1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Few versus the many?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Fritz, Jan 5, 2015.

1. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Oh no, EP, I haven't debated that how a dog is treated/raised has NO effect on it's ongoing success or lack of same. You may have mistaken something I posted. I've posted many times that while I believe a dog is born with the makings of what it will be, that I also believe a poor, neglected, or ill treated in any way dog won't reach its peak as well as one who is properly cared for, respected and given kind, human attention. And as I've stated many times, also, I do believe a dog has his or her own simple, remedial sense of self worth and that it is important to care for and see to that in a dog. A sorry-headed, mistreated dog is not going to be as whole as one treated with the best of care, love and respect. They do have feelings. It does have an effect upon them being all they CAN be and were born to be, IMO.

One cannot make a dog more than it CAN be by it's inherent prowess. But one can sure ruin it in a dog by way of the negative treatments I mention above. And one can create better assurance/possibilities of it being all it can be by way of the positive ones I mentioned. One cannot make a dog something that it just isn't. But one can ruin it's chances in more than a couple of ways, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
  2. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Excellent post, T, I completely agree.

3. old goat

old goat CH Dog

only thing about to small of a yard is they wouldn't have been as busy . you need more selection and more age differences . if you have a litter and at 2 years they don't work out then your at a stand still . or you just buying dogs that really you have to trust how they person before you and him kept the dogs .

4. thecableguy

thecableguy Big Dog

5. thecableguy

thecableguy Big Dog

6. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

got me thinking -
    dogs have done better for one man, and a noticable different with another -
    handler, conditioner, owner?? not always the same and differences have been noted in the past depending on who the dog was with.

7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

It is true some dogs do not need it. Some dogs will just go and go with or without your support. Some are like, "stand over there, I got this".

And some dogs respond in the most tense of situations.

It is more mental conditioning and is best done during hard work, not just a casual stroll thru the park. When the dog gets a little tired on the mill and he is getting close to the amount of work he needs and he hears that familiar voice encouraging him to go, he will learn to grab another gear. That continual support and encouragement conditions him (more mentally than physically) to pick up the pace and 'grab another gear'.

In reality he more than likely is not scrapping harder for you, it is just another form of working harder for you.

Ch. Angel (3XW) was a straight killer. She faced 7 maybe 8 along the way, and all but one was RIP. In one o her rolls her owner broke his ankle the night before. She had looked awesome and this was her last schooling before calling her weight. Another guy handled and she was not active, not responsive, and basically looked out classed. An older fellow told her owner to step over the wall and talk to her. His voice or him being there, she grabbed her next gear, went to 'work' and finished another one.
    Her work ethic was completely different without her owner as he babied her and talked her thru her work.

It happens. Every dog is different. Some respond. Some do not. But it can make a difference.

And back to the topic, it is hard to differentiate between the two with a larger yard. There is not enough time in the day for quality time with every dog every day. S

8. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

great clearity in that post . nice one

9. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

Very good post Slim. I know for a fact that you have greater option having a big yard and being able to experiment more, however I found that smaller yard tended to keep only the best they could lay their hands on due to space and costs. But I think quality goes hand in hand with the dogman who runs that yard. You see it is difficult to keep try-outs when space is limited so you keep what you know already proved their worth.

I never owned more that 4 grown dogs for the reasons mentioned above, the sad reality is when you do breed and send some pups to contacts or partners you never know what either you or them will end up with, but fortunately for me I hardly ever did any breedings.

10. speedboat

speedboat Big Dog

I like a few my buddies like a few more but i think its abt fluctuation (as tdk said) the longer ive been with the dogs i understand how numbers can ballon after a year or two if you are truly looking to see the production percentage because youre keeping most pups up til abt 2 yrs old... but my limit is a consistent 10 (and im not close to that currently) simply because thats a number i know i can maintain without any problems all while still being able to be hands on with all

11. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

A simple release command and handle can give the longevity to further the career, a well trained dog with a knowledgable handeler will almost always have the upper hand... The simple act of the handeler giving up can manifest to affectionate bulldog... I been told that If the other handeler isnt intune with his charge that
    its like going into half a dog as your force behind your charge is inhieghtend... If you hand raise a well bred pup the pup should be able to learn almost anything and give his all for you...
    A member of Carolina knls told me handeling was like chess, and in the 80s he went into Tant who was almost twice his size and a bully to boot...
    This man trained dogs for the army and continued after his discharge, J had alot of insight to dogs different psycology...
    T was far from a sportsman and used every dirty trick he could, when carolina knls ignored it, T got racist and was yelling at Js dog also...
    He felt his dog would have quit with anyother handeler but Tant was playing checkers and Carolina J was playing chess...

12. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...lets be honest here a good dog will handle for any-body...thats what ya wanted in case ya have a problem in handleing ur-self ...???

13. The Handler

The Handler Big Dog

Great topic,Dogs are exspensive if kept properly.You have to give each dog time,I dont believe letting my friend spend all their lives on the end of a chain without interacting with them.So I say keep as many without neglect.

14. The Handler

The Handler Big Dog

When you can only handle, about 10 dogs on your yard,chain space is valuable. (Serious). Show or go,I cant afford to play games.Everyone on my yard has a number.

15. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...different...strokes......

16. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Great read Slim... Id prefer the human oriented extra gear bulldog if I had a choice... The thing that makes any type dog not wild is its dire need to please its master... A good friend that use to bulldog and now hunts hog with his bulldogs noticed how his "road dog" that rides everywhere in his vehicle and in his razor
    that the dogs have superior balance and dont go to thier back, yet another way getting a bond with your bulldog can perhaps help in stressfull situations...
    His catch dogs are second to none and his sense of raising up good dogs is also...
    Mccoys post was also good as some may give up on thier charge, in exchange the charge does the same... In other incidents the mere bond of the handeler can make a cur game,lmao... The late great Barney Fife also was a firm believer in the handeler showing care giving proper aftercare helps the charge pull thru better than getting after care by someone that doesnt know the dog, and in those tuff ones the bulldogs bond with the handeler/owner is what gets the bulldog thru the pull, vice versa the humans undivided attention is the difference in making it...
    So if the dog scratches for his owner, is the bulldog game???

17. tony.macc.52

tony.macc.52 Big Dog

^^Two good post!! I to believe a man gets out a dog what he puts in therefore I've never been one to have more than 5 on my yard at any given time that way I can give each individual a couple hrs at least three days a week(1on1)and even though all my yard dogs go thru all the motions my brood which is a house dog I have no doubt she'll crawl the line if need be to protect that corner I'm standn in!!