1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Did you know that dogs can sniff out Cancer?

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by prettyfulpitbull, May 19, 2006.

1. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

[​IMG]Brought to you by DOG-AGE tips of the week!!![​IMG][​IMG][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saving Scent[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May 18, 2006[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    The ultra-sensitive canine nose may be useful for more than sniffing out explosives and drugs. It could hold a key to early cancer detection.

Researchers have found that by smelling a patient's breath, dogs can detect breast and lung cancer with about 90% success. Even before symptoms appear, dogs may be able to smell a waste product of the cancer. In the case of lung cancer, which is usually not diagnosed until it is life threatening, a dog's nose could mean the difference between survival and death.
    [/font]

2. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Yes, I remember watching some special about that. The dog would spot the cancer and bark. it was very interesting.

3. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

They can also miraculously detect when some one is about to have a seizure. They can smell fear, which has been scientifically proven, we swet out of different glands when afraid. They can also smell other emotions. They can smell where we've been, literally... who we've been with (would be nice for married couples!)
    The scent of something is delivered to the brain with "scent receptors" in your nasal cavity. The more censors you have the more info. you can gain from a wiff of something. The longer your nose is, the more you have. A greyhound has an incredible ammount, a pug has far less. I forget the exact numbers, but dogs have so many more than us that we could never understand their world. They judge by scent before any other sense. We usually use our eyes first. Facinating...

4. Suki

Suki Guest

"They judge by scent before any other sense. We usually use our eyes first. Facinating"...I agree. Very much so! Nice post!

5. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

Very interesting. I didn't know this...hey, you learn something new everyday right...

6. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

They are great for that...I know that is how my grandmother found out she had cancer....there is a woman who went to college with me that had a Standard Poodle for seizures.

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

It's all about pheromone chances & hormone changes in the human body. We do put off a different smell in different emotional states & certain health issues (cancers, seizures, etc.) all cause a change in the metabolic rates & changes in pheromones. Since dogs have a much increased sense of smell (one we humans will never ever ever experience or understand), then they do have the capability to detect them.

8. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

then my friends have large cancers in their arses because my boy always buries his head in their crotches. =( i love him even though he's "special."

9. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

I saw something about Beagles being used to detect changes in glucose levels in people that are diabetic.

My pitbull Birdie senses the muscle spasms in my right let before they happen. My neurologist thinks she senses the change in the signal between my brain and my right leg. I have no feeling from my right knee down, so she keeps me from having accidents.