1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Genetic problems in apbts

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by wicked13, Dec 17, 2015.

1. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

I've never came across any genetic problems with apbt only ones I ever seen with problems I didn't think we're pure anyways anyone ever have any problems I was watching this I suspect the problems with this dog were caused by to much English bulldog in this bully anyways but I found it interesting

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OP6ZySqZNak

2. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

3. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

I have. Everything looks fine until stressed (extreme hunting, or with pups) usually leads back to heart, or kidneys.

4. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Had a heart murmur issue with a dog once also, the vet said it was genetic...

5. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

What I ran into was inlarged heart, 20-30 min. the legs fall out from bad oxy. circulation. Any one of mine that climbs the ladder high enough to earn A name, get's blood work. A lot of times family/linebreed start running hot, the first thing I do is have heart and circulation, blood work! Saves A whole lot of time and money. You always need to know what genetic defects your dealing with.

6. NoNStopK

NoNStopK Pup

I have a grandson of GRCh Izod on top and bottom that has cryptoid(spelling)? One testicle dropped.

7. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

I've seen the one nut thing .. The heart thing is interesting .. How long does one suppose it would take to breed that defect out 3 or 4 generations ? Or at least to where it would pop up extremely rarely .

8. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Good question, I caught it early, Orbie Copland and George Hopkins both talked about it! Latter in life Orbie had some of the best tightest old Hienzel blood on the planet! Most people blew him off as being old and senile not the case! His dogs were deep game no ability no bite! These were extremely tight on Colonel Zsa Zsa Bambi Arizona Pete just A whos who of several great families then crossed with each other in different bredings with some old E. Crenshaw and old lightner dogs! When I meet him I had just won A match up on the Rouge River we went to his house after, he broke out all these bredings he had made or Howard H. he gave me A 6 mo. old pup told me to take him home and check him out, I noticed he had A slight cough didn't think much of it. It got worse I drew some blood from him took it into A friend who was A vet, he said the dogs blood work don't look right, brought the pup in and sure enough he had an enlarged heart!! Phoned Orbie I said this is bad he said put him down! I REALLY wanted to bred to his no talent stud, drew blood from him it was good!!! Must have come from the gyp!? So from now on I have whats called an SMA24 and total workup when linebreding I remember G. Hopkins talking about this stuff he said a lot of breders bred to tight wihtout regard to health issues. Once you make A tight breeding with those traits I think it would take a lot more work than it would be worth!! I think I would put every one down and go back to the source and squash it there!! By the way that cross into Orbies stud produced some if not the best I've owned!!! Un fortunately Orbie passed his stock was old one person I kinda no has some of his stuff!!! I just couldn't believe the dogmen in that area passing him by trying to bred to the next whirlwind inn the magazine! That's why HEALTH is as important as GAME if they cant breath they cant scratch!!! Those two then ped. and hope all the other comes out bite ability!

9. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Here's a dumb question well maybe dumb ..could one misinterpret a dog going out on a heart attack and dropping half way to just thinking he went out game and dropping

10. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Very possible!!! before pre keep I ALWAYS have blood work done, Just to know whats go'n on inside! I saw A dog have A seizure once in A bump, don't know why wasn't my dog! There had to be something go'n on inside that was never checked because he looked great on the outside!

11. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

That shit to me would be embarrassing u bring your dog and he goes into a seziure. Like a cocker spaniel plus to have to wait for him to come out of it man I'd pick up my dog and go home feeling like a dumbass lmao

12. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Well A backyard bump is where you want to fin out! He was young about 20 months, He looked like A handmade bulldog, another thing A week after that he came down with red mange! Sonething internal was definatly not right! George told him to draw blood and find out but he just put him down, I don't think he could wrap his head around what we were saying!! He need to find which side had the bad gene and deal with it!!! Could'nt make him understand A very very slight chance he was the only one on his yard affected!! Had the gyp and four more! You have to nip that stuff in the bud, if his gyp was the sick one well that's that!!!

13. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Yeah that would suck to possibly have a few more epeleptic dogs That once they got hot in the head they'd just start seizuring

14. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

What I have really seen more of the last 20 years or so is people not checking for genetics defects and breeding tight Red Mange, that stuff has become more rampet it seams. It pops up when the dog is stressed.

15. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Wouldn't that be a drop in the immune system that allows the demodoctic mange to flourish. but II understand if one was to use a lot of antibiotics throughout the generations would there be a susceptibilaty to infections and mange since in theory the animal never had to use its amune system fully because there was always some sort of antibiotic A person would never really know if the dog has a good amune system ..or am I looking at this wrong

16. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Correct something in the immune system. The problem is when you line breed it can get worse! Then again it might just happen once and it clears up never to surface again! Do you want to risk that stuff in your breeding down the road! I just go out and draw my own dogs blood take it in if it where it should be OK if not I need to find out why! Just something I do. Now my line bred dogs one being pretty tight I know is healthy. I feel it's important when your raising every pup then two yrs. latter issues pop up.

17. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Trotline I had one down of some cobbles dogs that was heavy in the Copland dogs.

18. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Theoretically, working line dogs of any breed should be genetically healthier than show or pet lines as the work itself shows their weaknesses - does everyone agree?

19. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Completely!! Some of the show dogs are so unhealthy!!! The owners spend fortunes at the vet, just breed to look like something sickest strains of dogs on the planet!

20. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

What about generational tolerance to antibiotics can that become a genetic problem say 100 years ago no one used to many antibiotics so the dogs that did make it we could agree had a great immune system now compare to today were we have a variety of antibiotics . Like say you had a dog that antibiotics did not work well one so it was given a lil extra to fight an infection now breed that one to another that needs a lil extra also would that produce pups with less of a immune system ?