1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog with allergies? Itching, Scratching...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Stickynote, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Stickynote

Stickynote Big Dog

One of my INSIDE House dog has allergies I think. Recently he has started itching and sctatching like crazy! He's giving himself lots of red irritated areas on his underside. He also likes to lick his paws til they are soaked!! Drives me crazy. I am always trying to deter him from doing this with replacing the act with something positive. It's not bordom I know that.

The vet said she would like to take a $85 blood test - send it to a lab for a list of food allergies if any. He eats Diamond Lamb and Rice. I will make the vet appt within the next 2 wks if I have to.

Has anyone ever tried Dynovite before? I've tried Neosporin, hydrocortisone, baby powder, etc.... Nothing is working. Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance!

2. Have ya tried Benedryl ?? 2 mg per 2 lbs body weight

3. Suki

Suki Guest

You can use otc medicines, but they only help the syptoms, and do nothing for the actual problem. The $ spent on a blood test, or any type of test to help isolate and treat the allergen is worth the cost. Think of your dog's discomfort, and try to eliminate the actual problem itself. Yes, in the mean time, benedryl is commonly used.

4. Dont need a blood test to check for Sarcoptic Mange....give that one a try.

5. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

I noticed you said 'he has started itching' ,so he wasn't doing it his whole life.there is something new in his diet or environment that he is reacting to.Have you started using a new carpet deodorizer or room freshener?brought in anything new?
    I also noticed you said he is eating Diamond dog food.There are a few lawsuits being filed against the manufacturers of Diamond for contaminate feed leading to the deaths of numerous dogs from The molded corn used in the feed.This feed was distributed in many states,and it is quite possible you may have purchased some of the affected feed.I would try changing his diet to a more natural feed.I had a female who was prone to allergies from the time of 6 mos old.I changed her diet and started giving her a portion of raw food each day.Such as chicken or beef.I never had any more problems after that.She was 7 when the storm took her.

6. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Try A Chicken/rice Food, Alot Of Dogs Can Become Allergic To Lamb. I Dont Like To Feed Lamb.

7. Stickynote

Stickynote Big Dog

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions! I appreciated them all.

8. JenRxTech

JenRxTech Pup

I had a pug mix that had grass allergies, so in the summer she would scratch herself a lot. I took her to the vet because of her skin irritation, and he gave her a prescription of prednisone (oral steroid) at a low dose for times when she was having bad problems. He also told me to use benadryl, but I only used it a couple of times because it made her so drowsy. You may want to check with your vet about prednisone.

9. Bink17

Bink17 Pup

Sorry to hear about your loss Whiskey bay. :(