1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Another Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by PrettyPitPrinces, Jun 10, 2010.

1. I currently have a 1 and Half year old pit bull and she is the light of the life. She has been very socialized around other dogs and she is very socialized with humans and children. I am concidering getting another dog and I really want to get another pit bull puppy. But i was told by a few people not to bring in another pit bull because they are both dominate dogs and they won't get along. I have seen many household that have more than one pit bull and they get along great. So I am just wondering some other people's thoughts are about the issue.

2. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

Do you care whether you have to crate and rotate or chain them? if so, then dont get another one.

3. kayo45

kayo45 Top Dog

Getting one that is opposite to the gender of the dog you already have now will help

4. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

That is not necessarily true.

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

^^not necessarily^^ it may work it may not, if you do go with another one you run the risk of having to keep them seperated for life (which the odds are about 7/10 chance it will happen).

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

DAMMIT HCH< you beat me to it lol

7. MCS

MCS CH Dog

It all depends on what your working with (Amstaffs, APBTs, mixes), how dog aggressive they grow up to be. we have an 5yr intact male mini schnauzer that is the MAN of the house, and he has been dominant towards both submissive female pit bull mutts we have rescued. Now the one we currently have is about 14 mos old and is getting more and more prey aggressive and driven. We will see how this senario plays out. We got her when she was about 10-12 mos old and picked her because she is very submissive. IMO it might work, just do a ton of research on whether to get a pup or a older dog with a known disposition. And the ins and outs of having two DA dogs as a worst case senario because I hope if you ended up with two hot dogs you wouldn't just dump one off. Always be prepared for the worst, that way you won't wind up with a dead dog or two.

8. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

Also keep in mind that your current female is only a year and a half and may not have reached the age and maturity yet to where she "turns on". Sometimes it doesn't matter whether or not a dog has been properly socialized once they hit that mark.

I will say that while opposite gender pairs don't always work, they generally work much better than same sex pairs.

Good luck with whatever you decide and just be prepared for the possibility of having to separate them at some point in their lives.