1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dogfighting Fact Sheet

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by KURUPT, Jul 13, 2004.

1. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

1. What is dogfighting?
    Dogfighting is a sadistic "contest" in which two dogs—specifically bred, conditioned, and trained to fight—are placed in a pit (generally a small arena enclosed by plywood walls) to fight each other, for the spectators' gambling and entertainment. Fights average nearly an hour in length and often last more than two hours. Dogfights end when one of the dogs is no longer willing or able to continue. In addition to these dogfights, there are reports of an increase in unorganized, more spontaneous street fights in urban areas.

2. How does it cause animal suffering?

The injuries inflicted and sustained by dogs participating in dogfights are frequently severe, even fatal. The American pit bull terriers used in the majority of these fights have been specifically bred and trained for fighting and are unrelenting in their attempts to overcome their opponents. With their extremely powerful jaws, they are able to inflict severe bruising, deep puncture wounds, and broken bones.

Dogs used in these events often die of blood loss, shock, dehydration, exhaustion, or infection hours or even days after the fight. Other animals are often sacrificed as well. Some owners train their dogs for fights using smaller animals such as cats, rabbits, or small dogs. These "bait" animals are often stolen pets or animals obtained through "free to good home" advertisements.

3. Are there other concerns?

Yes. Numerous law enforcement raids have unearthed many disturbing facets of this illegal "sport." Young children are sometimes present at the events, which can promote insensitivity to animal suffering, enthusiasm for violence, and a lack of respect for the law. Illegal gambling is the norm at dogfights. Dog owners and spectators wager thousands of dollars on their favorites. Firearms and other weapons have been found at dogfights because of the large amounts of cash present. And dogfighting has been connected to other kinds of violence—even homicide, according to newspaper reports. In addition, illegal drugs are often sold and used at dogfights.

4. What other effects does the presence of dogfighting have on people and animals in a community?

Dogs used for fighting have been bred for many generations to be dangerously aggressive toward other animals. The presence of these dogs in a community increases the risk of attacks not only on other animals but also on people. Children are especially at risk, because their small size may cause a fighting dog to perceive a child as another animal.

5. Why should dogfighting be a felony offense?

There are several compelling reasons. Because dogfighting yields such large profits for participants, the minor penalties associated with misdemeanor convictions are not a sufficient deterrent. Dogfighters merely absorb these fines as part of the cost of doing business. The cruelty inherent in dogfighting should be punished by more than a slap on the hand. Dogfighting is not a spur-of-the-moment act; it is a premeditated and cruel practice.

Those involved in dogfighting go to extensive lengths to avoid detection by law enforcement, so investigations can be difficult, dangerous, and expensive. Law enforcement officials are more inclined to investigate dogfighting if it is a felony. As more states make dogfighting a felony offense, those remaining states with low penalties will become magnets for dogfighters.

6. Do some states already have felony laws?

Yes. Dogfighting is illegal in all 50 states and a felony offense in almost every state.

7. Should being a spectator also be a felony?

Yes. Spectators provide much of the profit associated with dogfighting. The money generated by admission fees and gambling helps keep this "sport" alive. Because dogfights are illegal and therefore not widely publicized, spectators do not merely happen upon a fight; they seek it out. They are willing participants who support a criminal activity through their paid admission and attendance.

8. What can I do to help stop dogfighting?

If you live in one of the states where dogfighting is still only a misdemeanor, please write to your state legislators and urge them to make it a felony. To find out how your state treats dogfighting, visit our page on State Dogfighting Laws.

We encourage you also to write letters to the media to increase public awareness of the dangers of dogfighting and to law enforcement officials to urge them to take the issue seriously. We have provided sample letters in this packet. You may want to display our dogfighting poster in your community; additional copies can be ordered from The HSUS.

If you suspect that dogfighting is going on in your own neighborhood, alert your local law enforcement agency and urge agency officials to contact The HSUS for practical tools, advice, and assistance.

2. CRG

CRG Top Dog

is this put out by the humane society?

3. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

I've seen things like this posted on the net before. As a matter of fact this group that I know of will post things like that. I'll see if I can dig up some more information.

4. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

The fact sheet above is a shining example of the gross misinformation, being passed off as fact. The HSUS is the leading cause of death and torture to the breed. The what to look for signs, have led to thousands of innocent dogs and owners being hassled, and dogs put down. (Psst, he has 3 dogs and a tire in a tree, he must fight dogs.) :rolleyes: It runs in the same vein as the assinine law that requires vets to turn in suspected dog-fighters, simply the most ignorant piece of legislation ever. All it does is keep dogs from getting the necessary medical attention they need. Many an accidental kennel fight has ended in serious injury, only to have the owner not bring the animal in because of fear of being suspected as a dog fighter. And true dog-fighters, the real deal, know just as much veterinary knowledge as a lot of vets. So please, lets educate not only ourselves, but all those not intimately familiar with our sacred breed.

5. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

I know what you mean by that. People see me with my 6 almost 7 month old pup and they just freak out. I mean really freak out. I'm like damn she's still a baby and she's not going to bite. I tell her that I spoil the shit out of her and she's like a lil kid to me. She goes "everywhere" with me. She guards my car like hell too. lol. She won't let anyone just walk up to my car while we are in it. Anyways. THere are a lot of people out there uneducated and I feel great everytime I go to the park because I talk to someone different and just change their minds about how pitbulls are andhow they think. its kinda like class sessions. lol. Once I gave a small lecture to this group of kids from a daycare at this park on how pit bulls are misjudged. I was just walking her and kids started running and screaming cuz the dumb lady told them to because she said my dog would bite. So I walked over there and said hey come here. I told them to walk up slowly and just sit in a group. And they did. They are curious as to why people are scared of them. So one by one I taught them how to act when they see a dog. Whether its on a leash or running loose. It was fun. So by the time I left I had changed 15 lil minds on pitbulls. Even the silly day care lady. lol. I shouldn't have called her dumb. She's just misinformed. So I guess I made a difference.

6. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Yes, exactly my point. Now there are 15 more people out there with a good start on making an informed decision, less likely to believe all the misinformation fed 'em. Who knows, maybe one or more will go on to also pass on the info. The lady, hopefully now has a better understanding to pass along to her charges.