1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ear cropping questions please help!!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by cat, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“you do know that a pitbull does have a standard to how it should look”
    They have a “performance” standard, “looks” mean absolutely nothing in a working breed! Looks have no bearing on a dogs ability too perform a given tasks. Seems you dog’s ears were cut off, for your insecurities and nothing more.

2. reed

reed Pup

Everybody Should Know That Bulldogs Have A Standard.so What,i've Seen People Cut Their Tails Off Because They Think It Looks Good.i Don't.i Like A Dog's Ears Cropped.who Are You Talking About Cutting Them All The Way Off?

3. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Ahh guys, I know looks don't have anything to do with performance, i'm usually the one always talking about that, just like all blue pits are'nt game, trust me I know that. An American Pitbull Terrier does have a standard, and if I had one of my pups overgrown ears cropped so that it kept her to standard, so be it. I would like to say that having short cropped ears has actually helped her some, if she had those same 7 inch long hound dog ears she would be at a disadvantage during a hunt, so in my case I also did it to actually prevent possible problems during her working life!!! Come on now, a pitbull can have cropped ears or uncropped ears, I have dogs of both. You want to say that looks have nothing to do with a working dog, yet so many people here judge a dog by its color or looks, please, also there's a reason that working pitbulls have a physical standard, why do you think some people crop the dogs ears in the first place??? Performance, case and point, my female would'nt have those long ears if I had left them, as active as she is they would have been a big disadvantage, but I don't know what i'm talking about.........:) I'm just in it for the looks, lol!

I did'nt crop her ears to make her look nice, she looks alot more scary with them cropped, I did it like I said, to keep her to standard, she has benefited greatly from those big ears being cropped. So in this case looks did effect preformance in a way, her physical flaw of having overgrown ears would have put her at a disadvantage as being an active dog, sorry I did the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2005
  4. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

I can think of given tasks where a game dog's ability to perform would have been affected by 7 inch long ears, lol............:)

Yes, my dog having a physical flaw that causes disadvantages to her performance is an insecurity, thats why I corrected it. She is very happy with her new ears since then. This female is a game dog, always has been, she was born to accel and to not quite, with a bite to match her game, cropping her ears was very important to me and to her, thats why working dogs can be disadvantaged from physical flaws, regardless of their game or heart, without a specific standard for the physical make-up of a working dog, a great game dog may be disadvantaged by certain flaws in breeding or physically being out of proportion.

5. reed

reed Pup

I've Seen Some Dogs Ears That Are All Crooked And Pointing All Different Directions.guess Everybody's Supposed To Leave Them Alone Or At The Very Least Go By The "standard".lol.

6. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Yes, there are all kinds of problems that can come with cropping ears, but there are also problems that can arise with not cropping ears, atleast on a working dog, especially if they are overgrown. There is a reason that pitbulls ears can be cropped as their standard, and it was'nt made that way for only the looks of the breed, there are more important reasons for cropping, either way if its a working dog then everthing goes into play, physical traits as well as mental traits can all effect the dogs potential in a task. Offcourse gameness is most important, but there's more to it than that........:)

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

First to answer the question, the ears can be cropped at 6 mo. of age, but I am against it personally. I just think it's too old & the cartilage has alreay formed & set by that point. But it's your perogative.

THANK YOU BnD!! I'm sick & tired of people putting out an utter disregard for their dog's health & safety all in the name of saving a few bucks! I hope you realize that cutting your own dogs ears is a misdemeanor offense & in some states a felony offense of animal cruelty. It also goes down under "Practing a medical profession without a license", so unless somehow your "special" & above the law, I think you ought to keep your illegal & absurd ideas to yourself! What a pity! Instead of paying a measly $120 bucks you'd rather grab some kitchen shears, hold your pup down while it's kicking & screaming bloody murder, & cut his ears off all for the sake of ego & cheapness.:mad:

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

The standard also doesn't call for home butcher jobs.

9. reed

reed Pup

Everybody Took That Comment The Wrong Way.i Do Not Condone This Either.the Only Dog I Have With Cropped Ears Is Still A Pup That The Vet Done When He Was Young.the Rest Of The Yard Are Still Natural.that Still Doesn't Change What I Like.nobody Should Consider Doing A Home Job.please Disregard That Comment .just Stating That As To How The Old Dogmen Done It.