1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Give it up for Whoopie!

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by simms, Sep 4, 2007.

1. simms

simms CH Dog

2. there's a novel idea, and a descent lesson to be learned from Whoopi. Instead of first passing judgement try to understand cultural differences of various subcultures. (No matter how deviant the mainstream cultural labels those subgroups). Granted dogfighting is illegal in the United States and Vick will receive punishment accordingly, but it is important to view all actions within the confines of individual reference points. It's too easy to sit on a pedastool and give a knee jerk reaction to many situations, but perspective can be gained by empathizing ones own viewpoints with the oppositions moral references. That said lack of empathy manifests itself in many situations, and that is not only intended as a reference to the Vick case. Lawmakers and academics far too often lack the ability to step outside of their offices/classrooms and experience life at the ground level. I mostly agree with Whoopi.

3. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I don't know if I completely agree with her. I am sure he knew what he was doing was "wrong" in the public eye...
    My personal problem if you could even call it that with Vick isn't that he was dogfighting, and not that he killed curs, but the way he went about killing the curs is the part I have a problem with. I still think he should serve sometime though, because he still did break the law, but I wouldn't buy one of those Big Dog shirts that are very anti-Vick. I don't have a serious problem with the guy. I think he screwed up, and he should deal with the consequences, otherwise I don't really care what he does or plans to do in the future.

4. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I see your point, but actually when you grow up around something you are desensitized to it. I had no idea the public would get all shocked and shaken by the fact we used a little DMSO on the front legs of our American Saddlebred Horses for higher leg action. Or how we'd stack on heavy shoes and weights and use bungee shackles on the front feet in training. We'd set off fireworks too to spook them and harness that energy for a flashier look. Culling is also a pretty prominent practice at some of these million dollar showbarns too-don't think it isn't-but you won't hear about it. I admit now looking back some of the trainers could be considered "cruel" by today's standards- but when you live with it and it's part of your life you don't think about it that way. It was just part of the show-life. It was a blast, too- we had a ball :D. Miss those days. {Ducking now :p}

5. Phebes

Phebes Guest

But would she have step forward had it been a Irish football player from Boston?
    They have a long history of dog fighting as well. Do we condon someone from Chinatown in New York or San Francisco for selling or using opium? Real long history of opium dens.
    Dog fighting is illegal and just because drugs were legal before the 1930's in this country you wouldn't say it is ok to sell drugs would you?
    What Vick did was ILLEGAL. That is the magic word. Whether you agree it should be illegal or not. I have known people I wanted to kill but just because I felt that way would not have made it ok to kill someone.
    Illegal is illegal, illegal, illegal period. Not matter how you slice it dog fighting is against the law. He broke the law and should be punished.

1 person likes this.
  6. Thank you good post....I was wondering when it was going to happen....

Well my husband says that where he grew up "in the south", killing people was pretty much normal (and it was... all of his school class mates are either dead or in prison from doing the shooting) so I guess that would make it ok for him to do the same thing huh? I mean its no big deal right? Where he grew up is was a normal thing......
    I figure somewhere out there, there is another Whoopie Goldburg willing to back that up for him...but then he is not a famous person, maybe there isnt?
    I used to have the utmost respect for whoopie, but I am not so sure anymore....(loved that damn woman)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  7. it's just as good as "my dad beat my mom so i'm gonna beat my old lady now!" i feel her comment was utterly ridiculous. i wouldn't doubt if it was staged it's so stupid. i mean come on, they brought her in to replace big mouth rosie. contreversy sells.

8. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

I just don't understand how all the [celebrities] who've been defending Vick keep falling back to their statements that "he didn't know" he was doing something wrong and it took being caught to make him realize dog fighting was something he shouldn't be doing. BS! Vick is an educated man. He wasn't stuck in the deep South his entire life. To say he wasn't aware of the dog fighting laws is completely ludacris in my opinion. Heck, I have a 9 year old nephew who knows dog fighting is illegal! This guy is not dumb, and they shouldn't try to make him seem like he was unaware of current laws.

9. This'll be my first post here. I sure hope it is not offensive to anyone.
    In responce to the above quote; Exactly.
    How do folks think we got all these fine quality pure bred animals. If they were in the wild, nature would do the eliminating. But they are not wild so it is up to people to do the eliminating. [in a quick, painless, clean way]
    I feel that what Vick did is none of my business.

Mule

10. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I understand that, but a simple bullet in the head would be much better than drowning, electricution, or what have you.

11. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I don't think any of us are condemning him for the dogfighting. I think we are all saying that if you are going to play with fire, prepared to get burned. It's common knowledge dogfighting is illegal. I think it's dumb that dogfighting and drugs are illegal. I don't do either, even if they were legal, I wouldn't do either. However, they are illegal, so if you want to still do them, face the consequences of the law...Also, I think the majority of us understand that culling is used and that there is a good purpose behind it, but there are more "humane" ways of going about it, that's for sure. I also believe Vick's life is none of my business, but I am also not going to just believe that "he didn't know any better". I'd rather him be a man, stand behind what he did, and take his punishment, which as of right now, seems like he might just do that, but you never know. Many Americans now a days would rather pass the buck, then take responsibility for their own actions. They blame it on their upbringing, their position in life, their school, etc. If you do something, take responsibility for it. It's that simple....

I also wonder if Whoopie would be saying the same thing if this was a white man...Also, yeah, Whoopie is pretty cool, and should have won an Oscar for the Color Purple. The end. lol.

1 person likes this.
  12. Culling is one thing, in which I believe most folks believe in, but in a humane way....that is the difference, not to mention that the other part (dog fighting) is illegal....
    Even though some may agree with dog fighting....It isn't legal. It may be a great thing, and I know t has its stand, but it is illegal.....

I may not agree with all of the laws they have out there, but I do obey them...
    this is why! Who wants to go to prison?

13. Marty

Marty Guest

Only thing I'd give Whoopie is a foot up the a$$ saying its a southern thang :(

14. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

exactly! That's how I feel.

15. thank you.....I rest my case on my post above on that note!

16. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

Spot on Phebes. Just because someone was brought up differently shouldn't give them a pass for thier mistakes. I agree Vick is pretty dumb ( couldn't figure out any offense by any coach speaks for itself ) but to say he didn't know any better ? Thats just making an excuse for him. If he really didn't know then why would everything have been done in such a covert operation fasion ?

17. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

yeah, most good ol' Southern boys I know have told me that they'd beat the pants off of anyone they found fighting dogs. So, if it's a "Southern thing", then someone better info. those Southerns. lol.

18. gsxr1000

gsxr1000 Pup

Woopie is from New York, she knows nothing about the "southern thing". She stuggled to rationalized what Vick did to make it right. I hate to say it but she is just sticking up for her people. She couldnt even comment on the fact that Vick shocked and torchured dogs that had more fight in him than he will ever have. You can bet Woopie doesnt know Vick and has no creditentials to even comment on the sport. So what is making her stick her neck out?

19. SIMPLE........RATINGS! just like big mouth rosie on there. they get into a heated cat fight and then it makes news. see...just like here. people talking about the dumbass show "THE VIEW"

20. simms

simms CH Dog

I didnt read her in opposition of the gamedog. i dont care about her refferences lol I suppose that it's not enough for a celeb with no connection to the dogs (that I know of) to step up and say it's not that big of a deal. I wish more folk had the nutzs to stand up as she has....

i dont give a sh%t about vick an I dont give a sh%t about what he did to his dogs.....High profillers aint got No place in the game anymore!