1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

~ Heartworm Treatment ~

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Your Worst Nightmare, May 7, 2004.

1. Once again, found on the net and posted to them who needed help!

I use the same chemical that is in those expensive (prescription only) pills at a fraction of the cost. The prevention that I use is given once every 30 days (monthly) the same as the pills. In parts of the country during the coldest times of the year when no mosquitoes could survive, the prevention can even be suspended until the weather starts warming up again. If you suspect a dog may already have heartworms, before putting a dog on the following prevention it should be checked by a Vet to be sure it has no heartworms. The cost of this exam is generally between $5 - $15. It is a lot cheaper to have the exam to make sure your dog is not already infected, than it is to have a Vet save an infected dog during the advanced stages of heartworm infestation. This prevention (describe below) is only good to prevent an infection from ever occurring, once a dog is already infected then it must be given the very expensive treatment described in the first paragraph of this page.

The exam consists of a vet drawing a small amount of blood, putting a smear of it on a slide and looking at it through a microscope. The microfilariae look like tiny wiggler fishing worms. This prevention is not to be given to collies or part collies. What I use is Ivermectin. It is a 1% injectible cattle wormer with the trade name of Ivomec ™ . You can purchase it (without a prescription) for $40 - $50 at your Veterinarian Supply Store or through a catalog from a Vaccine Wholesale Supplier. The bottle comes in a 50cc size. I give it orally which means by the mouth. I use 1/10th of 1cc for each 10 pounds of body weight. The syringes I use are 3cc and are marked off in tenths of 1cc.

The way I do it is to draw out 2cc of Ivomec. Then I inject what is needed into an empty syringe (without a needle) with the plunger pulled down on the 1cc mark. I dribble it into the empty one until I have the proper amount. I will have a few ounces of soft drink or orange juice in an open container. I will draw in 1½ - 2cc of the juice to mix with the Ivomec. I put my finger over the end of the syringe and shake up the mixture. The reason for this is to give me more volume to work with and to make it taste better for the dog. I put my hand across the dog's nose with my thumb on one side and my fingers on the other side. Then I put pressure on my thumb and fingers to force open the dog's mouth. I then tip its head up and squirt the contents of the syringe in the roof of its mouth. Finally, I then close the mouth and hold it closed until the dog swallows. This is the only correct way to orally administer all types of liquid medications to dogs so that you do not accidentally squirt the liquid into the dog's windpipe and/or lungs.

I do this treatment to each and every dog once every 30 days. The Ivomec kills all those little microfilariae (larva) in the bloodstream so they never have a chance to mature into heartworms. Microfilariae will circulate in the blood for more than 30 days before attaching to the heart, so if you give this prevention on schedule there is "NO POSSIBLE WAY" for your dog to get heartworms. Even if a drug is labeled as safe for pregnant and/or lactating bitches. Personally, I don't recommend you give any kind of medications to a pregnant bitch unless the life of the bitch is in grave danger; however, I will give medications to lactating bitches. The difference is the pups are already born and not in their developing and forming stages in the womb.

The cost is very minimal for each dog. If the 50cc bottle of Ivomec costs you $40.00, this is 80 cents per cc. Given 12 months in a row, a 20 lb. dog will take 2½cc per year. That is a cost of $2.00 for a one year prevention. The shelf life for the Ivomec is about 3 years if kept refrigerated. Therefore, this method is feasible to use even if you only have one (dog), and it is by far the cheapest and most effective prevention against heartworms. If you have two or more dogs this can save you hundreds of dollars per year!

2. MMK

MMK Guest

great information once agian thanks for contributing to the site
    MMK

3. gator

gator Big Dog

I have been using it for years and have NEVER had a problem but in the summer months I worm twice a month.

