1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ears.....Too Short/Too Long ?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Liza111, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

So just curious to see other peoples opinions,

Wondering what people think a good length dogs ears should be cropped to.

(I already got my dogs ears cropped about 8 months ago) people tell my how long they are but I really don't think dogs ears look good so short.

EXAMPLES

Check out the Images I attached

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2006
  2. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

IMO I like the short rounded look myself but either cut is fine. It is your dog right, if you like the ears to look tall (boxer/doberman cut) then it's all good. My opinion is only second to yours. I actually like the natural ears on my dogs as you can tell. LOL....

3. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

I second that Cmoreno. I also like the shorter ears on APBT.

4. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

i like the shorter ears. longer look good on dobermans, boxers

5. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

if you are going to cut a apbt ears they should be cut short

6. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Well I don't prefer them REAL long like Dobermans or Great Danes but I do like them a bit longer, I guess the biggest thing for me is that I feel like the shorter the dogs ears are the More mean it is to the dog or something.

If I had the choice I would have my dogs ears a BIT shorter , it kind of makes me mad that the Vet gave me her word they wouldn't be as long as a Dobermans ears but they look pretty similar to me & it was SO expensive.
    (she specializes in Dobermans) so I think she just automatically does the crop similar to a Doberman.<O:p</O:p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2006
  7. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I like the short cut, but I hate it when it looks like the dog just has big holes in the side of their head.

8. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

I like the natural look TOO, that's another reason why I'm mad I messed my little Zoeys ears up.

I left Kuma's as U can see.

Attached Files:

9. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

YES, EXACTLY I hate that too!

10. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Well what do U consider short?

11. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Prefer natural. If cropping I'd get the "war" cut done only. Very short with enough ear to keep the rain out.

12. pepper_mommy

pepper_mommy Big Dog

i prefer the natural look, or pretty short...i will have to get back to you with a good example from this board, but i agree that it is your choice whether or not to cut them, and what you like.

13. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

i LOVE naty ears, but if i "had" to pick a cut, it would be the combat crop

14. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

War cut?
    Combat crop?

Any examples?

15. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

I like natural and short crop. It just depends on how the dogs ears start to look. We show conformation and if their ears are to big or are going to stand up then it is better that we crop them. Although most registries now prefer uncropped ears for show.

16. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

Short with a round type cut like a bat ear almost. Starting from the side of the ear and not the back. If you start from the back then you get hole in the head ears. For Example....

[​IMG]

17. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

I think Saber's & Chance's ears are a Really nice length!
    Anchor is GORGEOUS! Beautiful dog!!!!

OMG! Chance's story brought TEARS to my eyes! & I'm at work. I just Love stories w/ happy endings, Chance is Lucky to have someone so dedicated like you!

I wish I could find any & everybody that hurts/fights dogs & beat them like they do the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Yeah that one isn't bad :) Looks Good actually.

19. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

I like my dogs ears to be natural or a short cut. I think pits look crazy with a long doberman or boxer cut.

20. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

Thank you for your compliments Liza111. To me Saber's ears are the perfect length. Chance's ears turned out nice because his head got so wide, but at first I did think they were to long for my taste. Thanks again. PS your dogs are beautiful!