1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do you leash train?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by BBT, Dec 21, 2011.

1. BBT

BBT Big Dog

I see so many pics of guys just letting their dogs walk them with the dogs pulling like crazy. Seldom do I see a prong or choke collar.

Why is that?

Looks bad for the breed to the public eye.

Keep em under control not out of control.

2. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

100 % agree!

3. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

If you want to look good in the public's eye then get you a poodle and go prance around in a dog park. Just because a dog is pulling doesnt mean its out of control. Its good exercise for the dog and you, unless you don't have enough ass to keep it under control. Not everyone walks thier dogs in public.

4. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Yep Yep Yep.

5. BBT

BBT Big Dog

An APBT that is under control looks better in the public eye than your out of control poodle. I prefer an APBT at the end of my leash. Good exercise for the dog???? HOW BOUT EXERCISE is good exercise for the dog.

I understand about yard dogs, I grew up on one.

** Theres a difference between pulling and out of control dog walking you versus you walking a dog that pulls.

6. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

Really so having a prong or a choke on an APBT is bad? no ALL dogs if there ever going to be on a leash should be leash trained PERIOD! No dog should be allowed to pull a person if your dog is pulling you down the street your wrong the end. Iv seen WP dogs that walk right by there owners there is no excuse your dog should NOT be allowed to pull you when you don't want ie bike, skateboard etc

7. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

bgblok68

My dogs only have to pull if I tell them to pull! No action without my permission!
    I´m not just a weight for my dog that has to handle is desire, he has to serve me and if I tell him to heel, he´d be better of to do so, if I decide he should pull he would be also better of to do so!!!!!

I´m not my dogs toy or butler, I´m his master and therefore I decide what he´s about to do and what not!

And I don´t give a damn if I do walk in public or deep in the woods if I decide I´d be happy to give the command heel he has to! Period!

8. Seems we have a fur mommy or two.

9. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Look ladies,when i walk one of my dogs i want it to get the maximum amount of exercise that it can out of that specific exercise.Just because the dog pulls dosen't mean that i'm not in control,when its time for me to control the dog i will simply use a little backbone and steer the dog in the direction i want it go.I don't need a collar to handle a dog for me,if you do you probably should have gotten a poodle.And if anybody is concerned with what the public was gonna think, you damn sure shouldn't have gotten a APBT.I don't often walk my hounds in the public eye, but if i did why should i care what they think? They don't give a fuck about me and my dog,so why should i care about them?

10. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

I don't know about that boogie,one of them fur mommies has one that is "as game as they come" lol.

11. BBT

BBT Big Dog

There's pets and there's yard dogs. Yard dogs still deserve a name and leash time however often you choose. If it doesn't deserve a name or one on one time here and there then why feed?

12. BBT

BBT Big Dog

when your dog walks you in public do you put his spiked harness on him or does be prefer to walk you while wearing his spiked collar?

13. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Fur Mommie!!!! LOL!!!!!
    How I´d love to be one!!!!!

See I´m working a a k9 patroler for a town in south germany, the dog has to be under command but I do understand that someone whit minor skills simply can´t teach his dog a simple lesson...... LOL!!!!!
    My dogs at home and my dogs in service are tools of my will so simply spoken!
    So if you walk in public does it make you a little wood if people almost fall over your leash or rushin out of your way when that creme of a man walks with his dog and they just happen to pass your way??????
    Hell I can release my dogs and tell them the direction I want them to go, left, right, back, forth but I do understand it needs some brains to teach an animal what you expect of him but you know sometimes they do have more than the weight that is trapped on the other side of their leash!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

14. BBT

BBT Big Dog

I also wanted to add that anytime as a child or adult that I took one of our game dogs out in public it got positive attention. A few people have shyed away walked other side but mostly people are attracted to GB APBT. And even with scars my dogs still end up getting pet etc. People see a poodle and theres nothing exciting but they see a pit and they are magnetized to it. And like I said above there's a difference between walking a dog that pulls and a dog pulling you around.

15. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

You got a reading comprehension problem? I told you i don't often walk my dogs in the public's eye.But do to your extreme density i will put it in laymen terms for you...."PEOPLE DON"T SEE ME WALKING MY DOG".What the fuck is all this spiked harness/collar talk?Are you trying to imply that i own the stereotypical big bad blue bully with the spiked collar?If so i think your pretty far off,those dogs will suit your type much better as they tend to be much more obedient, do to there lack of being capable of anything that requires physical exertion.

16. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Your gonna talk about the public eye,yet you walk a scared up dog out in public?I never said the dog pulls me around,the dogs pulls as hard as it wants, and i simply add the need resistance to counter.All you gotta do is stiffen up your legs and lean back,its not rocket science.

17. BBT

BBT Big Dog

. Your an idiot. An idiot that exercises his poodles by having them pull his dumb ass around. You must be that conditioning genius we all heard about. Obviously this doesnt apply to you.

18. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Never stated!
    Thing is that either you are walking your dog in public or train him two different things!!!!!!
    So I´m a fur mommie??????
    I do leash train my dogs and I do obedient train my dogs and I do Schutzhund train my dogs and also personal protection train my dogs and there´s no breed that I couldn´t get under my command as I´m the master and the dog is my tool!

Have you ever been deep in the mountains with your dogs????

Hell there are areas you are better of to leash your dog and you are better of he won´t pull as you might slip and fall!!!!!!

We do tracking tours twice a year for 2 weeks each and believe me your dog better knows how to heel!

19. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

I expect other things from my dogs,so i dedicate my spare time to that.If i were going to teach a dog to go left,right,back,and fourth, i think i would choose a golden retriever and take him duck hunting because that's the only time i could see that task of any use.

20. BBT

BBT Big Dog

No idea why you chose to put your two cents in when this topic doesn't apply to you. And yes my dogs have been seen in public with scars. Kennel accidents happen and there's no spiked collar or spiked harness OR DOG PULLING ME AROUND.