1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Going to try build a slatmill

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by ausapbt, Oct 2, 2009.

?

What color slats with black frame

Poll closed Oct 16, 2009.
  1. Stained gloss

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. matt black

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

do you know the size your mate was using?? mine are 45cm x 6.5cm x 1.2cm, ive sanded the corners and made them into a bullnose so hoping their wil be no pinching, the slats are butted tight up against each other aswell.

appreciate it, would be good to see what you guys are using, my belt is just of the shelf from clark rubber 7.5cm wide x 3mm thickness

the wood ive used is tassie oak hard wood, your right about the splinters, i find it does splinter easily, hopefully ive done a good enough job sanding to not have splintering problems...
    what type of wood have you used in the past and if you remember what size?

this is my trail mill so to speak and if it works out im going to build another so i can run two dogs at once..

thanks for the help and advice guys, i appreciate it

2. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

do you and your dog a favour mate, stop..and do not use that rubber belt!
    it will break and if it does your dog may get injured. i know, but we were lucky;)

3. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

here's a picture of the belt.
    i got it from a mechinery belt place, sorry i can't remember the exact name. its a nylon mesh covered. this stuff will last and you won't have any accidents.
    good luck:)

[​IMG]

ps. my slats are 70x12x445

4. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

too much like hard work for me, pleased i got one cheap many moons ago .

5. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

thanks heaps i appreciate it, if you remember where to buy it let us know:cool:

your not wrong, its been hard but worth it for the learning aspect and the satisfaction of doing it yourself

6. MISFIT

MISFIT Pup

I would like a copy of the book! how much?

What are the basics of a mill? angle/degree, placement of wheels etc?

7. Bullseye!

Bullseye! Pup

NICE!! :D

Looking well!!

8. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

Update

Painted the frame and fixed the roller bed, guide wheels and end wheels onto frame,
    made a start on putting the slats onto the frame aswell but i miscalculated by two slats so will have to wait untill tomorrow to finish this,

also the rubber on the bottom of the slats seems to arch up when upside down? any ideas how to prevent this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
  9. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

update

finally done, needs some adjustments to the tower to make them taller for tonka and change of the belt to nylon but so far so good.

in conclusion to this thread, the mill looks like a dogtrotter replica, if you need a slat mill buy one from an established mill builder as this was a pain in the ass to complete, for $1000 your money is well spent buying from a builder like dogtrotter, in total mine cost me about $800 to build and approx 20 hours of my time.

thanks to all who offered help and advice along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

well done, mate that thing looks awesome ive been quietly watching this thread move along and youve done a great job, look forward to seeing some pics of the dogs on it.

11. cutt

cutt CH Dog

very good job...get us some video of the dog wrk on it ...Either way, very good job and thanx for keep us updated

12. Bullseye!

Bullseye! Pup

Woohoo! Great job!

Is it still ok to use the blue prints? :D:D

13. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

be my guest, just remember the tower to chain the dog in needs to be 350mm to 450mm in lieu of 250mm... all the best with it and be sure to send me some pics once yours is done :cool:

cheers
    ausapbt

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  14. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Hey good job on the mill . Yeah you could have spent 1k but it always feels good to say "Yeah i built that " . But think about it the next time you make one you will know what to do and how to do it so that should save you some time and money . How easy does it turn ?

15. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

thanks... spinks ok, best ive got is 3 and 1/2 turns from 1 push

cheers
    ausapbt

16. zarna

zarna Big Dog

well done mate looks good.

17. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

thanks all, so far so good, had tonka on for 5 mins last night, going to go for another 5 tonight and work up from their:cool:

18. peppapig

peppapig Banned

any chance of a vid of dog working on it??;)

19. Lipcurl

Lipcurl Big Dog

Just shipped mine out this morning :( lol

20. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog