1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

conditioning lazy dog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by gog123, Mar 11, 2010.

1. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

hi guys,

Trying to get the dog in shape not show shape but id like to get close. Trouble is i only got a emill. My dog will chase a flirt and sprint flat out for 10mins but starts too loosr interest. Not tired at all a little panting but nothing major. His dam was the same so ive been told. I was wondering as im getting him into shape and not for show...will it be ok to do abit of flirtpole durring the day before i start his main exercise? Dont need to improve his wind just want him fitter. Hope i make sense lol

2. rooftopdrop

rooftopdrop Big Dog

ya have to change it up a bit for some dogs, try hand walking with some flirt work. if you have a springpole use that too.if you put in the work he'll b fit as a fiddle in no time. also 10min flat out is not to bad.start hand walking if possable on grass.when i walk mine I encourage the dog to pull when they ease up and I know theyre not tired a little tap to the ass with a command of TIGHT N UP puts em back on track.

3. geezuss

geezuss Big Dog

start with his diet

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

flirt works good. an emill is a great tool. try using another dog to get him more excited with the work.

5. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

until they are used to the routine youl have to make it worth his while, whenever hes amped up and still got the go in him give as much encouragment thats possible, praise goes a long way and a dog whos getting praised will bring the world to you if he could. but if hes been an inactive dog without a routine his whole life its gonna all be new to him. start slow an build it up, i would concentrate on handwalking with a bit of running early while hes not lazy the work the pole work into it slowly.i find mine are easier to get amped on a walk because there is more outside stimulation than in your yard, so a bit of encouragment goes a long way. if you have a strong pulling leash dog you will see results in the dog in a week easily. good luck

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

change exercises b4 complete interest is loss. vary the activity. fetch, swimming when its warm...

7. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

My routine not a keep just want the dog fitter really for me to see him nice and lean and have a dog worthy of posting in most ripped :D

30minutes walk, 10minutes flirt pole, 30minutes walk, 10minutes treadmill uphill, 5minutes springpole, 30minutes walk 10minutes flirtpole, 30minutes walk.

The dog of course looks alot fitter his just a really lazy dog i mean he wont chase a ball or anything lol i have to talk to him like a baby just get him excited to give the flirt ago for 10minutes.

I was planning next week just to add 5minutes of running fast next to a bike after the 10minutes flirtpole and adding 10minutes on top of each 30minute fast hand walk. I can go take some pics of him in a second if anyone wants to see how his looking? his not unfit or anything just lazy compare to dogs ive had before. I was thinking of possibly buying a lure machine but then id want it to be a really long rope to get him running for a decent amount of time. Got the room for it. His deffiantly not lazy for anything that moves, sees foxes, cats, squirels you name it and screams the house down to get at em. I let him chase the squirels once the weathers right for them to be out and about.

8. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

that is one fine looking animal. The emill is great when setup at an incline and the dog at a high paced trot or jog. Flirt is very good work.

What I was saying about using another dog is if you have access to a friends dog that loves to work then use it and have your dog watch. this will amp him up. have him watch the other dog work the flirt and rotate. or you can have the other dog run ahead while someone is on a bike and have your dog sprint behind him.

Dog looks great though, especially for being "lazy". Good luck with it.

9. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

He has watchd a really really kean worker from the window. Dont know if his smart enough to know his now the dog doing what she was :D

Will keep at it anyway for another month and see how he ends up looking. Thanks for the kind words.

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i have one that was the same way. i think i was workin her to long on spring pole and such tho. i did every exercise for an extremely short amount of time. she got into it and was kind've upset that she went back on her chain so soon. slowly increased it and now she is alot more into the workouts. not as much as some but still gets a great workout. i think u have to gain their interest before u can work them JMO

11. peppapig

peppapig Banned

he looks strong gog.....if he gets board quick with flirt etc for sprints or running try something else once you think hes getting bored.......not so much confuse him...but keep him interested.....and from whats been said.....letting him get what ever he is chasing every now and again helps him to want to carry on.........

12. boogieman

boogieman Big Dog

throw him in a swimming pool