1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Gun thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yardboy, May 5, 2010.

1. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

That gun looks nice. Have you had any mechanical issues like jamming? I got a S&W 10 round .22 last summer. 6" barrel, easy to aim and fun to shoot. The main problem is that .22 rounds are hard to find. I see that yours shoots .22 magnums.

[video=youtube;89VXa1eUyUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VXa1eUyUw[/video]

2. olddog

olddog Big Dog

It will jam and I have found that most of the time it is improper loading procedure of the magazine. You must make sure that the rounds are seated firmly and evenly by occasionally tapping the back side of the magazine on your loading surface. That and proper break in (at least a couple hundred rounds of diff. types to see what your gun likes) and a through cleaning to get rid of the factory gunk. Sometimes 22 Mag. can be rarer than hen's teeth. I always look at Wally World for every day plinking ammo and hit the local gun shows for more serious ammo. All I can say is if you see the brands you like buy as much as you can afford and store in a military ammo box(s).
    Olddog

3. olddog

olddog Big Dog

4. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Nice Dbl barrel. I can hear Tombstone in the background. lol

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Bk....get you a little 38 snub. All u need.

6. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

^^ Too much recoil for most women.

7. old goat

old goat CH Dog

and not enough stopping power either .

8. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

im real happy with my XD45

9. treezpitz

Good point OG. Ursa, I love my XD also. Light recoil for the size of ammo.

10. old goat

old goat CH Dog

38's are known to bounce off the skull . not all the the but it only takes the one time your trying to save your life to make you know you needed more fire power if you make it .

11. treezpitz

OG, I agree with what you're saying and my comment is not towards you, I know you know more about weapons than I do.

The kind of ammo makes a big difference also. There is a member on here who disagreed with me about hollow points having more stopping power than a regular FMJ. Hollow points are what you want to have in your weapon for protection. If you're going to the range, you want the cheaper FMJ rounds.

Also, I have "high quality" hollow points in my firearms. Brand like "speer" and "hornady" etc.. because I believe they have better stopping power than your basic HP rounds. Those brands are what I've been told the police carry.

12. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

Obviously the other person has no idea what they are talking about. FMJ rounds do not expand, which is why HP rounds are more efficient at stopping an attacker.

Speer Good Dots, Hornady Critical Duty, Remington Golden Sabres, Federal HST, etc etc are all great rounds. I just so happen to have all of them in my safe as well.

13. treezpitz

Shhhhh, SJ. Don't say it too loud,he thinks he knows everything lol.

Federal was the other one that wasn't coming to my head right away but, yes, can't forget Federal. I don't know if I've tried those Remington ones or not, I'll look for those.

14. old goat

old goat CH Dog

treez i know you wasn't talking to me . i was just saying a 38 is not a man stopper all the time . it will do the job but it will also bounce off . i had a friend that wanted a boar so i caught him 1 in a trap . we went in his truck to get it and he wanted to shoot it with his 38 . well lol i told him no use my 22 mag because it will bounce off . he didn't believe me so he walked up to the trap and shot it between the eyes and it just knocked him down and he got up and was pissed . then i told him to use the 22 mag and shot it behind the ear and drive it up into his brain . there was a guy here robbed and he thought someone hit him in the back of his head . well it was a 38 round and it was under the skin behind his ear . someone shot him it the back of the head but it went under the skin and stopped behind the ear .

15. treezpitz

lol That's wild, I sure don't doubt it, just never heard of it before. Wonder if they were using a HP round or not. Do you know if your buddy was?

I figured you wouldn't think I was debating your .38 theory, just wanted to be clear so there was no confusion at all with my comment.

16. old goat

old goat CH Dog

my friend did have 38 HP when he shot the boar . he told me his HP would do the job . but i told him i'm standing behind the truck . i also seen a 22 mag not go in the head and came out under the neck and hit the ground and then hit a wall of the barn . don't be slaughtering hogs in the barn that can get you hurt . the slaughter houses around here stopped that because a 22 mag hit the concrete floor and then went into the guys leg .

17. treezpitz

LOL at "I'm standing behind the truck" .....LOL

I've heard of .22 ricocheting before inside of somebody but I don't think I've heard of it exiting, I surely don't doubt it one bit though. I've never owned a .22 but I know I'll need one out in the country to kill vermin.

18. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Yes tree very light recoil and very accurate for a handgun also. if you don't have a .22 you missing out, lots of fun to shoot.

19. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

.22's are very fun to shoot. I have 2. I wouldn't use them as a protection piece though unless we are talking last resort scenereos. You want a real manstopper get yourself one of these:

[video=youtube;hgnwO0o2ClQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgnwO0o2ClQ[/video]

The video also highlights the difference in different types of rounds and their effectivness. lol That Hornady round will liquify your mellon. :lol:

20. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

I posted about the difficulty in finding .22 LR rounds in my area. You have to be lucky to find a box of 50 rounds.

Does anyone buy ammo online? For example, here is a company selling some apparently-nice .22LR ammo for $287 for 2500 rounds which is about 11 cents per round. That is expensive, although maybe the quality of these is good. CI .22LR HV 2500rds

Here is a list of online sellers for .22 rounds gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun Ammunition Deals

But again, is online the way to go for ammo?