1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Grch or Ch breeding q&a

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by CBRSALT, Jul 6, 2012.

1. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Grch or Ch breeding q&a

How many times would you breed a grch or ch (if you had one), whether male or female, before you said, "enough is enough, they cant reproduce themselves"? Theres alot of variables to consider also- how that grch or ch is bred, breeding them to the same fam or diff fam, how many times with same bitch/stud cause you may get a fire litter the first time and garbage the next, how many different studs or bitches to take em to if nothing quality is produced after the first breeding , etc etc. Figured it may make for an interesting discussion. And this is assuming you are keeping the whole litter every time. And this is for producing offspring thats better/or at least the same quality as the parents. Not just producing "good" dogs. And no I dont have either or, just got to wondering what would ppl do after looking at some of the past grch and ch's and how many times they had been bred (that we know of).

2. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Re: Grch or Ch breeding q&a

Are you keeping them?
    How good are you at brining out the best in them?
    Who is behind you backing them? it takes a team for that effort.
    If you look at some of the classics that made history look who was behind them, then ask yourself can I take it there?

3. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i'd breed the ranked bitch as much as i can due to females have a short time frame with me.nothing before 4 years old & nothing after 8 years. if you got something ranked & your breeding them all you need is usable dogs & everything will work itself out. anytime you breed your shit is different from the next. performance & production are two different things so you got to evaluate it different.

4. WWII

WWII Banned

Why only 4 years? Is it due to ability to reproduce?

5. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Depends on what ways you have bred them. There are a ton of numbers and no real set number imo. I think if a dog earns its right to be bred you owe then a shot. I don't think producer and performance are different though. If you look at the top producers most were great performers. Even though Frisco wasn't matched he was suppose to be an extremely rough and hard mouthed dog. No surprise that's what he produced. There are exceptions to every rule but as a rule good dogs come from good dogs.

6. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

most ranked bitch are around 4 once they get to top of mountain. anything over 8 has the right to be a house dog & stay that way imo. i don't breed bitches that old. that's why i plan for the future about breeding. it's more to it then just breeding performance to performance when you keeping them all. a lot goes into it when you decide to develop dogs of your own. if you just look at the Phenotype without thinking about Genotype then your over looking the whole picture.

7. Hachiman

Hachiman Big Dog

I'll breed a bitch as soon as it's proven it's worth breeding. That may be 2 1/2 or it may be at 4.

Males on the other hand, I only breed after they are retired. I have seen males that lose something after they are bred.

Now, how many times will I breed before I say enough is enough? If it aint throwing anything worth crap, there is no reason to keep breeding it. Why beat a dead horse? That's just a waste of time and feed money!

8. vellie

vellie Big Dog

well i think like this,one if your breeding a ch to a female of that ch family say rbjb line and they don't produce then something is wrong.now if you battle cross a ch to and out cross female may be they just don't work well with that line.but on the other hand if you work the line and make and handle your own ch;then breed a female off your yard and it don't work.start a the begin and breed the hound the same way you did to get the ch.some people get hound from big kennels of ch that don't work and others get hounds that don't produce.take your time and have some patience and thing will work out.

9. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

I think a few get what im asking but a few dont. First, this aint a question for my own benefit or a problem im going through. But a just a curiosity question. No right or wrong answer. An opinion question so to speak. I know I rambled alot in my original post so il try to condense it- If you had a grch, ch, or even a good dog you wanted to have offspring off of, how many times would you breed him or her if you were trying to reproduce or produce better than him or her and to how many different mates would you take em too before you admit to yourself "they are not a producer, only performer". But thx to all who have responded so far. Good answers from all. Like i said its alot of variables and ifs to it, late nite thinkn one night.

10. Hachiman

Hachiman Big Dog

I've always said breeding is a crap shoot. It depends on how the genes line up whether anything is produced.

If you try it and it isn't working, try mixing it a little different. But, if you can't find the right combination after a few breedings, it probably isn't going to work and it's not worth the time and feed money.

I was lucky with my RED MAN dog. He crossed well with everything he was bred to, except when he was bred to a tight YELLOW bitch.

11. gameexchange

gameexchange Big Dog

We bred a ch to a ch and they are on fire!! Lol but serious. They are bred similar. The male is jeep/redboy/rascal & the female is jeep/redboy/rascal/jocko. Same blood just threw different dogs so it wasn't a suprise that it clicked. Damn thing is the male and female are pretty old and don't kno if we'll get another chance off them. I kno it's not really related to this topic just felt like bragging a little