1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Different ways to condition a dog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Mercepitdog, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Mercepitdog

Mercepitdog Big Dog

For those who really work their dogs, beside tredmills, how else would you condition or work your canine?

Me, well when I dont use the tred, I perfer to hand walk, swimming and even abike ride with my dogs in a closed area at the park or something late at night.

2. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

I now swear by the flirtpole. If you're not using one, you're missing out.

3. findrodhere is right. my pup loves the flirt pole! she's only 8 months but she loves when i bust out the flirt pole. it's really easy to make. just get some PVC piping and some rope. and then run the rope through the PVC piping. make big knots at both ends with slack on one end. then u can attach a towel or watch gets your dog to play with it.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Well, just this past weekend, a neighbor had 1 of our dogs pulling his four wheeler. She looked like she was having a blast. :)

Right now for us it's handwalking (no jogging at the time being), treadmill work, springpole, flirtpole, & chase the bouncy Kong.

5. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I work my dog with alot of walking/jogging, flirt pole, and swimming.

apbtluver likes this.
  6. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

I use hand walking, flirt pole, spring pole, and letting them run after the four wheeler. They absolutely love this!!!. The young pups get to chase after the flirt pole, but never jump for it.

7. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Ditto! That and a springpole. And I've said it tons of times and I'll say it again now - a laser pointer at dark! If the yard is safe enough for the dog to run (ie it won't run into anything in the dark), just shine it all around and watch your dog go crazy running after it. :)

8. i usually will tie my dog to my bumper of my pickup, and pull him until he catches on and runs with me. It works great sometimes we get up to 25mph.

9. CRG

CRG Top Dog

You have to be kidding?

apbtluver likes this.
  10. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

I don't see myself doing that. Though, you could go real fast. Then again, you could kill your dog.

11. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

i usually will tie my dog to my bumper of my pickup, and pull him until he catches on and runs with me. It works great sometimes we get up to 25mph.

S 10?!?!?!

12. naw he has never really got more than some scuffed up pads.he is very smart and catches on real quick.

13. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

What happens if he gets run over or trips?

14. well we live in the country on a dirt road , so if he trips i stop the truck and there aint to many folks that drive out on this here property, so i doubt he will get ran over.plus i tie him to the back bumper not the front one so i dont run his little but over.

15. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

Well, at least you're not tying him to the front.

You do realize that there may be some danger involved?

16. *blackrock*

*blackrock* Big Dog

Sprints in an open field, and drag weights for bout 120 yards. We also do long hand walking. Works for me!

17. there is danger involved in alot of things we do round here.Thats what makes life so great!

18. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

I think a better way to do it is to have someone in the back of your pickup holding a long line to the dog, that way if he trips or whatever, the leash can be let go of. Or since you're in the country, just let the dog run after your truck. I don't know though, its an unsafe situation. But I do think you need 2 people to do it, one person to watch the dog and another to drive.
    Or better yet, just get on a bike with the dog.

19. PiTBuLL200416

PiTBuLL200416 Big Dog

I hook up some weights to my to my uncle's dogs harness and I put a rabbit in a cage and drag the rabbit up this big hill by my house and the dogs just run damn near forever, even if they get tired they still climb up that hill as fast as they can tryin to catch that rabbit. Another source of great conditioning is swimming. My uncles strongest Pit bull can tread water with weights on.

20. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

nvm...............

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006