1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Did BSL help Denver?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Riptora, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Let me make it perfectly clear that I DO NOT support BSL in any way, shape or form. Anyone who knows anything about dogs shoudl understand that BSL is absurd.

When living in New Mexico I was associated with several rescues and the city shelters. I was close to a man who ran his own rescue out of his own yard for over 20 years, I respected this man very much. He often drove van loads of dogs to Colorado ( not sure exactly where ) because they would not euth his selected animals, he always needed the room and they seemed to have space available quite often. I always kept up to date on the news regarding the city shelters of Albuquerque ( the largest city ) which go through an average of 500 animals per week and when I left the shelter manager was taking trips to Colorado to learn about their tactics. They wanted to know how Colorado was able to keep their numbers low and they also had a lower rate of breedings. I'm sure BSL has something to do with why there are fewer animals in their shelters. In the NM shelters at least half of their dogs are APBT's, of course there is also a huge number of GSD's and Rotts. So, if the NM decided to pass a BSL law, you can be sure as hell there would be A LOT less animals around. In the Albuquerqu Journal, the pets section is the largest in the classifieds and there are more APBT's for sale then any other breed. GSD's are a good second. They are cheap, some pups only $50 each. I was shocked when I moved to RI where there are far more people and yet there's hardly any pups in the paper. I have seen zero ads for APBT pups since I moved out here over 1 year ago ( there is BSL in my city and Providence ). My point is that I heard NM is considering BSL and if they passed it, the state would probably save a LOT of money. I think this is wrong, but I'm also saying that I think the only reason NM is considering it is because the shelter is flooded with these "trendy" breeds. If NM or just Albuquerque passed BSL, it would have a dramatic impact on the shelters and in a good way. Not because the breeds are bad, dangerous, or vicious, but because people keep breeding them. No wonder there are so many spay/neuter advocates now a days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006