1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dumb question... bull baiting?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ganja, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ganja

ganja Big Dog

so.. I've tried the search button, but it didn't pull anything up...

this may sound like a dumb question to some... but anyways lol

I was talking with someone about amstaffs, apbts, the origins of both breeds etc etc...

now from my understanding, apbt were created solely for dog on dog combat...
    but how about bull baiting?
    was the apbt ever used for bull baiting?

2. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

some of the bulldogs used were simular in appearance to large apbts ,tho most any dog capable and willing was used and refered to as bulldogs :cool:

3. kayo45

kayo45 Top Dog

Olde English Bulldogs were used for bullbaiting. When that got banned, People turned to matching dogs which eventually led to the creation of the APBT

4. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Not trying to be rude but AP "BULL" T. Not trying to be a dick just surprised you didn't know that Ganja :rolleyes:

5. ganja

ganja Big Dog

well, maybe I didn't form my question quite well...

when the breed was already established, was it still used for bull baiting?
    I'm not talking about when it was still what they call "bull & terrier" types of dog...
    I'm not sure if I'm making any sense lol... I'm trying my ebst to explain what I mean

6. noblebostons

noblebostons Big Dog

I'd say no. The bulldogs used for bull baiting were an old "type", and the apbt is a modern "breed". You could certainly say that apbts have bullbaiting ancestry though, and if a modern apbt were to time-travel back to a bull baiting contest they would sure consider it a bulldog- along with any other gripping dog willing to have a go.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2010
  7. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Yeah you said it kinda different before. The pitbull was made for the pit. But when you say origins I thought bulldog and therefore bull baiting. Guess it's fair to say pitbulls didn't exist when bulls were baited & were in turn created after it was outlawed.

8. ganja

ganja Big Dog

yeah thanks guys, that's what I meant :)

sorry for the confusion.. ;)

9. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

sorry did really read anything but....

bulldogs after hurricane katrina:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

they were originally bred for bull baiting (back in the stone age lol) but they outlawed it so folks took up dogfighting in the 1800's.

or so the books say, hell i wasnt there, none of us were so whos to say!

naus, i remember seein those pics back in like '02. the cow killed them dogs!

11. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

police shot them.

12. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

oh....my badd....i just remember seein pics of the dogs lien dead next to the cow.

why the hell would the police shoot a dog over a cow? an animal thats sole purpose in life is to die?

shit dont make no sense!

13. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

is that cow shittin himself in the first pic? lol

14. noblebostons

noblebostons Big Dog

yeah it is shitting itself! I probably would too. btw that's definitely a bull not a cow ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  15. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

Funny, as i had not heard the story i was allways led to think that those pics were fake, as until recently i had only seen the first and second pic, the second one had a lot of people wondering.

16. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

in regards to the pic, the police shot the apbts because, supposedly, the dogs went after the police as well. Honestly though, I think it is BS. The bull supposedly was shot too but I'm not sure about that.

17. HULK

HULK Pup

That pic is older then "katrina", i saw it years ago:rolleyes:

18. chessfighter

chessfighter Big Dog

They look like they were having fun. Yeah I alway though that the Bull killed them. Got-damn trigger happy pigs. But I am kinda happy to know that it wasn't the Bull that killed them.

19. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

some of those pictures look way fake lol

20. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I to have always thought they were more then likely faked but who knows apparently there is a story to it :confused: