1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Few versus the many?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Fritz, Jan 5, 2015.

1. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

This I most definitely agree with. On average popularity usually is one of the first steps to the demise.

It goes both ways too. One bad dog does not

2. slim12

Agree TDK. Popularity can lead to the demise, or at least the detriment.

I also agree a lot of people on the internet/boards attack when they do not have adequate knowledge of the subject at hand.

Like, "I do not know how to feed my dogs" but you misspelled/had a typo the word 'dog'. You are so stupid. Your mom wears combat boots. And after all that he still does not know how to feed his dogs. Same ol'...same ol'...S

3. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Yes indeed. Break out the "Jo Mama" handbook. It's retarded.

4. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

Its all relative of course but I myself prefer a larger yard. I usually had around 50 dogs give or take and not only did I enjoy it I think me and the dogs benefited from it. For example I could and did keep entire litters which obviously allows you to find out the ones that look the best when all grown up. But this also allowed me to form a more educated opinion on my own breeding stock and how and what they produced. Meaning if Joe Small dogman has Ch. Duke and he is proud of that dog and he is ready to base his yard on that dog so he breeds him to 1 bitch and has 1 litter then he has around 10 dogs give or take. 2 are brood at 8 or so pups. See ya in 2yrs. Now Joe Big has a Ch.too. Along with his littermates that turned out and don't forget the Ch.'s parents and lets say 5 brood bitches from various breedings and or bloodlines. Around 15 dogs give or take. But now Joe Big can breed his Ch. to more than one female and also champs littermate brother that showed to be a really good dog can get bred to a couple different bitches and his littermate sis can be bred back to pops, etc, etc. And after the same 2 yrs Joe Small knows how one litter wound up looking when one particular male was bred to one particular female with a certain pedigree. Which is fine. But Joe Big already found out that his champs brother produced better than Ch. when bred to fewer bitches and he might find that the blood he started with is better when crossed with the redboy blood than crossed with the patrick blood and the runt male in the litter that also proved that he could stay all day was bred to that yellow bitch and they threw small boned dogs with brittle teeth and lacked ability but would go all day so he is out of breeding program for now or maybe Joe Big can trade his buddy for that male he wanted That was off of Jeep and the littermate sister throws really smart dogs when bred back to the sire and so on and so on....So you see the percentages really don't stay the same because each dog is different and can produce different results as is each family/strain/bloodline and the more options and individuals you have and breed the better knowledge you will have about YOUR dogs in a shorter amount of time I might add. And You are also seeing all of this for yourself. Not tracking down several other Joes trying to find out how the rest of a litter turned out just to find that three are MIA do to this guys divorce or that guy got evicted and suzie hung her self on a chain....

Also as slim stated some yards are smaller because of the actual size and space and those smaller yards might cull harder because there just isn't the room to keep the "maybe" dogs just the "for sure" dogs if i understood him correctly. I agree somewhat but there is 2 sides to that coin. First off yes there is always variables that will influence an dogmans decision but for the most part at some point everyone has to know what their own standard of what they want/need in the dogs they are going to feed and breed. Shouldn't matter if you own 1 dog or 150. Your standard is your standard. Having also known and spent time with others that had large yards one can say the same thing about culling hard do to constraint if you will. A large yard takes alot of tlc, time, and money! I knew dogmen that would get together for a weekend and cull more dogs harder than most men would agree with. 10-20 dogs in a weekend could be culled out of the program and the reasons where often the same. Not enough time or money to keepem all. Plenty other mouths to feed.etc.

In other words I like my dog yard like I like my women. Large! lol

5. slim12

Agreed with Brubaker. Good post.

I did not mean the larger yard would have lesser standards, or that a smaller yard must cull harder. Both could have the same standard and both could have the same selectivity in how they perpetuate their yard of dogs. Those things are always up to the individual owner of that yard, regardless of size.

I think the smaller guy will face the tougher decisions more often because he does not have the option to keep them all.

The guy that turned me onto dogs was known as a one who culled hard. He culled dogs that would have been wonderful additions to other peoples yards, or if bred, had a real good chance to add something positive to the next generation. He kept 10-12 dogs that were open to the world. And of those 10-12 dogs they were subject to be replaced at any time by the next young dog that came along that was better. He could not keep litter after litter and maintain 10-12 match ready dogs. He did not sell dogs and the closest he came to placing was giving back an older winner, who could no longer serve his purpose, to the breeder in which he came.

He managed a small yard by choice. He culled a lot of good dogs to maintain the 10-12.

And right down the road was a guy who kept as many as 50-60. He kept his entire litters. He sold a few and placed a few over the years. He culled just as hard, if not harder. But at the same time if two dogs worked out at 40lbs. then he had two 40's ready to go. On the smaller yard he would have found out who the better 40 was and kept that one. Both 40's were capable of winning if taken out but one guy had the room and the desire and the other did not.

The first thing is actual space available. If one has the space he can then make the choice of big yard or small yard. Then after the 'space' is determined it is personal choice. There is no right amount or wrong amount. It is up to each individual owner. S

6. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

not arguing, good posts for sure. I think Joe small with a good group of honest friends(ship,Cap,Crew)O - could do similar to Joe big in a combine. Combines are not for everyone, but they can and have been proven to come out on top before. And yes - nobody can be trusted 100% - well i believe family and friends can. Family first, for there are ways to deal with family, friends(few n far between) but pacts can be made, and upheld.

half empty half full kinda thing i say - but i have an open mind - kind of goes with the peddler thread in a sence.

7. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

And yes - nobody can be trusted 100% - well i believe family and friends can.

^^ Contradictive statement. Nobody can be trusted 100%, family is usually the first to fuck you. I think I understand what you mean, if not, here's how I feel. I try to give friends and family 100% trust. And I'll trust them until I have a feeling or reason not to.

Brubaker - Great post!

8. slim12

The combines do work rather well. somewhat better than 'partnerships'. Combines usually use each other's resources. They move dogs around, make their studs available to one another, place pups back and forth and in the end usually pool money in show night. All the while each guy is running his own smaller yard the way he wishes. Lots of combines run the same lines/families of dogs and it brings a commonality amongst them. It has all the advantages of the larger yards while maintaining the advantages of the smaller yards.

It is a good deal to find three-four-five guys going in the same direction, running the same stuff and taking advantage of their numbers/combined resources.

But again, yard size is up to the individual. S

9. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

nobody outside my friends and family- - i cant speak for everyone - - its a constant process with friends though. Was thinking outloud more so - but yes - respect is given , but keep is earned,
    sorry for my rambling outloud -
    all that would fuck you have already been culled from the family and friends -

10. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...these dogs can make even lifetime friends act different,,i found that out me-self....but some friends are better than others......

11. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

money have anything to do with it?

12. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...dog sold while other on holiday...many moons ago......

13. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

money was involved - and sell/sales/egos/.. seem to be why most have sour feelings towards others in reguards to dogs in general I have noticed - so i can see where my road leads. Be humble and dont sell dogs - or buy them, or pay to breed...simple

14. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

Very true slim.
    More involved in the showing of the animals than the actual breeding and whole ball of wax that starting your own family of dogs comes with.
    Reminds me of a man that owned a lot of great show dogs from the northeast. I believe one was named Buck.
    But if we are focusing more on just the dogs that are show quality than there can be another asset of having more dogs that one might benefit from.
    Schooling. The more dogs the more sizes and styles. You can get more of a measurement of your dog without leaving your own yard. The bottom line is to each his own and we have seen both work for different dogmen with each having their pros and cons.
    As far as partners go help is always nice. I've done it on my own and I also was lucky enough to of had two different partners at different times in the dogs. Both of which I could trust 100%. Trust that they like myself were 100% human and not perfect.

15. slim12

Being able to school on one's own yard is a plus of having the larger yard. No doubts there.

And I agree both have their pros and cons and they both are based on what works for the individual.

Personally I like the smaller yard. I too have partnered up with different guys over the years. It was not like we had a lot to do with what the other was doing, going in a similar direction but doing our own thing along the way if that makes sense. We moved dogs back and forth between ourselves, schooled with each other and then pooled resources on show night.

I trusted them as well. I think we all benefitted. S

16. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...good point slim ..notice that way things seem to work out for all..plus ya had your own individual things...takes some of the stress out ,that way if to much on your hands.....

17. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

As I say..............To each one's own. One just needs to be able to handle one's own choices.

18. slim12

Well said. Good post. S

19. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I understand that to a point but the more individual time you spend grooming the bulldogs and if spread thin the % decrease, if your the type to pull your hound thru and not depend completley on ability and condition but pull thru with the human bond...
    These type can take 4 out f and suceed while others might only suceed with 4 or 5 out of 20 all being bred the same, IMO...
    The owner of IBM told me it takes those certain type of person to raise that certain type of dog and thats the makings of an ace...
    Alot of people let alot of ace quality animals slip thru thier hands due to sense and lack of grooming, IBM was told he was an ace from Malik when he first walked him as a pup...

20. poorfarmkennels

poorfarmkennels Big Dog

Im a pet buller, haven't seen jack really, but I find the idea that if I spend more time petting, grooming, walking etc. my dog, thatll make him/her want to come over, when their lights are almost out, very wishful thinking. It might make yourself feel good about whats in store but IMO the dogs don't give AF esp when theyre going. Maybe afterwards, a bond might develop but I don't see how that bond will do anything more than maybe getting them to pull thru the aftermath. getting more skill or depth of character...., I just don't see how.