1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dogs Understand Human Smiles, Scowls

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Vicki, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Dogs Understand Human Smiles, Scowls
    Feb 12, 2015 12:00 PM ET // by Jennifer Viegas

Feeling happy or mad? A dog can tell your mood just by looking at the expression on your face.

New research in the journal Current Biology represents the first solid evidence that an animal other than humans can discriminate between emotional expressions in another species.

As any dog owner knows, canines are skilled at figuring us out, but previously more attention was paid by scientists to how dogs read us using their other senses, such as smell and hearing, and by observing our behaviors. The latest study strongly suggests that the sight alone of a smile, frown, scowl and more conveys our moods to dogs.

"We think the dogs in our study could have solved the task only by applying their knowledge of emotional expressions in humans to the unfamiliar pictures we presented to them," co-author Corsin Müller of the University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna said in a press release.

For the study, Müller and his team took photos of the same person making either a happy or an angry face. The researchers then showed the photos to dogs, which were trained to discriminate between the happy and angry expressions. The researchers then showed only the upper or lower halves of the images to the dogs, which lost none of their ability to discriminate.

The researchers next presented the dogs with photos of different people making their own happy and angry expressions. Müller and his colleagues mixed up the images, sometimes showing the dogs one person or the other, or showing the upper or lower halves of the pictures.

The dogs were able to select the angry or happy face more often than would be expected by random chance in every case.

"Our study demonstrates that dogs can distinguish angry and happy expressions in humans," lead author Ludwig Huber of the University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna's Messerli Research Institute said. He added that "they can tell that these two expressions have different meanings, and they can do this not only for people they know well, but even for faces they have never seen before."

He continued that "it appears likely to us that the dogs associate a smiling face with a positive meaning and an angry facial expression with a negative meaning."

Supporting this is the fact that dogs have a hard time learning to associate an angry human face with a reward, suggesting that they already know -- based on prior experience -- that mad people aren’t likely to offer treats and head rubs.

More studies are in the works to learn more about how dogs recognize human emotions. The researchers also plan to study how dogs themselves express different emotions, and how their feelings are influenced by those of their owners or other people.

"We expect to gain important insights into the extraordinary bond between humans and one of their favorite pets, and into the emotional lives of animals in general," Müller said.

It could be that dogs are so close to humans that they understand us better than any other species. But maybe other pets, such as cats, understand our expressions too.

Dogs Understand Human Smiles, Scowls : Discovery News

The answer to that remains unknown to science for now, but anecdotal evidence suggests that other animals can also read our moods with a brief glance.

2. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I call bullshit on that study....Dogs SENSE emotions/emotional content given off by each individual human, they cant sense emotions through a picture LOL

How the fuck do dogs show you what they like and what they dont like in a picture? Do they wag there tails at the picture they like and not wag there tails at a picture they dont like? Or do they place one picture at each end of the room to see which picture the dog walks to first? Or do they use a dog psychic to ask the dog which picture he prefers? LMAO

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I just wanted to add that I hope our taxes arent used to fund that kind of DUMB ASS INSIGNIFICANT research.

oakgrove likes this.
  4. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

More anthropomorphic bullshit. Right from Candy Cane Lane, USA. Speedo already said the rest of what I would have said.

5. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

Come on, guys. Have you never had a dog return your smile? Do you think a dog can't recognize when your lips are pulled back and you're showing your teeth? Do you really think a dog doesn't use his eyes as well as his instincts?

6. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Dogs do not return there smile as dogs have no concept of a smile. Lips being pulled back showing teeth in the animal kingdom is USUALLY a sign of aggression. Although dogs do use there eyes for certain things the eyes can only tell them what there basic primitive instincts can comprehend, and a picture of a human smiling or frowning is not one them.

There are some dogs that show there teeth without any aggression involved in what some call a smile , but only we humans perceive that teeth showing as a smile, hence why we call it a smile but too a dog its just a inherited or learned trait like wagging his tail.

7. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

oooooooohhhaaaaaa thats funny shit saiy from a pic the dog knows hhaaaaa they know a hell of alot from body language but a pic wwwwwhoaaa thats funny i love it I like vicky

8. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

Check your PM old friend

9. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

I'm not going to comment at length about a study I wasn't engaged in and know little about. But just to address your "Lips being pulled back showing teeth in the animal kingdom is USUALLY a sign of aggression." Of course it usually is. But I fail to see what that has to do with a dog's perception of what he sees in a human's showing his teeth. I mean really -- are we to consider our dogs so stupid as to be unable to perceive happiness in their owners' smiling laughing faces? I believe that a young dog learns and understands early-on at least some of his owner's expressions. I mean truly -- who would doubt it? Take a puppy, any puppy, and begin playing with it. Get your smiling face up into his, pant a bit like you're excited in play, and roughhouse with him a bit. Again, have you never seen a dog, pit bulldogs in particular, return your "smile"? Does the dog perceive it as a "smile"? Of course not. What then does he perceive it as? A bit of mirth and good times is all.

