1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Good dogs are where you find em'

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by YoungLion, Jun 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Imo its about not having judgments.

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

that sayings half true & half bullshit.....

to me it means the pedigree can say this & that, but it doesnt guarantee a good one........ OR you can find a dog completely bred like hell..... and have it turn out to be a decent (or good) dog for yah.... however i always hear the term being thrown around right afetr the term "dog makes the ped, ped dont make the dog"..... which again..... is half bullshit, sure you can "get a good one from a shitty breeding", but.... its not as likely...... and why wouldnt you stack every odd in your favor? there is an outline to breeding good dogs CONSISTANTLY... and thats to start with GOOD DOGS that are bred the same!

3. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

you aint gonna go to the pound, get a dog & say "good dogs are where you find em!" ..... lol..... thats retarted.....

4. MONTO

MONTO Pup

i remember reading a article years ago written by jack kelly, he saw one of the best dogs he had ever seen, someone handed him a pedigree of the dog and he didn't recognize one dog in 6 generations but it was one hell of a dog according to him...

5. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I don't like repeating myself, but it seems we're overlooking the fact that there are at least 2 aspects one must consider as to "Good dogs are where you find 'em." One differential I feel is the most important, is that it applies to performance a hell of a lot more than it does to continual good breeding practices.
    Yes, pedigrees don't make good dogs. And yes, good dogs do make for better breedings, on paper and in reality. And, in fact, a pedigree is nothing more than a reference as to how your dogs are bred. And even then, only if they are correct.
    KNOWING your dog, the dogs around him, littermates etc, his immediate and semi-immediate dogs behind him, and the dogs around them, is what gives you the one thing needed for a continuum of good dogs, and it's called consistencies. Namely, the ones you WANT in your dogs. This applies to your dogs AND any dog or dogs you choose to cross to.
    I call this "knowing your likelihoods", which of course, comes with NO guarantees as to what you may get. But it IS the one common thread to longevity of quality in these dogs.
    You learn your likelihoods by knowing your dogs. There is no other way to know them and utilize them. Pedigrees? Merely gives you the names of the dogs you need to KNOW, and follow their qualities given to you, up to and including YOUR dog(s).
    As I said, they're where you find 'em. But, you are surely more likely to find them in some places, than you are in others. There are differentials in the good fortune of finding one "where you find it", too.

6. AVON

AVON Banned

If you saw a freak of nature from Pookie the Zombie would you give him $300 & take a chance? Like 35?

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Not in todays climate, in 35's era the dogs were more true to form. Back in the 70s that state MIGHT have had 1 million pitbulls. To where in 2013 that same state has 15 million pitbulls! Lol, so the odds of finding another 35 arent IMPOSSIBLE, but still are slim to none.

So no, ill stack the odds in my favor and buy a well bred dog that i know somthing about.....