1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog poisoned.. need some info/opinions

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ganja, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ganja

ganja Big Dog

so, my boyfriends dog (an overweight black lab) has apparently been poisoned somehow... we don't know how, or when...
    she's never unattended in her yard, nor is she allowed to roam off leash in crowed areas..

anyhow... according to the vet it's been "a while" (not quite sure but I think he meant a couple of days/weeks)

now she has vomited a couple times and her gum started bleeding and that's why she was taken to the vet.

however, vet says we have to wait this out as he don't know what kind of poison she has ingested...

do you think they should seek out a second opinion?
    I don't know... seems fishy a vet that tells you to "wait it out" and that it's "not on his hands anymore" when you bring in a poisoned dog because "we don't know what area it has affected"... seriously?
    shouldn't he be running bloodwork or anything?!

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

better hope it wasnt anti freeze!

3. Poisoned

Poisoned Big Dog

How long since she went? What have they done testing-wise? Yeah, doing a full blood testing seems like it would be ti FIRST thing done. Not just saying "Let's see what happens with a poisoned dog."
    If you want to, call other vets in the area.

4. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

I would check with another vet.He should have atleast pulled blood,so he could have some sort of idea of what was happening inside.

5. ganja

ganja Big Dog

that is the thing...
    they didn't do ANY tests!
    at least bloodwork would seem like the normal thing to do...

I think it's rat poison that affects the liver quite badly and is about the most common poison that dogs ingest, so it would make sense to check the liver by running some bloodwork, or am I completely wrong?

anyways... I'll go over tomorrow first thing in the morning and have them get a second opinion with a actually (excuse me, but that's just how I view things right now) qualified vet

6. ganja

ganja Big Dog

it was kinda like "oh, vomiting, sleepy, bleeding from her mouth, poisoning"

now don't get me wrong, she has every symptom of having a poisoning... but really... at least try to LOOK like your doing your job next time...

7. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I'd take the dog to another vet,wouldn't hurt anything and might do some good.To me it sounded like the vet pretty much did nothing at all,but I bet he didn't forget to bill you,did he.Good luck with the dog.

8. simms

simms CH Dog

is there any bruising on the dogs belly or inside of legs? if you suspect and is possible rat poisoning than you need to get some vitamin K in that dog.

9. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Sometimes these vets(and unfortunately human doctors)don't even try I'm afraid.Just content in getting overpaid for nothing instead of actually earning their money.We had a cow trying to have a calf,the vet come down,said he couldn't do a C-section(he'd had done one for us before:mad:) and charged us $150 for driving 20 miles to our farm,but he was nice and offered to shoot the cow for free:mad:Took him 3 shots by the way:rolleyes: To top that,my wife went to the ER with stomach pains,they took a urine test and blood test,sent her home with an antibiotic and a $2100 bill and said she was fine,a month later,after more problems we found out it was her gall bladder.I don't have a problem paying someone for their services but it makes me mad when they want paid and don't want to even try,and then charge like they just done some wonderful miracle.I hope your dog gets better but I'd look around for a vet that will actually run some tests and try and get to the cause of the problem,if the dog has been poisoned it may be running out of time and doesn't have time for guess work.It's bad to lose a dog but if the vet does his best then that's all he can do,if he doesn't then thats really a regretable situation.Best of luck with you dog,I hope it gets better.

10. I would try another vet. If the vet said he did not want to induce vomiting or something like that I would respect that thought as the dog could have eaten something caustic that would do more damage coming back up than staying there. But to not do any other investigative work in the mean time is pretty shoddy. Sounds like he is just going to let the dog run its course with its issue and see if it lives or dies on its own - you could do that on your own without paying someone. =\

11. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

First thing that should have been done was administered powedered charcoal down her throat. eveyone knows that! regardless of what she ate. Thats Number 1 as a preventative. then go from there. It is very hard to pin point exactly what poison was ingested.