think of the emissivity of the dogs different coats and colors

13. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Humidity doesn't make it "hotter", not a title I like to have but here in the DFW but we're almost always hotter than y'all down there.

14. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Hey humidity doesn't make it hotter, but it plays a part in the feel of the heat. Also your area plays a part. Urban areas too me are always hotter than the surrounding countryside. I haven't been in DFw during the heat of summer, but I have been in Abilene, and I'd take Abilene over Alabama any summer. True the temps are hotter but to me the lower humidity makes it a lot more bearable.

Sincerely Yours, Cajun