1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fights

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by icis18, Feb 28, 2006.

1. japangame

japangame Big Dog

I aggree with 14rock on this. He has an excellent point.

2. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

NO on the harness. That gives your dog too much control over any situation, harnesses are for working, not walking.

I say yes to a prong collar, a martingale style nylon or one of those training collars that goes over the muzzle. I personally am used to the prong collars, but any of these should keep you in much better control.

I would also look into purchasing a "traffic lead" these are awesome. They are usually very thick leather leads that are only about two feet long so that you can keep your dog close and have a good grip. I would most definately use it with your current lead as a back up. Traffic leads are great for training a proper heel position too.

You can also walk with a walking stick to ward off any dogs who won't take a hike. Again though, it's just best to avoid any doggie contact.

3. japangame

japangame Big Dog

Prong collars work very well and ripatora has a great point about the harness. Walk your dog, dont let him walk you. Good luck man. I hope everything works out well.

4. Is he aggresive to females?

5. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

Take yourself & your dog, to a training class. That'll help you command your dog, when in this type of situation. It's not good to let this go on. Reading books helps alot too. Shows you how to train, with your dog. Gives you the upper hand. Good luck to you!

6. icis18

icis18 Pup

The Boxer whose ear he nipped I believe was female. Which I know is odd, bc they are supposedly more aggressive to the same sex. As for pronged collars...I own one of these as well, but it doesn't stop him if he is driving at something...he will simply continue and push forward with the prongs all the way in his neck! The muzzle harness I have helps for keeping him from pulling, but I'm not sure how much it would control him in a fight situation.

7. You need to remember that even though your dog is a pitbull mix it still has pitbull in it. Your dog may not start a fight but a pitbull will sure finish one. If you are really worried buy a soft muzzle, or a good size choke collar. Just make sure that you put the collar right behind the dogs ears and not on the neck, it will not work properly if down on dog's neck.A choke collar works well as long as you use it properly. I know of a great website that has lots of tips for dog owners, breeders. They mainly work with german shepards, but they are top of the line when it comes to dog training in ANY AREA, no matter what the breed. They offer training videos, etc. The website is:
    www.leerburg.com
    Please check this website out. They have everything from puppy training to protection training. Good luck with your dog. If your dog pulls really bad, you might want to invest in a no pull harness that will take his legs out from under him when he pulls, but will not hurt him. I have one and it works really well. My dog eventually learned that it got him no where and quit pulling.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2006
  8. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

Dogs do things cause they want to and if they can they will,,do some training,,don't let him get away with walking u,,or telling u what he wants to do.