1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Coat is changing color

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by D'dizzle, Apr 9, 2006.

1. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

When I first got him he was solid black. Now, the older he gets the more brown he is getting through out his body. i have him eating nutro max, so it's not the food. Please share any info you may have. Thanks

2. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

I have heard of many pups coat changing as they grow. I dont think it is nothing to worry about. I seen a pup that was a total blue dog and then turned to blue brindle as he got older.

3. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

my dog's blue started to fade to almost a brown everywhere except his face, belly, and tail. i thought it was the food, but it wasnt. it turned out it was the cheap shampoo i bought from walmart. it literally bleached his coat. i switched back to his normal one (at petco) and his coat is mostly back to blue now.

4. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

your dog maybe a seal instead of a black becuase maybe in the sun you can see a slight of brown but with no light shining on him u'll see all black

5. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

my female is the same way. she has some brownish reddish coloring around her shoulders and ribs. you can really see it in the sun. she also was black when she was a pup.

6. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

If my understanding of the coloring is correct:

A black dog showing Blue undertones in their fur is called Seal colored
    A block dog showing Brown undertones in their fur is called Sable colored.

[​IMG]
    Here she looks seal coated because she is not in direct sunlight

[​IMG]
    In direct sun light - you can see the brown on her head.

She is actually a deep dark mahogony color in the bright sun.

7. My male was also solid black w/ a white patch on his chest when he was younger. Now he is approaching 7 years old & he too has a brown/red tint to him. He also has developed "white wiskers" under his chin. My vet says it's all showing up with his old age.

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

This is not quite correct, but close. A black dog showing blue understones is black bluie. A black dog showing red or brown undertones is considered seal. Sable is actually a red, tan or yellow dog w/ black tips on their fur.

Hoyden likes this.
  9. WWII

WWII Banned

Same here. When I first got my pup he was a deep solid blue color, but as he's getting older, he's starting to look tan in the sunlight. Like he's dusty or something.

10. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

My female was more of a brown tan color. Now she has a slight reddish tint

11. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

Thank you for clearing that up - for some reason - I always confuse them.

12. runt

runt Big Dog

My 6yr.old boy started out more of a brown/brindle with white markings,and every season until he was 2 he would turn red and his brindle would leave now he is more of a red brindle but you barely can see it

13. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

ONE OF MY MALES IS "SEAL", THOUGH I JUST CALL HIM BLACK. HE HAS ALOT OF LIVER COLOR'D AREAS ON HIM

(it looks more brown in this photo, but up close its liver -i think hes dusty in this pic-)
    [​IMG]

14. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

Nice looking dog. Yep - that's what my Birdie looks like in the sun.

15. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

[​IMG]

We got him as a blue merle, but he is seal merle.

16. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

exactly, he is black w/a reddish brown in the sunlight. so is that considered SEAL? is that good or bad? Thanks for the replies

17. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

It's just another color like red, white or brown. I think, may be wrong.

18. my dog, through out this year has changed colors as well....I think its just with age they change....Here is a pic to show what i mean....

[​IMG]