1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Eqvalan 'gold' (ivermectin and praziquantel) dewormer

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Jan 6, 2012.

1. As for that link, it's funny it says that ivermectin is safe to use for treatment of demodex and other issues (it's a huge dose for an extended period of time) yet they tell you not to use it for heart worm preventative as even very small mistakes in dosage can be toxic LOL. They are also sure to tout the products that ream you up the ass for heart worm prevention. Heartgard®, Iverhart®, Tri-Heart® That site is nothing more than an advertisement to scare people into buying those over priced products.

Something else I should add to my previous post, ALWAYS get the 1% solution, and NEVER buy the ivermectin Plus. Never buy the pour on cattle kind either. 1% sterile swine version is what you need.

2. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

The tubes i buy are ivermectin anthelmintic and boticide so thats a good point that PRAZ is a tape wormer it wont hurt the dog it just dont help with tape due to needing a larger dose then you can give with the ivermec.

3. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

Never herd of it

4. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

I read more then one site gogle it yourself,and yes it does work for demodex and its not that fine of a line.What doese the vet use ive heard the same but not sure.

5. I wasn't disputing at all that it works for demodex. It's actually the best treatment out there for that. I would never do those toxic dips. I used it on a dog with demodex once and it was great. I don't remember the dosage but just going by memory it was like 1cc or some crazy amount like that daily for a month. Please nobody take that dosage as correct without fact checking. I am only using it for sake of our conversation. I don't remember the exact dose it was years ago.

mike I was just saying that site is really just an ad for heart worm prevention meds and not real information in my opinion. Basically just trying to scare you into buying those products instead of using 1% invermectin and saving yourself a ton of money.

Bottom line is ivermectin is relatively safe for use in the APBT.

6. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

I have used its myself.Its all in prefrence as long as you know all about what your using and how.

7. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

im assuming your mentioning on safeguard goat dewormer right?
    if 1ml=1cc and i have a syringe that measures 3ml's/cc's and i have a dog that weighs 60-65lbs then that means i have to fill my syringe up 4.5 times twice a day ? just wondering because i looked at the directions on the site and its drastically different.

safeguard goat dewormer
    DIRECTIONS determine the proper dose according to estimated body weight. Administer orally. The recommended dose of 2.3 mg/lb (5 mg/kg) is achieved when 2.3 mL of the drug are given for each 100 lb body weight.Body WeightAmount25 lb0.6 mL 50 lb1.2 mL 75 lb1.7 mL 100 lb2.3 mL 125 lb2.9 mL Under conditions of continued exposure to parasites retreatment may be needed after 4 to 6 weeks.Store at or below 25°C (77°F). Protect from freezing. Shake well before use.

not trying to argue,but according to the directions all im suppose to use is roughly 1.5 ml's or cc's for a 60-65 pound dog twice a day then. im just making sure i dont which one is right, but it would seem like alot to give a dog if i have to give this product 3days in a row and i fill my 3ml/cc syringe up with this . just wondering. all i would need this product for is to treat tapes, but i may just go with fish forte instead. i think maybe id be overworming with this product on top of the other wormers i use. not trying to start anything but i think that the 1.5ml/cc 3 days would be alot easier to give the dog.

8. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

thats what the cencus on this is saying 1cc/ml per 4.5-5lbs forget that that seems like a bunch of mess to deal with. the amounts i found say its not enough. im just going to get the fish forte.

9. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

You have to remenber a goats system is different from a dogs. An the amount on the bottle is for goats.

10. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

that may be it as i read the dogs system is alot smaller than a goats. thats the reason for such a large dosage. its just crazy i would have to use 13.5ml/cc for my dog twice a day for 3 days. i wonder if there is any problems with them trying to take that orally. i actually filled my 3ml syringe up into a plate to see how much 15.5ml/cc is and really it didnt seem as much as i thought, but twice a day. i know with Pyrantel pamoate i use is dosed 4.54 mg's per 1ml/cc and i have to give 6 tablespoons or 6ml to dose that. i wonder if the goat wormer is really better to use or not?

im thinking of getting that pyran 50, that seems the way to go which is 1cc/ml per 20pounds. this seems easy enough for the dog and me compared to the goat wormer. i know if you think you have a problem with hook,rounds you give it every week 1 time for 3 weeks, but i doubt i ever will with what im doing.

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Your using fish forté as a dewormer? The First ive heard of this...

12. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

no thats not what i meant. see the only reason i was interested in the goat wormer was because it could take care of tapeworms. as of right now what im using only ivermectin 1% and Pyrantel pamoate(worm protector 1ml=4.54mg's). i had a scare yesterday were my dog had soft stool and in the stool there were rice grains in it. none were moving at all, but i was still worried. the dog never had fleas nothing no wild animals nothing. i feed raw so i think it was just half digested rice that i was actually seeing and not tapes. ill see today around 3pm-7pm when the dog empties out to see what his stool looks like today. the fish forte? no way would i soley use that. i only need that for tapes if today i see it again. im pretty sure its not though, but i do need to start worming for tapes atleast 2-3 times a year just for safety.

do you know of the goat wormer? is it really twice a day? i could see once a day for 3 days but twice is something else.

13. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Its for tape worms Buck.

14. old goat

old goat CH Dog

ivermic kills worms but not tape worms . so why are you using something else ? ivermic is all you need for worms . and get something for tapes . if you feed raw you will get tapes at times . and when you see them they are on there way to dieing . tapes only come out at the end of there life . cycle .

15. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Fish tapes is what I use since each cap is 34mg and fish forte is 170mg per cap.

16. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

I totally agree I have used it for 20 years for heart worm prevention 1cc per 100 lbs once a month I've used it on over 20 dogs over the years I got it from tractor supply 50 cc in a bottle I did a lot of research if I recall the tested it at 100x the normal dose and found it safe I never rocomend any thing but 1cc per 100 though it works at a fraction of the cost if you check heart worm meds the active ingredient of the drug is Ivomechtin

17. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

see this is what i have been only using myself for the past 3 years solely on top of flea preventers till someone told me i needed more things like pyrantel pomate to go with it. i told them ivermectin 1% does the same thing and more but they swore i needed the p.pomate atleast 3 times a year on top of the 1% even though i dose 1%every month.
    well the dogs stool sample looked the same today, but i wasnt sure if what i was looking at was fragmented egg shells or if it was the rice or both or actual tapes. today i wormed the dog with the 1% and also the pomate just to clear heartworms,hook,whip worms out the way. i was trying to find some safeguard that had praziquantel at the feed store but they didnt have any. all they had was pomate. well i took away the egg in the feed for today so again ill see what it looks like tomorrow. i think ill just wait it out till i can give the dog the fish forte when i get it in the mail because i seriously dont think it could be tapeworms. i think its just undigested food right now because the dog has never had fleas been in contact with dogs with fleas and the stool doesnt have what looks to me like anything alive and moving in it. i feel about 80% on this so i hope im right, but if i see it looks the same tommorrow im going to have to decide on getting the safeguard with the praziquantel in it and decide if i should give the dog that because i have already given the 1% and the pomate. i think i would really be overworming the dog then IDK? I think the best thing i can do right now is just wait for the fish forte to arrive in the mail then dose only for the tapeworms and clear that out the way. again i doubt its tapes still but im still going to worm for it when i get the forte in the mail. if it is tapeworms it will be my first time treating for it with the Fish forte 170mg pills. from what i have read on it one 170mg pill will clear the dog out right? ANYONE? i know they come with 5 pills and i would feel dumb as shit if i gave the dog one pill a day for five days lol. im pretty sure it only calls for one pill though thanks

18. old goat

old goat CH Dog

if you feed raw meat with blood in it . you will get tapes sometimes . that will be where the worms comes from . and you can get a stick and poke around and get the rice looking thing on it so you can see better .

19. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Safe-guard fenbendazole 10%. Fish tapes or fish forte has praziquantel. 2 different meds. Both kill tape worms.

20. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

that should say safe-guard has fenbendazole in it.