1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

DeSoto, TX Considers Pit Bull Ban

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Birgit, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Birgit

Birgit Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2006
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

There are quite a few Pit Bull Owners in Desoto. Are the Elected officials saying we will have to destroy our dogs? OR SELL OUR HOMES IF WE OWN A Pit Bull Dog? THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS.

I don't believe that's a JUST law to ban citizens from owning a certain breed of dog. Shouldn't an animal owner be BANNED OR RESTRICTED FROM OWNING ANY TYPE OF ANIMAL IF they're breeding their animals to be fighters. Shouldn't this type of law be executed on a case by case basis?

Are we leaving it up to Elected Officials to decide the type of dog we own or the type of car we own? Cars are dangerous and can be extremely harmful if handled inappropriately. Are the officials considering banning them as well?

Guns are harmful if handled inappropriately are they going to be banned in the City of DeSoto?

3. simms

simms CH Dog

Well folks....the city council voted down the ban. However the city of Desoto will now enforce a leash law.

Did the city of Desoto not have a leash law in place already?

The city of Desoto also claims that in the last year, there has been four pitbull attacks on Desoto police officers.

uHmmmmm.

Mind you folks this is a what is being broadcasted on the news programs. Ofcourse the reporter has to find the Dumbest APBT (Rank curs) owners in that community who represents this breed. The Idea of a breed ban will go before this city council again.

For the APBT owners of Desoto.....get those animals on the right type of collars and leash's.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I thought TX had a state law saying the banning of particular breeders is illegal?

Anyways, I think EVERY city, county, parish (for us LA folks) should have a leash law.....& very stiff fines for those who violate it. I even believe that the 2nd time your dog is confiscated for running free, bye-bye doggie.

5. simms

simms CH Dog

The state of Texas does have a law in place against specific breed bans. However the city of Terrel has a ban on APBT and Rottwielers. To my knowledge its not enforced.

Absolutly a leash law should be enforced.

6. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I was at that meeting last night ( and have talked several times with the Mayor & a couple of the city council men) and it was a good productive meeting. They are in NO way wanting to ban any breed of dog, they just wanted input as to what to DO about the growing stray dog problems. They do indeed have a leash law & are in the process of strengthening laws & fines for people who fail to contain their dogs properly. All around it was a good experience & PROOF that the pit bull community CAN come together! They were amazed at the amount people who contacted them in favor OF the pit bull.

7. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I see time and time again where citys want to ban a breed when what they have is an animal control issue. Rather than pay for animal control, they ban a breed (usually Pitbulls). LaJunta Colorado just did so.

8. Birgit

Birgit Guest

Here is the newest video of the City Council meeting!

http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_story_341190225.html

CBS 11 News) DESOTO Large dogs, particularly pit bulls, have become a nuisance in some neighborhoods and a danger in others. Four Desoto police officers were attacked by pit bulls earlier this year. Now, some residents of Desoto are wanting the city to toughen its animal ordinances and even ban some breeds of dogs. That has sparked a debate.

"I'm not for banning any breed. I don't think it's right," said pit bull owner Mysteria Simpkins.

Fellow pit bull owner Justin Chappell agrees. "I don't think they should eliminate them," he said. "It's how you raise them up."

Elected city officials say that they have received over 80 complaints regarding aggressive dogs. Desoto residents met on Thursday night to address this growing concern. Kathy Maples with the City of Desoto said, "The town hall meeting is an effort to see what's out there, including those who believe it's blown out of proportion."

Christy Ecton supports the pit bull ban. She and her dog were attacked by a pit bull. "I didn't know who to protect, me or my dog. I just didn't know what the dog would do, but it came up and it flipped up [my dog] over and, with its teeth, grabbed her by the chest and started shaking her," Ecton said.

Ludivina Emiliano of Dallas knows how it feels to lose a loved one to the jaws of a vicious dog. Her 4-year-old nephew was killed 2 weeks ago in Houston by two pit bulls. "I don't think people should have them anymore because, if this happened to a little boy, it can happen to anybody," she said just before attending the Desoto meeting.

Simpkins attended the Thursday night meeting to explain why people shouldn't fear her dog.

According to Chappell, the city should target the dog owners, not the dogs. "If they can stop the bad owners raising dogs and neglecting them, give them the love they deserve, it's not going to be a problem."

At the meeting, John Mullendore added, "I'm a firm believer that it's nurture, not nature, that makes the difference in how a dog behaves."

Cities including Denver, Cincinnati and Miami already have a pit bull ban.