Come on, let's not insult our dogs' intelligence. They have eyes with which to see gladness in our faces -- ears with which to hear our gladness as well. Hell, I'd go so far as to say if they couldn't do these things we wouldn't even want them around. Jeez, let's all of us strive to be at least as intelligent about our dogs as they are about us... jeez!

10. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

A dog perceives showing of teeth in another animal a sign of aggression one can assume that showing of teeth in ANY species can be what the dogs perceive in the tooth is aggression. You see animals dont smile or frown, only humans have the ability to do that and the comprehension to understand what a smile means. If you read that article it was saying that a dog could tell the difference between a smile or frown from JUST LOOKING AT A PICTURE, in which I call bullshit because a dog NEEDS more then just there eyes to comprehend another persons emotional content.

I am not insulting the dogs intelligence I am merely stating the truth of what it is. All the things you've mentioned like playing with the puppy and the dogs eyes seeing our gladness/actions or hearing the tone of our voices all comes with actual INTERACTION in which the dog can use ALL its senses to FEEL our emotional content/state. A dog just looking at a picture CANT SENSE NOTHING and wont be able to feel our emotional content to make a judgement of how one feels at that time just by looking at a picture. Most people with a lot of experience in dogs understand and know the limits of a dogs intelligence very well. A dog on the other hand could NEVER understand/fathom a humans intelligence.

11. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Not all dogs are the same Saiy so I wouldn't be so sure. I'm under the belief that some dogs might have the natural ability to do so, some can certainly be trained to recognize a smile looking at picture. I don't think this research is anything more other than what I just said.

12. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

So what you are saying is that you flat out reject the results of the test. That is of course your privilege. I would, however, point out one other thing regarding your:

"A dog just looking at a picture CANT SENSE NOTHING and wont be able to feel our emotional content to make a judgement of how one feels at that time just by looking at a picture."

It's true of course that a dog, in looking at a mere picture, can't feel the emotional content of the subject pictured. But then neither can a human being looking at that same picture judge the emotional content of the subject pictured any better than a dog can. In other words the smile in the picture might well be a false one. Which makes both dog and man equally likely to misjudge the emotional content depicted on a photograph. But for you to declare that a dog can't tell the difference, even on a photograph, between a smiling man and, say, an angry one, seems to me a bit rash.

Anyway, with a reservation or two regarding the manner of the test, it strikes me as a worthwhile effort likely to provide much valuable food for thought. Somehow the nearer I come to recognizing the dog as an "emotional" entity besides being a mere set of mechanical instincts, the more I'm able to appreciate him.

13. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I firmly believe with Maff that a dog can usually perceive your feelings and intentions with it, by way of softness, gentleness, petting and softness and sweetness of tone in your voice. Those are different things to me than what this "study" professes or suggests. A pic? No thank you. Most pups I ever had would be in a big hurry to rip the photo to shreds and scatter it all over hell before they even saw the subject. LMAO

14. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Not all dogs are the same but all dogs function within the same level or class in the animal kingdom. Only humans function on a whole another level/class.

Training a animal to do something and having a animal learning it or comprehending it on his own are two TOTALLY different things. The research is suggesting that animals can recognize peoples smiles/emotional state from just looking at pictures of facial expressions alone.

For example we view a smile as happy and a frown as sad but people can smile or frown regardless how they actually feel inside so we wont truly know as people can put on a show and lie about how they feel on the outside. A dog on the other hand if it interacts with you can actually sense your true emotions regardless of ones fake smile or frown because a dog does not solely rely on his eyes to determine ones emotional state as the dog can actually sense your true inner feelings with all his other senses combined to draw out and make that conclusion of ones true emotional state.

15. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

One thing I learned early on is that the happiest time in a dog's life was usually when it was a pup. I sweet talk pups like most, so when one is in competition, I baby talk and sweet talk it for the most part then, too, as I believe that made the dog as happy as any other time in it's life. Uplifting at a time when it is so important.

Sure, there are times for a little bit louder urgings, but for the most part, that inner power responds to the old gentle ways of when it was a pup most favorably.

16. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I think such a study may often mistake a dog's feeling, seeing and reading, then reacting, for human like rationale. Nothing with a high degree of rationale keeps charging something that's seriously kicking it's ass and does it 'til they can't anymore. Doesn't make them stupid. Just makes them intensely geared for their intended purpose.

17. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I already mentioned about a smile in a pic being faked to ursaminor but the fact is ONLY humans associate/perceive a smile with being happy and a frown as being sad regardless of how that person truly feels on the inside a dog on the other hand can never perceive a facial expression in a picture alone.

Food for thought on a useless experiment is not a worthwhile effort IMO there are much more important things to focus on in this world. Dogs instincts are not mechanical , they are EMOTIONAL instincts.

Like TDK said and I quote> Those are different things to me than what this "study" professes or suggests. A pic? No thank you. Most pups I ever had would be in a big hurry to rip the photo to shreds and scatter it all over hell before they even saw the subject. LMAO

18. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Yes the two are different things but dogs learn from us by association so if you smile before giving it a scratch it will learn to associate that expression as something positive as happiness and I think its recognizable by some.

19. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Very true. I just don't show 'em any photos before I do that. LMAO

20. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

LMAO hahahahahahahahaaaa