1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog Barking??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Taz18, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

I have a 4month old male pit.And no im not going to sit here and lie i bought him as for me to have a friend to play with catch,tug of war,to go walking with,but then again i also bought him for him to protect my yard not 24/7 but i want him to bark when hes older when he sees someone approach the yard..he will not be outside everysingle day he is inside most of the time but like i said when he get older like a year i would like for him to bark when someone appraches the yard,house,property??Also at what age do they start barking?? I have heard him bark but it's rare when he bark's..And no I am not one of those bad owners that u hear about I take perfectly good care of my dog 24/7..So is there any steps I can take for him to bark when someone appraches, and im not looking so he can warn me someone is near??Yes i know he's too young but when he gets older..??Any suggestions would be great on what I can do??And please no bad comments..Thanks

2. bdub

bdub Top Dog

hell bark when he gets oldeer dont worry about it,and hell get used to who comes to your home and who doesnt,,killer used to never bark but i moved and he wasnt used to the surroundings and he started barking like crazy,give your dog some time

3. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

i wish a few of mine would STOP barking lol. one of my dogs, is quiet all day, even of the other dogs get excited, hes quiet. people that he knows can come in an around the yard and hes fine. he will start to bark if someone comes back there that he knows shouldnt be. i know when i hear him barking that i better look outside!! i wish all of my dogs were like him... unfort. i have a screaming banshee, and a seal that wont shut up :P

4. Suki

Suki Guest

He'll bark when he deems it time to do so, i.e. when he wants to draw your attention to a particular situation. Don't worry about a "time frame". It'll happen. It's natural, and instinctive for a canine, (unless of course there are health issues affiliated with him).

5. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

thats what I was thinking LOL,,I sometimes wish my dogs never learned to bark,,definatly give it time

6. Chopper4me

Chopper4me Big Dog

Mine used to never bark now he won't shut up! if anyone or thing comes near his yard he goes off!

7. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Mine is rather silent. He seems to bark only when he is suspicious of something. He loves barking at homeless ppl too, i guess cuz they smell or something.

8. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

My dog never barks, even when someone comes to the door. She makes this high pitched whine constantly though, it's aggravating & I've had the police called on us more than once. The neighbors think we're neglecting a child, not crate training a dog.

He'll bark eventually, but even if he doesn't his appearence is usually enough to deter intruders.

9. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

I have one that won't bark, and one that barks at friggin' everything! In a way, be happy that the dog doesn't bark at every little thing. I'm sure though, when it's matured a bit more, it will know the proper time to deter off creepy strangers by barking and such.

I suggest you get him out and socialize him with all sorts of people - people of different ages and different races. This will allow him to get more of a feel towards human beings, thus allowing him to be able to tell when someone is "good" and when someone is "bad". Since they can read people better than we can, he ought to know when/if there's a strange person in his presence.

Good luck with him!

10. i tell ya taz if you were wanting a guard dog you couldnt have picked a worse dog for the job unless you have a manfighter wich you shouldnt pit bulls are way to friendly to be used as guard dogs.they rarely bark unless you just have a barker they are just way to friendly to everyone and if your pit sees another dog or another animal chances are he is going to go for them instead of the intruder.so for all these reasons that is why i think they are a awful choice to be used strictley as a guard dog.and besides the people you want to be scared of em aint they will more than likely steal em off of ya,and the folks you want him to be friendly with will probally run up a tree to get away from him.so again not a good choice for a guard dog

11. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

Well i didnt buy him as a guard dog i just want him to bark at people when someone appraches,and ya i get what u guys are saying about a bad guard dog ive heard that before.. but my neigbor has a pit and it will bark at people it doesnt know...

12. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Pits were never bred to be watch dogs. The best examples of the breed tend to be very people loving. Add to that a lot of Pitbulls are not barkers. The only time my dog really barks is when he knows he's going to get to play fetch.

I've heard of people who have yards having to get a guarding breed to guard their Pitbulls so people won't steal them. You read the old storys about champion and grand champion match dogs being stolen..............well, thats why. A lot of them just love everyone. Its accepted among old breed hands that Pitbulls are not the best choice for a guard/watch dog.

You coud keep your dog indoors and he should let you know if anyone is coming by "alerting" when someone comes to the door. If someone comes to the door my dog will run to the door and stare at it, real alert, so I know someone is there. Besides, you always risk making enemies of your neighbors if you have a real barky dog. Its sort of hard to turn on and off.

13. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

Well thanks everyone for all your guys help and yes I understand pitbulls are not good guard dogs..but can u make one a guard dog..lol..i dont think thats possible..lol..like I said my neigbors dog is a pit and it protects his yard 24/7 noone gets near it..and like 2blocks down from my house..the man I know has 2pits to protect his yard..all i want for him is to bark when someone approaches the yard..for him to bark at the person?Is there really anything i can do??if no then just say no please no rude remarks...thank u everyone for ur help..

14. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Pitbulls make bad guard dogs

Pitbulls where not bred to guard estates/property, the majority of pitbulls will most likely hold the flash light for the burglar or open the door for him/her , lol. I have a 8 month , male, pitbull and I have yet to hear him bark, on the other hand I also have a female neo mastiff, she will bark at anyone that gets within 10ft of my house, and if a bad guy dares come in, he will leave without its limbs (she has proven herself too me more than once).

15. correctly bred APBTs only work as good guard dogs as DETERENTS. The general public is scared shitless of these dogs, so when someone (robber) sees a pitbull in a yard, they'll usually chose another target. But, if correctly bred, the APBT will be the first dog to come up to a stranger with a ball and beg for him to throw it.

16. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

lol..ya I seen those dogs that will let anyone play with them..its pretty funny though because you would think that a dog that big would bark at people but no its the other way around..lol..thanks everyone..And ya that's also true "iverson's pits" a robber will get scared just by seeing a pitbull in the yard..

17. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

I've got an English Bulldog/APBT/Mastiff-of-some-sort mutt who is one helluva guard dog, but a very poor watch dog. Why? Whoever owned him before me had him de-barked. He's proved to me that he will not let anyone enter, or at least leave, the house if they do not belong there.

I wouldn't worry to much now, he'll bark when he wants too. I've never known a dog to not alert their owner when someone is at the door, so you should be all good. Theres nothing wrong with wanting a watch dog, but don't expect a bulldog to maul the robber ;) You can, however, expect a bulldog to point the robber in the direction of your valuables, possibly even helping him haul them off.

18. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Can you make one a guard dog? Since this happens too often I'll address that. YES. You can abuse the dog until it becomes afraid and distrusful. At worse they abuse the dog till it becomes a fear biter. SOME Pits have more guarding tendencys but that sort of thing is genetic and often its a sign of a bad temperment (weak nerves).

Now, I know you dont have that in mind Taz. But thats how people too often turn Pitbulls into guard dogs. And a watch dog sort of works the same way, it barks to alert you so you (the alpha) will come deal with the threat, or to say "hey somethings going on". A guard dog deals with the threat itself. But they both have in common that they view people coming into their area as a potental threat.

And thats the problem with Pits as watch or guard dogs. They view new people as friends they haven't met yet. Not a thing to want to change, IMO.

Just get a little yappy terrier. I promise they will alert you if anyone comes on your yard. Or walks past it for that matter. On the other hand, some breeds of hard core guard dogs don't bark, they just attack.

Oh, one more thing to think about. Leaving a Pit out in a yard on a tie-out is asking to have someone steal it. Again, if you have the dog in the house with you, it should alert you to anyone coming to the door, it just won't bark.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2006
  19. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

thanks peensooner i really understand what your saying.. and there is no way that i am going to abuse it thats a no no..but hopefully he will bark when the time is right..hopefully

20. Ja-net

Ja-net Banned

Where did you get all your ameture info from thats not the only way to train an ABPT to be a guard dog there are proper ways to do it without abusing the dog.