1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fear of kids

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by findrodhere, Nov 10, 2005.

1. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

I've had my dog since he was 8 weeks old. He's 5 1/2 months now and has developed a fear of kids. As a puppy we religiously took him to the park to play with children and other dogs. He did great and never really did much play biting. We even got out CGC certificate at 5 months.

About a week ago we were walking around the high school near my house (there's a lot of trails leading up to and around it), and out of the side entrance of the building the entire high school marching band comes out for practice. Well needless to say they were frightening to him. The flutes, clarinets, and trumpets came out and he was fine. At the end of the procession the percussion section came out and the kids did their best to hit the drums as loud as they could and crash a few other things together (souned like WWIII). He was scared. I didn't coddle him or react fearful myself, but instead, walked on like nothing had happened and told him he was a "good boy," a couple of times.

He doesn't want kids to approach anymore. I treat the hell out of him to let them know there "okay," and have even had them give him treats. He seems to be okay then. Tails a waggin' and he likes the food they give. After they leave another kid will walk down the street and he'll start barking at 'em. I know he's scared. What methods have I know attempted? Any critiques to the way I've been handling this?

2. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

he should grow out of that, he'll get his own confidence when he get alittle older

3. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

He might just be barking at strangers period, I would take him back to the marching band when they are practicing and just stand a distance away. If you can't do that, walk him around the school so he dosen't have an asscociation with disturbing noises and kids. I would also have kids, that you trust walk him on a leash around the yard. Keep in mind he is still very much a puppy. that marching band would of spooked my adults also.

4. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

Heck, marching bands scare me, too. :)

Alot of dogs go through a "fear period" between 4-6 months. My male did the same thing at the same time, (minus the marching band issue, lol).

Sounds like you're managing him fine. Just continue to not react to his reaction, be positive, keep up the treats & distractions, and continue on. I bet he'll pass right through this phase with your guidance.

Best of luck.