1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Difficult conditioning

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Patchwork, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Patchwork

Patchwork Big Dog

This may have been asked before, but I have a question. I have a male dog, now 5, that I am conditioning back up this year for the ring. My issue with him is that if I work him down too much, he shows too much spine and hip. If I don't work him enough, he doesn't look worked at all (he is white). Any tips. I hand walk, carpet mill, flirt pole some, and deadweight some. Extra tips?

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

maybe try tweakin the amount of feed

3. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

What do u feed?

4. Patchwork

Patchwork Big Dog

4 Health Adult Kibble...I tried raw and he was entirely toooo thin..I have thought about adding the frozen food by Biljac...he did better on it. He is getting 3 cups daily and if I work hard, he gets usually half a cup more. He is 52 lbs chain weight, 47ish conditioned down.

5. meno222

meno222 Big Dog

you should try a kibble with more protein and fat. everytime i had to condition my dog for a show i would change his food to innova evo. that worked for me..

6. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

come on now your taking the piss YOU are in control of the variables. feed and work..........this isnt hard to figure out. good luck happy new year

7. Patchwork

Patchwork Big Dog

Thank you meno...

Gotta love it Lol...

8. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

i use EVO for conditioning, too. works good for me

9. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

If you fed him raw and he was too thin, then you did not feed him enough!
    Just as you would add more kibble if he was looking thin then you need to add more muscle meat and fats. Weighing out his feed helps also!

YIS

10. old goat

old goat CH Dog

maybe he's drying out to much when you work . check the skin after workouts . if it stands up then give more water in his food . because if they fill good they don't drink much .

11. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

first off a white dog is a tough one to get looking right, no way around it. and as stated-if feeding raw and loosing weight, not feeding enough or portion balances are off.
    but it really comes down to caloric intake and amount of work put in on various muscle groups-you might have to work certain areas more, others less- but this is part of any conditioning program, regardless of coat. curtail the work to the dog

12. old goat

old goat CH Dog

some dogs just move around more . is he on a chain ? even if he's in a kennel he could be moving alot and loosing weight .

13. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Get the fuck outta here. Youre a dick. No shit there in control.Thats why there asking for help on the subject.
    I know exactly what the op is talking about. Old goat and Rally had some good advice. I would make shure he isnt drying out to mutch and keep him crated after workouts untill after showtime. Some dogs just need more food. If you are working the dog properly I would make shure he is getting enuf water and up his food intake as well as make shure he aint running the chain all day and night. Good luck

14. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

More feed regardless what your feeding. If the dog is 55lbs and your feeding three cups, thats not enough food. Unless you got his weight wrong and he shouldn't be 55lbs. I feed three cups of food a day to a 37lbs gyp and she is a hard gainer. If the dog is on the chain and its cold where your at, you should compensate for the temp. aswell.

15. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Remember also...3 cups of one food is different than 3 cups of another brand. Rallyracer hit is on the head....its about caloric intake and amount of work put in along with the dogs individual metabolism!

YIS.

16. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

That is correct info, cant deny that.

17. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

:D….hilarious you are stating the bleeding obvious , as I did ……….alter his feed and work…as every other post has stated…lol….are you now going to give specific advice to an animal you have never even seen let alone seen work or eat…lol:D……I cannot tell him any more , until he tells us more…….its simple……..:D …….lets all guesstimate how to put a dog in top show shape online……:D……. We don’t even have to see your dog, or know much about it , well get you their or your money back lol…….:D.……welcome to the world of red goodbye he knows exactly what the op is on about,because he says so in his post……he doesn’t need to know the op or even the ops dog , hell give you the online knowledge to put your dog in top show shape like the op asked, long distance, online, don’t even need a feed schedule or a work schedule or even to see the physique he is attempting to improve in person, in a photo, or even on a video……shut the thread down at post 13#…:D……your too funny…:D.......he needs to do the work and watch the feedback good bad or indifferent.....you need to know more too help him more...:confused:..as any poster does...

how hard does the op really want specific information to solve his problem...how much has he learnt before he asked for simple solutions off random strangers online for a dog they have never seen??? ever??:confused: :confused::o:D

18. tamthebam

tamthebam Big Dog

The most important factor is how the dog performs during his workout. For example you might go to work him one day thinking he's too thin but find he performs better at that weight! All other factors are relative, performance isn't. As long as you can accurately gauge his performance, you should be ok.

19. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

The op isent trying to find at what weight the dog performs best at for a sporting show.If thay are,there lost if all there info/help is only provided over the net and in that case I would agree with you tigerlines. However It sounds to me as if the OP is only trying to get a dog conditioned for the confo ring. The problem is the dog is showing hip. I have a hound that this is an issue with. When put threw a keep he tends to show hip. No other isssues.No backbone showing , ribs not sunk too deep. Plenty of musscle etc. It only shows in the hips. Therefore I believe i know exactly what the op is dealing with. I gave some general advice insted of being a know it all internet smart ass. Not everyone Has the same resources when it comes to dogs and some just need a simple pointer here and there as thay learn for themselfs threw trial and errror.My reply may or may not solve the op's problem.However im shure my little bit of general advice was of more help than youre raggidy ass know it all answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  20. Preciouspits508

Preciouspits508 Top Dog

yes are weight little females the same way