1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Docking dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pitty123, Dec 16, 2014.

1. old goat

old goat CH Dog

lol Sai he thinks he can get a few ounces off the tail . i guess he never really thought of how much hair that would be . maybe he better think about shaving the dog . i would only take off the dead part of the tail and leave the rest .

2. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Blue that might be an idea if you want to do it on the cheap.

3. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

it works as long as the circulation is cut off to the dead piece,,the dog will feel nothing as it becomes numb....it ain't about being cheap as long as ya keep it clean the band will also stop the infection spreading upwards...seen it done plenty times back in the day..with-out any problems......

4. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

..some just chopped threw the bit of tail bone once the flesh is dead..but a lot of times it just dropped off..........

5. keystone

keystone CH Dog

you like dog tail soup to ...you expert in it right?

6. keystone

keystone CH Dog

your Christmas dinner.......lol

7. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

i was basically saying that the balance is going to get thrown off, given the dog had a tail to begin with. In other words, I have heard of mums clipping off tails of new born pups, by mistake, and those situations may have a different outcome.
    I was pointing out that some breeds dock, some dont. I like tails, besides when they knock the shit out of your body, or fling your shit off coffee tables. Interesting threads..you never know which road they will wind down...some "genetic thread" over flow..

when a dog with proper movement moves left, the tail leans or "tails" right, and when dog moves right, the tail "tails" left. basic anatomy.

AGK - we know your situation can only lead one way or the other, and most of us just want the dogs tail to get better, and that may mean a snip. keep us posted man - wish for the best.

8. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

and send the dead piece to k-stone...he needs a replacement for his..d**k,,lol...hang on he never had any...so this be a first...did ya miss me k-stone....lol.....

9. keystone

keystone CH Dog

the hand of a child is quik filled up ....hope it make's you happy ...
    yes we al missed you ..very very much

10. CHAMP

CHAMP Big Dog

Balance won't get thrown off, that's akin to a wives tale. It sounds good in theory but it's been proven false many times.

"Do you know why a dogs tail goes back and forth? Because it's there".

Sent from my microwave using Tapatalk

11. keystone

keystone CH Dog

hope you learned something in the mean time............

12. Mop Master

Mop Master Yard Boi AKA MopMaster, Gutter Boy & LWG

never said it was new, it said i agree with it! need brail? lol

13. Mop Master

Mop Master Yard Boi AKA MopMaster, Gutter Boy & LWG

might wanna check them bifocals, i said i heard EUROS arguing that on peds. never heard me advocate anything about docking dogs.

14. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

well, with other breeds also it has not seemed to bother their performance, but again, those dogs are docked at a young age. I think the reason / time(shortly after birth,later in life) could possibly be determental in the outcome of the balance being affected, but that is my thoughts..Iv had dogs without tails and dogs with tails also - and the ones with tails always have better agility and ability as well.
    could this have been concidered in the wives tail or myth factor of the thread?

15. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Dogs use the very base of their tail (Which you can see tightening, shifting and moving during performance) and those thin muscles running down the stifle for part of their balancing. The "whip" part of the tail is but a minute part of it. Without the whip portion of their tail, they tend to adjust very easily. They use their tails mainly for what PS alluded to as to feel and bearing.

Dogs' tails are not rudders. They're just tails. Overall balance is in the abilities within the entire dog. Natural agility, equilibrium and the speed and accuracy of muscle use. A seriously tired dog loses some balance based on the lack of aeration to those muscles and reliance on its whip portion of the tail is of little help.

I've seen more than a few dogs with docked tails or having been born with stubby tails perform with a lot of balance and smoothness. I think we're over emphasizing the importance of the whip.

16. CHAMP

CHAMP Big Dog

Bingo!!

17. CHAMP

CHAMP Big Dog

No, it would be considered coincidence. You believed the myth BECAUSE of that coincidence.

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

quote>cant remember where i heard/read it.....if that is called experience then I dont know what experience means LMAO.

19. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Great post!!

20. MCM_VIII

MCM_VIII Pup

No experience myself but my grandpa used to say it really didn't make a difference, Remember him telling my dad once that people went though a phase actually thinking it made the dog better. Then they found out that it didn't amount to anything really. As was already stated tails to a dog aren't like a cheetah for instance where they use them to turn at 60 mph and things of that nature. More of a personal preference thing IMO, As to say if I would do it I can't say that I would. But my preference tends more towards a bulldog with a docked tail looks kind of goofy, Ears I don't mind but to me they just look better with a tail much like I think a rott or a doberman looks stupid with their tails. But it all goes by what we've been conditioned to seeing, Bulldogs usually all have tails and the other two breeds I mentioned don't. Heck a doberman in London for instance where they outlawed it I believe looks more like a sighthound if it wasn't for their coloring.