1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

do you fear your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by lockjaw, May 19, 2007.

1. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

i see alot of people who just started owning a pit bull .and are scared of there own dog..it takes a tough owner to own a pit bull...so the question.........do you fear your dog or does your dog fear you?call it respect..whatever..my dogs fear me..and it makes my training them easier.....

2. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

No I'm not scared of my dog. My dog isnt scared of me but he knows who's running things in this house. When I tell him to do something he immediately does it. Can't say he'll listen anyone else. lol. But he listens to me.

3. Suki

Suki Guest

no, absolutely not ever. doesn't make for a good owner, imo.

4. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

well thats what i mean..not like the dog runs and hides..but wont stand off against an order..i had to post this because some lady wants to give me her pitbull because she is scared of it..it growled at her ..it just bothers me how many people get pitbulls and cant handle them..

5. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

I wouldnt call it fear, but at first when i got my dog i was a little worried of doing some mistakes that would make me fear my own dog or just not be confident with him on the future.

Now that im getting a new one, i have the exact same feeling but i take it on the positive way, i mean, i'll do my best to raise this pup right socialized,with a good diet and apply my experience (good and bad) on him, 10 years ago i didnt know the things i know now and i feel more prepared to raise this pup more healthy and trained than i did with my other dog.

6. Suki

Suki Guest

i think ANY owner that can't handle/control their dog is a time bomb waiting to go off. And yes, with the "pit bull" inparticular, just because of the rep it already has, then add the fact that an owner can't control the animal and there's a recipe for disaster. Another story in the making.No doubt, again, an animal should never have to wonder, nor think it's in control. When dominance is NOT established, problems begin. and cripes, in terms of this breed, do we not have enough already?!!!!
    Good luck with the dog. Sadly, your story is far too common, ...:(
    I sure wish people would research this breed prior to obtaining.

7. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

*sigh*...I bet if you took the dog you'd have no problems with him/her at all.

8. well i would have to say no i'm not afraid of my dogs at all. as said before call it fear/respect whatever, but in reality it is fear they feel or else they would take the dominant roll, or at least try to. you got to remember these are animals. i doubt respect enters much into their thinking. yeah they respect you cuz they are afraid. you don't have to beat a dog to make it afraid either. tone of voice, body language, NILF. they know when you're pissed at them.

you know the lady probablly couldn't handle any type of dog.

9. well if you have that exact same feeling, you should do alot of research and maybe get a mentor to check in with on a regular basis. once things are screwed up, it's not always easy to "unscrew" them. not criticizing, just saying if you openly admit you're concerned whether you can raise the dog properly, it's not a good thing.

10. koening

koening Top Dog

I definatlly am not afraid of my dog. I got him as a pup. I was 14 at the time. I never for a second let him take the lead, and I kept him in the line of respect. I never bonded with a dog like i have with this one, and maybee that's why I get along with him that good. He listens to me like I am his god, and he even off the leash, he never gets more than a 1-2 feeth away from me, he comes, he sits, well he doesn't quit stay :D , but he obeys my commands, even if other people are around and calling him. If you're afraid of your dog, he will feel that, and will use that in his advantage ! When he does this, only bad things can come.....

11. dogged

dogged Big Dog

Not at all. I've never had my dogs growl at me. My dogs are allowed on the furniture and in my bed at night (of course not all together). When I want them off my bed/couch, they do so. When I sit down, they move out of my way. If I want to look in their ears, brush their teeth, take their food, clip their nails, give them pills, and etc then they tolerate it very well. Yet I still respect them for what they are: dogs.

12. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I would not feed a dog I am afraid of. Never have owned one either. My dogs do not fear me either, they respect me but they do not fear me.

13. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

i feel that its easier with a pup that you bring up..than trying to fix someone elses 50lb mistake....food aggression,ect..if not fixed early grows to be a big problem ..honestly if it was a pup i would take it..but being a full grown dog that is set in his own ways..a pound rescue has been tested..for ha..but to just go and pick up someones dog is risky..

14. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

No no, you got me wrong... i know i can raise the dog properly,did it once and im sure i can do it now even better, as you said, once things are screwed up its hard to turn them other way,thats my point and the reason to be focused on the proper education,diet and handling.

When you get a pup you want to be the best owner ever so he raises into a good dog, i think its good to repeat yourself every day that you gotta be a responsible owner and spend the enough time with your dog, if you dont... then you may end up like this lady that probably didnt give the right education to his dog and now she wants to give away.

Sadly i have seen this too many times, people that buys a dog and never spend the enough time with them (work,family,etc) or just aint prepared to give them the correct education... then when the dog is adult and basically wild or bad handled the owners want to get rid of him when the truth is its 100% owners fault.

We are excited to get this pup, we are waiting close to 1 year to get him on the right time from the right breeder and hopefully to recieve him next week.

Im ready and sure i'll be a good owner but sometimes its good to see what happens if you dont take the responsability and spend the enough time.

15. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

after seriously thinking about it..im going to advise the lady to put the dog to sleep..as much as i love the breed i would rather see a bad dog put to sleep than see a big headache in the future...........to all new owners of the breed if you get a pitbull becauae your friend has one ..please give it to some else as a puppy if you cant handle it..or fix the problem..dont wait till the dog is two years old and then try to pass on your problem..really you do more harm than good.i know my dogs and the way i raised them and the thought of them being a danger to my kids never..never..even crosses my mind..but to go and get a dog i dont know and just bring it home because i feel bad for the dog it is a mistake waiting to happen..

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
  16. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Nope, I wouldn't get a dog I was afraid of, and if I was, then I wouldn't keep it, because keeping a dog you are afraid of leaves a lot of room for dangerous situations...My dogs don't "fear" me, but they know that my boyfriend and I are in charge.

17. I was somewhat nervous of my dog when I first got her, she was almost a year old and had been raised very poorly. She was also nervous of me. But after having her for a year you could not seperate us! We are not just best friends, we are family! I trust her with my life and I hope she trusts me with hers too. The relationships between owner and pit are so unique. There is a connection that I can't even describe. It is the most wonderful dog-person relationship I have ever had.

18. There are only few people to those I as trusts as my dogs .My dogs are not my slaves, they respect me because they feel I stand in every situation behind them. I respect them because they deserve it and I trust them blind. I have never physically punished my dogs, very seldom I have spoken loud to them. If I say to my dog Spike quietly sit down he does it. He has no fear of me, he does it because he likes me. If Spike is not on leash he eats other dogs allive. I have to accept that and must take in, therefore, most of the time to the rope. It is impossible to trust somebody you are afraid of.....

19. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I'm not afraid of my dog, but I have had to occasionally make her fear me. Not too often, I'm glad to say. She's pretty compliant most of the time, and only occasionally needs her butt kicked.

20. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I would never have a dog that I was afraid of. I rememebr at a clinic I worked at a client had a Bloodhound that he would have to take the gun out with him to feed him. I always was thought if it was that serious I would euth the dog.

I broke my dogs as a pup. I have never had to beat my dogs. I always put my dog in a restraint hold we use at work. When Scrappy as a pup got out of hand too hyper I put his but in a restraint hold. When he called down I let him up but not until he calmed down.

I can clip thier nails with them sitting in front of me. Mess with the paw, mouth, ears, roll them on thier back. I can look at them a certain way and they sit their butt down and have a look like "oh Shit". I don't have to yell. I hate it when I hear a owner yelling a command over and over again.

But you have to instill that in them at a young age. Otherwise they will try you. And that goes for any breed. It is a dog and if you do not assume to roll as alpha they will and them you wil have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007