1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Colbys "Emjay"

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Mr.Mixon, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Re: Colbys "Emjay"

Then in that case it is co-dominant and not recessive.

2. bjjguy

bjjguy Pup

Knightmare, I apologize for getting personal earlier. I'd edit the post but I'm not sure how. Anyway, it seems that you do have a strong understanding of genetics, but I think you're confusing dominant and recessive. If a dog carries a dominant gene that gene will always be visible in the case of nose color. If a dog is xy, they will always apprear as a black-nosed dog.

3. bjjguy

bjjguy Pup

From Oxford Reference online:

dominant gene

In diploid organisms, a gene that produces the same phenotypic character when its alleles are present in a single dose (heterozygous) per nucleus as it does in double dose (homozygous). For example, if A is dominant over a, then AA (the homozygote) and Aa (the heterozygote) have the same phenotype. A gene that is masked in the presence of its dominant allele in the heterozygote state is said to be recessive to that dominant. Such a dominant–recessive relationship is common between two alleles, the gene most frequently present at a given locus being usually dominant to its alleles.

4. Knightmare

Knightmare Big Dog

No, a dominate gene can not be a 100% dominate over a recessive gene or the recessive gene would never appear.
    ALL recessive genes will appear sooner or later.
    That is why they are called recessive. :)

5. Knightmare

Knightmare Big Dog

No I am not confusing dominate and recessive.
    I've bred more red nose dogs then anyone in history of this breed so I do know what recessive red nose dogs are.

What you are fusing is the thought because it is dominate it has to always be 100% dominate to the point of suppression over recessive genes.
    This is not so.
    xy is the genetic make up of the DNA of the dog.
    A dog can be black nose.
    But to say a xx bred to a yy can't produce a yy dog isn't so.
    Where I think you are confused is of the idea that yy can never produce as in a dominate fashion.

6. Knightmare

Knightmare Big Dog

Nice post.
    But do not exclude the ambiguous parts of the post.

"the gene most frequently present at a given locus being "usually" dominant to its alleles"

7. Knightmare

Knightmare Big Dog

No, just one.
    LOL Albino gene isn't simply a mutation.
    The gene is carried in the DNA profile of the father or the mother.
    We are not talking about birth defects, as in the case from giving birth. :)

How is it a contradiction?
    I never stated both parents had to have the recessive gene.
    When recessive genes are in a DNA profile of a dog it is able to appear at any given time when producing.
    DNA genetic make up can not exclude from the profile,
    it can only add to it.
    It can be suppressed for generations but will be produced sooner or later.
    Try to understand recessive genes,
    example: twins,
    are you saying to have twins it has to hereditary to both parents?
    The recessive genes have to be in both........NO!

8. Knightmare

Knightmare Big Dog

Back to the OP question,
    If you want to apply other posters opinions of dominate and recessive genes, this might be food for thought.
    Colby's Galtie was from the imported OFR dogs.
    If he appears in the pedigree then the both sides opinions might be the reason why but the fact we all can't dispute is Colby's Emjay and Morris' Brimstone did produce a red nose dog in Princess Golden Renee.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  9. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Twins isn't a gene, it is a process that some people seem to be more prone to than others...

Albino is a mutation if it pops up from nowhere(think the first albino (blank) that was ever born in history - that is a mutation), once you have one, it is carried as you say and can produce more albinos IF it is combined with another animal that is carrying(or displaying) that same gene. You cannot produce albinos by breeding an albino to a non-carrier of the albino gene(you will produce carriers that if the bred together could produce albinos).

The contradiction is that recessive by definition means that the phenotype(appearance) will only be displayed if the specimen is homozygous for that trait(ie yy, not just xy, which is heterozygous).

10. Knightmare

Knightmare Big Dog

Prone? LOL It is hereditary!
    Genes make up what is hereditary.
    This is why it is common to have twins in generation after generation.
    My father was a twin. I have younger brothers who are twins.

Albino they are not sure if is a syndrome or mutation.
    Syndrome of a form of a disease because being an Albino has its health problems.

The case in point I was making is this,
    if 2 red nose dogs can produce a black nose pup and it is caused by genetic mutation.
    If color mutation accrues the pup will be born dead or die a few days later.
    But how can this mutation accrue if the ancestral genetic make up has never had a black nose dog in his linage?
    This mutation accures when the now dominate recessive genes are present in both dogs and creates a fatal mutation.
    Albino isn't fatal mutation.

"You cannot produce albinos by breeding an albino to a non-carrier of the albino gene(you will produce carriers that if the bred together could produce albinos)."

Sooner or later that gene will surface again in future generations.
    It doesn't have to accrue when another person also has the gene in their DNA.

"The contradiction is that recessive by definition means that the phenotype(appearance) will only be displayed if the specimen is homozygous for that trait(ie yy, not just xy, which is heterozygous)."

There is no contradiction because I did state black was dominate and remember it is only "USUALLY" dominate, not always.
    It is not a 100%.
    In many cases it has shown to be true.
    Princess Golden Renee is one, Red Boy is another, etc. etc.......

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  11. Robber

Robber Big Dog

I hate to keep going on about this forever and sabotaging this thread, but let me get this straight: you are saying that if you took a captive white albino rat, captured 10 (or 100) wild normal colored rats and bred them all to the albino rat, that you would get some albino rats?

12. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

^^^^^^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .........HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

WHEN DID A ALBINO RAT COME IN TO THE PICTURE I WAS LOST AT YYxXX

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!:D:D

13. Knightmare

Knightmare Big Dog

Me too. LOL LOL
    I'm done with this thread........:rolleyes:

14. Robber

Robber Big Dog

If you are so certain about what a recessive gene is and how it behaves, the question makes perfect sense.

15. Earli$$

Earli$$ Pup

my bitch has Hubie in her ped 8x, seven in the seventh and once in the fifth...

16. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

okay? thread digger lol

17. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Maybe it just took a year to figure out the ped.

18. Earli$$

Earli$$ Pup

no just was lookin around and happend to look at my ped for the first time and thats what i found.... my fault for living....

19. 1916

1916 Big Dog

now that you know its your fault then die........

20. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog