1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

emill?or slat/carpet ?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by BLACKPIT13, Oct 2, 2007.

1. hey fellas i have a question on sum i know i could get an answer here,since ma slatmill is out of order and the carpet mill is cool but you know,now the ? is for the past 2 days ive been using the e mill and i guess it works ,so its powered by the mill itself and not the dog wat speed should be good and the length of workout?this thing has how many calories burned timer and pulse ,but i jus wanna know if they will feel that more less than the other mills ,i have all 3 jus im digging the emill cause it dont sound like a rollercoaster at 5 a.m and the carpet has more mass builder so any one know?and another thing thanks

2. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

There is no way you can put A time on mill work. (my opinion) every dog will be different for the most part, I like having A fast smooth mill, but I don't rely on them as much as most do. Then again it depends ! A hard question to answer, a lot of my style is probably (outdated) but still works well for me! It's all about making your charge the best he can be on showtime, and like I said everyone is at least slightly different! Just take it slow until you get the feel! GL

3. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Alot of people are lazy these days and take the easy way out...
    Emills are good for lazy people who if smart enough control the speeds, walk them run them and cool them to a nice trot, just to walk them down...
    Nothing beats a well built free spinning slat, no resistance is the key to cardio...
    Emills have a bit of resistance, but are really easy on the paws and joints...
    Carpet mills have good resistance making them good for strength traing, but should be used the least, and secondary to cardio work...
    Silacone spray lubricant under the carpet helps it spin more free...
    Incline in any mill also plays a big part in working on cardio or strength...
    Nothing beats hand walking, bicycling and a flirt pole that doubles as a springpole...
    I dont think the city folk that use emills to walk thier dogs are better off than those country folk that get out on those long roads...

4. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

^^^^ I agree!! I use A 20ft. lead, by the time I walk 5 it walks 6-8 depending, when I lived in Galveston I had an old truck granny gear and A cup of coffee! A davet arm about 6ft. away from the truck and A trot /cantor! I have seen dogs to messed up on to much mill work (just my opinion) they all loved the isolated stretch of beach! Now A trail at 6000 ft. and A four wheeler!

5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Being a carpet mill guy I will beg to differ. Slat for cardio....carpet for strength....emill for cool down and calorie burning....but with that said.

There is a ton of cardio available from a carpet mill. What it also provides is muscular endurance, which on a late Saturday night is far more important than "cardio" or "strength".

I also agree that the hand walking and flirt poling is huge. All out flirt poling for lengths of time is as good as it gets. Exploding, changing direction to explode again and again is a nice mimic of the requirements of late Saturday night.

I have owned a number of slat mills, nice ones at that, and always come home to the carpet mill. Maybe it is what I cut my teeth on a hundred years ago, maybe it is all I know and do not know enough about the other, either way, it is always back to the carpet mill.

I have always had issue with putting the mills in a specific category. It is the efficiency in which they are used more so than the specific mill in a specific category.

S

6. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

As always good post...
    Will you share how you use the carpet mill and how is it built...
    My old buddy Dirty and his buddy buikt the "dirty gringo" carpet mill, out of heavy duty lumber like the old colby mills, for the platforms they used a expensive 1/2" thick 4'x8' sheet of teflon cut in fours for four tread mills, add spray silacone lubricant under the carpet and it was super slick with minimal resistance and as free spinning as they come, add incline for extra strength but not cardio...
    A good pair of metal rollars at each end beats the old wood wire reels,lol...
    Most carpet mills Ive seen have a coarse platform making for drag which intels the strength aspect...

Shhhh...about the flirt...lol...

7. slim12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq7h6nQmKoM

The mills I build turn as smooth and free most slat mills. I can the pull the carpet one hard time and get between 3 and 4 revolutions. It use to be 4 and 5 but when gas went up a number of years ago everything petroleum based either went up or went cheap. Most carpet manufacturers went cheap. I am not a big fan of the carpet that I use now and really do not build that many for that reason.

The sliding surface is a polymer plastic that costs about $12. The end rollers are a contraption I designed/stumbled upon a number of years ago. I wish I had pictures of the first mill I built. I changed end rollers to so m any variations the end of the mill looked like it had been hit with buckshot. In time a nice end roller developed. I end up with about $125 worth of materials in the mill. I am biased, and I won't apologize for it (LOL), but I think they will stand up to any carpet mill out there, regardless of costs.

With that said, very few carpet mills today are really carpet mills. They are better described as belt mills. The carpets are more like belts with a really nice sliding surface coupled with a nice end roller. A carpet mill is old carpet with a jute backing, on sanded plywood, with crappy rollers or even stationary PVC pipe for the carpet to slide around vs. roll. Millions of miles a part from one another.

Those old carpet mills (which I still love) were negatively stereotyped many years ago. When someone hung there dog on there for too long, without emptying, and there were health/kidney issues, it was way easier to blame the mill. Not the re-re who put the dog up there. If a dog is properly emptied, properly hydrated and has normal kidney function it is just about impossible to hurt his kidneys with any mill, even a hard turning carpet mill. Take that same dog on the same mill and put him up there ill-prepared and bad things happen. Put that ill-prepared dog on any piece of equipment (flirt pole included, LOL) and bad things will happen. Blaming an inanimate object such as a mill is just plain dumb.

The key to anything related to conditioning is reading the dog. It is an art and I have met people with 20-30-40 years in the dogs and never see it and for others it is as plain as writing on the wall.

reddirt redneck likes this.
  8. slim12

The key to cardio work, which results into muscular endurance, is sprint work. Sprinting the dog for 10-50 seconds. Stopping him and sprinting him again and again works wonders. Far better than the same work or timed efforts on a slat mill. The bursts require extreme muscular out put. It mimics Saturday night dancing where the body is tensed, and somewhat contorted, yet must explode. Time and time again.

The key then becomes not so much the amount of work but the length of recovery time between bursts. Dictating recovery is where the 'eye' plays in. The three people I learned the most from, directly and indirectly, and I will not identify which, was Barney Fife, Ozzie Stevens and DP. BF knew exactly when to stop the dog, when to start a dog and when that magical point of "that is enough for today". OS knew when the exact moment, maybe even the exact second it was time to stop. And the beauty of "let's take today off, and get back to it tomorrow" which is a concept that is lost on the vast majority. DP taught me how to put it all together and not worry about how much the could do, but more importantly is when can he do it again.

Very few people recover under load. It is a strange concept for most and for most this where the dog loses ground on Saturday night. OS believed in recovering under load and it is a beautiful thing.

Sorry for the babbling. Just got off nights and waiting for the house to clear so I can crash for the day.

S

9. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Yeah Slim really A fast carpet or slat, I guess it's just what your the most comfortable with! I mentioned in another post A friend had A carpet mill that really impressed me!! Just as fast as my slat!! I was thinking of building one of those, the thing I liked was NO NOISE!! LOL I think it would be for me great to have both!! I keep the rub table on the back porch, but NO WAY the mill just A roar!!! Actually saw A cat mill being used decades ago I think it did more harm than good (at least that one) to heavy to much momentum he swore by it because some guy in 1928 used one or something like that!! Your right about those flirt poles I hate to see people using those......makes the hound to jumpy! :-)

10. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

...Great post Slim and Trotline...

11. slim12

It really is what someone is comfortable and/or knowledgeable with when it comes to the equipment. One is no better than the other. The half ass built carpet mill when used correctly for that particular dog is light years better than the best built slat mill if that slat mill is used incorrectly.

I am a fan of having a lot of tools in the shed. Some dogs just do better on certain things and forcing him to participate will never lead to great condition.

I knew a guy who crippled up his dog on a jenny/catmill once upon a long time ago. It was not big enough and the track was not banked at all. When the dog picked up speed his natural momentum would take him to a wider circle than the jenny made, but the jenny path being a fixed diameter, it jerked him back to the arc of the jenny...if that makes sense. The bigger the better and the banking is paramount for speed and long runs. I also knew a guy who used one and I believe after 8 weeks his dogs could breathe underwater. Seen him lose but never seen his dogs beat if that makes sense.

I like the flirt pole. Most do not let the dog win enough. Chase it and allow him to catch it. Stop, start over. Again and again. The skittishness comes from the 'never winning' part. Sort of like after awhile, "What's the point?".

One of the guys I ran with a number of years ago pulled a few chains, but his staple was the e-mill. Swore by it and on Saturday night his dogs were hard to handle. I always wanted to learn his ways but he was not much for sharing and/or teaching. Sort of like "I figured it out, you figure it out". His dogs were really nice. He simply used his tool (the e-mill) better than the next guy used his tool (fill in the blank). And he had a yard full of game-ass, rough-ass, hard biting Eli dogs to boot.

Great topic. Great series of posts. I say 'interested' and my wife says 'obsessed', but by far my favorite topic in the dogs.

S

12. GK1

GK1 Big Dog

Great thread folks! Conditioning is a favored aspect of dog ownership for me as well. It’s what I do. For me the reward is in the bonding which results from getting dirty with the dogs.

Don’t own a mill. Can’t comment on its value. Maybe I’ll get one for my 80th birthday. I run/hike with my 2 girls daily, 3-10 miles. Flats, hills, intervals, straight walking - all are beneficial. Variety of pace and terrain.

Fortunately both my dogs (German Shepherd/APBT) have genetically high prey/hunt/fight drive. Therefore I can leverage my home made flirt poles to great effect. Excellent device for building burst strength, speed, agility, and bite coordination. Dog always gets the hide; tugging to follow. I also use a German jute bite wedge for close in rounds of tugging. Allows me to feel the bite strength.

Both marvelous athletes. Strong lean runners with crushing bites.

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I disagree. Emill imo is superior to traditional hand walking. With the emill I remove the distractions and hazardous that are out on the road like trash, glass, smells, other animals, the dog stopping every 5 minutes to mark everything. With the emill I can set an incline and speed and keep that dog walking at a constant clip. Much more efficient.

14. slim12

I have a field across from the house that takes about 16-18 minutes to lap at a pretty good walk. It is secluded and there are still some distractions. An occasional rabbit or squirrel. No trash or glass but the males sure do like to mark, some to the point it is more marking than walking.

Hand walking can have its own drawbacks. None of the tools are perfect and some fit in some situations better than others.

S

15. GK1

GK1 Big Dog

Yes, hazards abound. And I am guilty for glossing over the challenges with tandem roadwork in my previous post.

Sudden distractions have led to several tumbles, an asphalt face plant and idiots' loose dogs getting bit. Vehicle near misses. Dogs ain't robots; they will react to various stimuli no matter how well they heel, or despite the correction from the prong collar. High drive dogs especially.

The loose lead run with side heel is optimal but difficult to sustain under distraction. Slight tension with the dogs forward for me has been overall safer, and often gets me to pick up the pace.

16. RobR73

RobR73 Big Dog

I'll have to disagree here. If you have a dog that loves to pull, handwalking IMO is hands down above what any emill can give you. Dog is pulling, stopping, hard left, hard right, and then they nail the end of the leash for miles. Ah fun times. In the end it all comes down too a matter of time and how much resources you can devote to each dog.

I only care for one dog so handwalking for me is a no brainer. We develop a bond and both of us get a great workout.

17. slim12

Agreed. If it is a dog that keeps the lead banjo string tight, your elbow locked, leaning back and he continues to drag. It is indeed a beautiful thing.

It is the ones that have to stop and check out everything they pass. Marking every bush along the way.

Not the same dog in the end. Covering the same distance.

S

18. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I got one that lays in the ditch every time a car passes, you'd swear he's been hit by one in a previous life or something

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

19. RobR73

RobR73 Big Dog

Mine is a mixture of both. If I can find a wide enough path without much vegetation on either side he is a pulling machine. The problem is getting him there, and all of the bushes, walls, rocks, lightposts, and hydrants on the way.

20. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Emills are for Lazy people? LMAO....So what about any other mill or conditioning tool are they for lazy people also? LOL It seems your lacking in actual hands on experience in utilizing an emill since you believe that a emill has more resistance then a slat mill which is TOTALLY FALSE.

The Emill is the most resistance free mill compared to any other mill because on the emill the belt moves the dogs feet while on any other type (carpet,slat) of mill the dogs feet moves the belt.

Emills are only easier on the joint depending on what type of emill you buy as most up to date emills are built in with shock absorbers, but the old inexpensive ones are not. If you buy Gamblers top of the line mill with all them hydraulic shock absorbers then it will be just as good but that will cost you a shit load of money lol.

Not all carpet mills are built the same or of same quality as there are some carpet mills that can turn as easy as some slat mills. There are some that use carpet mills exclusively as there primary source like one member who posted on this topic, I think his name rhymes with Jim. LMAO

Nothing beats handwalking? Sounds like a clich* LOL. bicycling can be very dangerous for BOTH the dog and the CONDITIONER. During a keep one needs to AVOID as much dangers as possible or you could end up paying the FORFIET. LOL

I also agree with every thing Nausious said about the hazardous conditions when walking one out in public and the emill being better utilized TIME WISE, to get the most out of your dog as when hand walking some dogs will stop every 5-10ft to smell/mark something or any other distractions that may be around like wild or stray animals.

One great thing I can say about handwalking is it is really good for EMPTYING out a dog. lol