1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Grooming

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 215pitts, Jan 3, 2005.

1. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

Ok people! Don't get upset but I didn't find a section for grooming! Here's my question, my pup is 1 1/2 years old now and I was never able to trim his nails. I always walked him out side on the cement so he could scratch away, also even the vet can't trim his nails. Well today I tried to do it and he was actually good until I got to the back paws.....as soon as he saw me bring the nail trimer to the back paw, he give a loud suprisingly goar and I smacked him (sorry it was relfex). Any ideas on how to approach this?

2. AC

AC Big Dog

What we do at the vet's office is wrap them up in a towel tight enough so they can't get their legs out voluntarily. Then you grab a limb and expose the nails and if needed have someone hold them down while you do it. If your dog/pup growls that's definetly not a good thing. Try gets a spray bottle full of water and spray his face if he ever does it again. Hopefully he'll learn.

3. AC

AC Big Dog

P.S. Use a muzzle if you have to!

4. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

Try clipping his nails when he's a sleep thats when I clip my dogs nails.no problems yet.

5. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

I've never thought of that but.....I think I'll pass on that!