1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Game/high prey drive

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by rusty, Apr 11, 2006.

1. rusty

rusty Guest

I was looking through some old videos and I ran across a tape I have from the once bulldogfarm in durham nc, these coon hounds were after this boar and he was ripping them to the white meat, after the boar disappeared into a cave a pit by the name of link went into the cave and brought the boar out, if a dog is not game breed but has the drive to attack in that fashion how do you diffrentiate between gameness and high prey drive, is it possible that these dogs could compete and be succesful.

2. well gameness means the dog will fight other dogs and not quit or it means he will do anything you want him to and never quit but the earlier of the 2 is the proper definition.prey drive means that the dog will hunt or it will do anything for a certain thing like a ball, notice all police dogs go and grab ahold of the badguys arm just so they can play with a kong toy or a ball.from what you described above it sounds like gameness, to me it sounds like the dog knew what was expected of itself and wouldnt stop till it met the expectations of the owner/handler.hope this helps some.

3. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

You also have to consider the fact that those coondogs worked as bay dogs and tired the hog out considerably before the bulldog ever got to it.

I had that same video a long time ago. Those dogs are hogdogs not gamedogs. They breed for the sole purpose of hogcatching.

4. simms

simms CH Dog

I agree....

5. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

We'll, when a pit bull is drowning, being slashed and stabbed by a bore hog and the dog don't want to quit is pretty frickin game to me. Have seen hog dogs with their heads nearly cut off and still getting the job done! You can still get game dogs from hog dogs and you can get hog dogs from game dogs! If its bred game to game you'll have good and bad and deal with the curs as needed! Bang, Bang!

6. To me game means to bring it to the end.....if a game dog fight another dog that bites him down and makes him helples....dont matter he would try...just try and maybe die(if his handler is stupid enough to let him...) The same dog would fight a wolverine, badger ,cougar,wolve or what ever...even a lion...and again he would not stop until the work is done....or his life is gone......from my point of view every dog is game...even a poodle...the question is how much.And no other dog is as much game than a well bred Bulldog becose he has the hardest and best genetic task.....nothing need as much gameness then the serious fight....thatswhy are only Bulldogs able to fight for houers.

7. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

in that case you could only tell prey drive and ability..if the dog got his ass kicked by the boar and went back into the cave for more.. i would consider him game..if the dog ran out and tryed to push the owner in the cave he would be smart but not game..

8. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

LMAO, that would be one smart dog!

9. RSK

RSK Pup

***Edited Sorry... this can not be disscused in open forum... Marty ***

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
  10. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

I have a catch dog named Kiki (pictured in my gallery). She would give her right leg to hunt. She is damn good, and has been cut pretty bad on several occasions. On these occasions, she kept going back for more and never realized she was hurt until after the fact. Does this make her game? I don't think so, but it does make her a hell of a hog dog! I think too many people are trying to find ways to determine a "game-dog", when in fact there is only ONE WAY. If it was as easy to determine gameness by catching hogs, then you could consider all dogs game. This would include breeds like cats, black mouth curs, black and tans, etc. I for one don't consider these breeds game at all, just damn good at what they do.