1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dragging chain vs weighted collars and vest

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by Dream Pits, Jun 9, 2010.

1. At what age would it be safe to start dragging light chains?

2. MACH0

MACH0 Pup

How does that work out for you? I thought about doing it but wasn't sure how much weight and whether or not to allow the neck to drag weight as opposed to a weighted collar. I view it as the same shit as a dog being on his chain spot lol.

3. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I feel you on that...I do the same. Pull chains for muscular endurance and flirt for explosiveness!

YIS

4. T.B.K

T.B.K Pup

For a catch dog I use uphill weighted runs or a 8 foot A-frame with A stairs case built into it! The next 2 day we go for a long swim,mill runs, and some time on the spring pole! fallowed by a day of tv! I use a bigger frame dog worked down and get massive power and good wend!
    T.B.K's Czar Druid (226).jpg T.B.K's Czar Druid (200).jpg T.B.K's Czar Druid (191).jpg

5. allbiz00

allbiz00 Pup

Im glad one person on here has common sense. Hand walking and mill is all it takes. I have never heard so much nonsense before in my life.

6. Robber

Robber Big Dog

I think overall it is better on the dog to drag with a good harness than to have a collar/vest weighing them down. It is less strain on the body and if you think about it, whatver kind of work you have them doing is going to involve more pushing/pulling than carrying something on their back...

7. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

8. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

So I just figured I would try this, I am just trying to get my dog in better shape. I have a working pulling harness with tracers and bought a 3.5lb chain (figured I would start light so the dog wouldnt get hurt). Had the dog pull for 10 mins after doing his other workouts and I am thinking about upping the chain weight and pull times (working my way up slow) but what do you think the peak chain weight should be?

9. wisconsingame

wisconsingame Big Dog

i wouldnt go over 15 lbs if u r walking them for long periods of time. i personly walk my dog 1 hour pulling 15lbs onces a week and swim with a 2lbs chain 2 days after that. all of my dogs have been very exposive when i add a little weight training.

10. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

Thanks, good to know

11. KingFisher.

KingFisher. Big Dog

all strengh trainning is that adding muscle (latic acid) to your dog? is it not to contest your dog at his lowest possible weight without losing any of his strengh/power/bite 1lb light or 1lb heavy could make all the difference???????

12. T.B.K

T.B.K Pup

IF you are training a catch-dog the the rule of thumb is to find a work out that will build as much power as possible with out any loss in speed! you have a good game plan to start out with and build on it as you feel necessary. I use a bigger dog and work them down before I do any real wight training! Each dog I have is on a different work out depending on how there are bred and ,what I would like to see them improve on! Keep in mind the dog attack stile! Build on what is there! I like to work mainly strength and weighted exercise one for 1 or 2 weeks (depending on the dog) and then switch it up to endurance and toning One exercise that people dont utilize alot is a low hanging spring pole! Builds great wind, and works the back legs in the same way they would be working while catching and holding! Another good work out for a catch dog is to bite and pull heavy wight! Do what ever the dog is responding to the best! hope I was helpful.

13. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

yeah thanks!

14. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

I compleatly agree!!!!!!!!. our dogs are a cross between boksers and endurance runners if you like. everyting used to upgrade mucle strenght/power is ""stamina"" loss it might be very spectaculair , but that quikly fades of when the heat stroke arives!!!!!!!.....

15. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

on my whippet mix haha, i put a backpack on and put sand in ziplock bags and put them in the side pouches (backpack for dogs). All the weight would sit on her upper shoulders and never caused a problem. She would even sprint with it and had a blast. Seen really good results with that, then playing fetch down the stairs after. Cant wait till my new apbt pup grows up to start the same.

16. hardluck

hardluck Banned

I believe weight training unless if that is what you intend your dog to do is a waste of time. I like to go for endurace and wind over anything else. Slow long distances on the E-mill, roadwork, sprints, fetch anything of that nature lenghthens the dog and gives it a stunning apearance. I feel this is far better than heavy weights, but light may be acceptible but im talking no more than ten pounds if you go that route. Historically speaking i would want my dog to be long winded and long leged instead of bulkey and mucled up. Muscle takes up to much oxygen to move those parts of the body and that dog will surelly gas out. Although different a boxer trains for endurance and might not even touch the weights because they are afraid of muscle ruining their form in the ring. I would look at it that way, but thats the way i think and i simply like the long leged lean stunning apearance myself of a show dog ....

17. hardluck

hardluck Banned

No slang intended with the word show dog either, im talking AADR OR ADBA show dogs...

18. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

more strength does not mean more muscle. you can stay lean in strength training and still get stronger.

19. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Exactly right....Thank you!

20. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

people condition the lungs and not the muscles, doesn't matter how much wind you have if your legs aren't under you. muscular endurance and wind are 2 separate things