1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hartz topical flea and tick products

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Riptora, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I just want to STRONGLY suggest that no one every use any HARTZ BRAND topical flea and tick products on any of your pets.

I have known of MANY people ( that I know personally ) who have had horrible experiences with this product. Aside from complaints that it doesn't work, there has been severe hair loss, allergic reactions and obvious discomfort from dogs. Shock, seizures, over-night stays at the animal hospital and death in cats.

These are cases that I have know from friends and that's plenty enough for me NOT to ever use it.

Hartz is MUCH cheaper than Frontline, Bio Spot, Advantage, any of that, and you can buy it at the grocery store. I would recommend spending the little extra $ to avoid this product.

That's all, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2006
  2. Suki

Suki Guest

Ironic you should mention this. I was just reading about this last night....

I also "heard" that the products they sell, in, say Walmart, i.e., rabbit food, raw hide bones etc, are basically "bad" as well. I stay away from Hartz.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Our clinic has seen more than our share of adverse reactions in dogs & cats to the Hartz flea products & also the Biospot flea products. The reactions have ranged from hair loss & chemical burns to death with the majority of our cases ending in death from neurological damage done by the products.

Just remember folks, most of the time you get what you pay for.

4. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

My vet has always told me to stay away from ANY and ALL Hartz products. I do just that. She said she has seen many animals die and come into the vet on "their last leg" due to Hartz.

5. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

great post, i wasnt aware. My dog used hartz collar and shampoo back then, but it didnt cause any problems.. though, it didnt help with the flea problem either

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

The toxicity problems is stemming from their topspot treatments (the drops you put on the skin once a month in a similar manner to Advantage & Frontline). As far as the shampoos go, well, you've already figured out you've wasted your money. ;)

7. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

It's amazing this stuff is still on the market. One friend who's cat was hospitalized from it called the company but got no where of course. Who's going to sue them anyways? even if you lose your pet it costs so much to attack a large company like that and you'll probably lose the battle.
    I used to use Biospot, I won't touch it now.
    Yes, you do tend to get what you pay for.