1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog chain...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GrChPitBitch, Sep 7, 2004.

1. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

A picture in a seperate thread got me t hinken on this....
    Who out there weighs down the dogs tie out chain?? Eather by doubling the chain up, attaching a piece of chain, etc....?? Im just curious on how you do it, and if it shows results??
    Details apreciated!! LOL

2. dusty

dusty Pup

Not me a single chain wrapped around a tree its 20 ft long so tehy get about 15 ft to run, and its a chain that holds up to 75 pound dogs, nothing out of the ordinary or no extra wieght holding down my dogs as you can see in my dogs picture in a seprate thread the chain that is on her

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  3. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

A picture in a seperate thread got me t hinken on this....<O:p</O:p

Who out there weighs down the dogs tie out chain?? Eather by doubling the chain up, attaching a piece of chain, etc....??<O:p</O:p

Excessive weight on the neck can cause an unnatural downward presure causing damage to the animal’s spinal column and nerves. The whole purpose of using a chain is for containment, not to be a burden on the dogs or condition them.<O:p</O:p

Im just curious on how you do it, and if it shows results?? <O:p</O:p

Details apreciated!! LOL<O:p</O:p

You DON”T. If you want your dog in better shape “WORK” them. This “form” of conditioning applies so much pressure downward upon the spinal column as to actually displacing the vertebra, causing pain and permanent nerve and bone damage. A dogs neck is not designed to carry allot of constant (24-7) weight on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  4. azdog

azdog Big Dog

ARE THE REAL BIG THICK AND HEAVY CHAINS REALLY NECESSARY?I SEE IN THE OLD BOOK ALOT OF PICTURES OF THE DOGS DON'T HAVE GREAT THICK CHAINS.

5. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

¼” chain is more than sufficient for most dogs with 5/16” being the biggest one should use. I just replaced a ¼” chain-25’ long that was used for 5 years and the dog on it is very hyper. It still was in good shape though, so I made two 12.5-foot chains for some pups. Most people go way overboard with the chain size. IMO

6. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

5/16 Hi Test chain is what we like to use, although we do have one that is larger and a couple smaller ones as well for pups...

BB

7. azdog

azdog Big Dog

WHAT ABOUT BULL SNAPS?ALOT OF GUYS CLAIM THERE NOT SAFE.BUT ALL THROUGH PEOPLES WEBSITES YOU SEE THEM USING THEM.

8. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Use them (bullsnaps) if you want to enhance your chances of having a yard accident. They are not meant to be used 24-7. Just like the buckles on your dog’s leash. If the ½ cent spring holding the snap closed is worth possibly loosing your best dog then go ahead and use them.

Allot of people in these dogs do things half assed. It is just as easy to set up your yard correctly as opposed to incorrectly.

9. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Hell no to bullsnaps, I had a bitch get off one, and got into a good male and it cost us her life, learn from other mistakes, DO NOT use them!!!

BB

10. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

I think my dogs are on 1/4" chain (not sure of the exact size)... lol.. i know its not big....
    I use O rings around the collar with padlock to a swivel with a quick link to the chain.. I dont trust bullsnaps... Ive had them get pulled apart, break, then pups got into fights... wasnt fun....
    Ive also had assholes try to take dogs, so that is why they are padlocked.... who said pit bulls were vicious.....
    :rolleyes: ​

11. Use a chain strong enough to hold the dog you use it on. I always use 'O' rings on my dogs. They are a little more secure. The Bull snap has a small pin holding the snap closed and it can break at anytime. JMHO

12. MTNDOG

MTNDOG Big Dog

I use 1/4 inch thick chains never needed anything bigger. I also would NEVER use bullsnaps they dont last long.

13. azdog

azdog Big Dog

Thanks For Your Thoughts,i Sould Have Anserd My Own Question On Bullsnaps.i Use To Raise Rotts. Before I Got Into Bulldogs,and My Rotts Would Brake The Bullsnaps,i Just Thought Maybe The Grade Everyone Else Was Using Was Higher,but I Should Have Known Better.thanks Again.