1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

game education

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by JCleve86, Jan 4, 2005.

1. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

As some of you may know, I'm new to the site and just started educating myself on game pit bulls (though I'd consider myself well educated outside of this arena). I was wondering what sources you guys would reccomend (other than this fine board, of course!). I find that a lot of websites just become overwhelming...Boudreux this, Chinaman that, Indian Bolio, Jeep and Redboy...I end up with information overload and retain very little. I'm not looking for something ranking the best game dogs or a breeder trying to sell their dogs...just a couple good sources to start with. I got Stratton's The World of the APBT (the best Christmas gift EVER!) and I'm working on that. Any others? Books, websites, magazines (though I can't say I'm not willing to subscribe to certain magazines)...

2. Nitrous

Nitrous Guest

3. BFKENNEL

BFKENNEL Big Dog

Bro, The only thing that I can suggest is that if you have a little time just drop by to our website. I know you'll have a little knowledge about the breed, pitrules, our own philippine rules and especially the conditioning.

Hoping that we can help you.

YIS

ACE of Big Freak Kennel

OOPS:
    URL: http://www.bigfreakkennel.netfirms.com

HOPE YAH LIKE IT !!!

4. 5555

5555 Pup

the only way ull truely learn is from hands on experience, books are great for just starting out but hands on experience is how ull learn and retain the most

5. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

5555 Is right. You can only read so much before your start leaking information through your nose and ears. LOL. Personally I can say I feel I have read all of the information I can read. I just need hands on experience now.

6. SFK

SFK Top Dog

You need to get the book The Complete Gamedog by Ed Faron. It can be purchased on the website for Wildside Kennels. It is an incredible reference guide.

7. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Actually another great source is to talk to people that have those dogs. Find breeders or kennel owners that are willing just to talk dogs, and not try to sell something off their yard to you. I've talked to some damn fine people over the years that are just willing to talk and not sell you a damn thing..lol

Visit kennels that have bloodlines you are interested and see those dogs first hand. If you are looking for books, Ebay is always a good place to look.

8. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

Thanks for all the replies...I'll be checking on ebay for those books (buying them in the store brand new is SO expensive!). I'll check those sites in a second too. I realize hands on experience is really the only way to truly have intimate knowledge of gamedogs, but as you may have gleaned from my other posts, I tend to have moral implications with that. I know the sport isn't nearly as bad as some would have you believe, but I just couldn't be involved with it. I nearly have a heart attack when one of my pups yelp when they run into a thorn bush (not to bright I guess) or nip each others big ol' lips. Thanks for all the suggestions though...I'll start doing my own research and find a few lines I like and then try to find some kennel owners to talk to.

Oh...and if you'd call a female "bro" than I guess that's fine by me...