4. i even get mine shipped to me and it cost 18.00 a bottle from eppinette kennels chech em out

5. Onac

Onac Pup

WE HAVE USED THE SAME METHOD FOR 15 PLUS YEARS. AND UNTIL A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, NEVER SOLD IT TO THE PUBLIC. OTHERS HAVE COPIED AND TRIED TO FOLLOW. BUT YOU CHECK IT OUT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF. WE ARE CHEAPER AND FASTER. IVOMEC 1% MIXED AND READY TO USE OR STRAIGHT FOR AN EVEN BETTER VALUE. VISIT THE SITE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF, HOW WE CAN HELP YOUR YARD. WORMER, COLLARS, CHAIN, NUTRITIONAL PRODUCTS, BREEDING STANDS.....ETC ETC.
    www.geocities.com/amwk1989/amwk.html or www.geocities.com/amwk1989/kennelproducts.html

WE CAN HELP, SEE FOR YOURSELF.
    YIS AMWK

J M A N likes this.
  6. mobster

mobster Pup

the idea is good. i use ivomec injectables sub-Q, but i didnt knew that ivomec can be used orally for dogs. thanks for sharing.

7. AJUST67

AJUST67 Pup

i use the same method, Ivomec also kills a few other types of worms. But be careful not to give excess this can cause harm to your dog. If you plan to breed, you should hit your females up, to get her completely wormed out.

8. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Ivomec is a heartworm preventive, it may kill SOME of the other types of worms but its best to use another type wormer that was intended for other worms to insure you have killed them all. Ivomec IS NOT a suggested wormer for roundworms, tapes, yada yada yada....
    BB

9. JC-Pitbulls

JC-Pitbulls Top Dog

I get mine there also, I'm only about 20 min. from there. www.eppinettekennels.com they have a lot of good products. nice people too.

10. carson3535

carson3535 Big Dog

thanks man for the info, this is stuff the vets don't want you to hear.

11. general

general Big Dog

just like to point out to readers of the first post put up, that following the withdrawal of the first dose of ivomec from its bottle the product is to be used within 3 months!!!! to avoid the introduction of contamination during use! ivomec does not work against the tape worm!!!

12. Classic

Classic Big Dog

For the record,
    Ivomec must NOT be used on collies...sometimes fatal reactions.
    Not that most here have collies, but just in case.

13. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

you also shouldnt keep giving straight ivermectin to a dog..you have to mix it once and awhile.

In some breeds of dogs like shelties and collies, you should not use Ivermectin at all

14. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

its because the Ivermectin you buy without a prescription is not label for use in dogs... Vets can get in serious trouble for telling you to use or persrcibe a drug that isnt labeled for canine use .. Same way that (unless it has changed) ivermectin was not labeled for use to treat mange and vets who prescribed it could have faced serious fines..

15. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Ivermectin is still NOT labeled as an effective treatment of demodex or scabies. Our clinic has used it to clear up scabies (sarcoptic mange) in dogs, but ONLY we explain to our clients that it has yet to be a proven drug for this purpose & also risks of using it. Although many people have starting using this drug to clear up a demodex breakout, it is still undergoing research & trial usages around the US (LSU is doing a major research study). To treat demodex, larger doses & an increased number of doses are needed than that used to treat scabies (only 2 shots) and this can lead to serious adverse rxns. Our clinic will not do it (we refer them to LSU) as we, the vets & clinic itself, it will be held stricly liable if something happens to the dog in treatment. The makers of Ivermectin have not seen enough evidence to state that their med is a safe & reliable med to use in the treatment of mange, therefore it is a "use at your own risk" drug.

And although Ivomec is widely used in dogs for the prevention of htwms (I used to use it), rocksteady is right that we cannot "prescribe" it for your dog as it is not labeled for use in dogs. If asked, we will tell the client that it does work for this, but we cannot "tell" them to use it.

16. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

So here is the question, If one is using Heartguard for HT WRM prev. can Ivermectin treatment begin? I am aware that Heartguard is Ivermectin, so why does it not seem to have the same effects? Or does it? Could Heartguard be given instead of Ivermectin?

17. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

QUOTE]So here is the question, If one is using Heartguard for HT WRM prev. can Ivermectin treatment begin? I am aware that Heartguard is Ivermectin, so why does it not seem to have the same effects? Or does it? Could Heartguard be given instead of Ivermectin [/QUOTE]
    Bear with me, I'm a little confused & not quite understanding of what you mean. Are you asking if Heartguard can be used to kill off heartworms in a already hw+ dog? If that's what you're asking, then the answer is yes. Although it can take up to 2-2.5 yrs ( sometimes in less than a year to 1 yr)to completely rid the dog off heartworms, yet you are taking away the risk of clots forming & killing your dog.

If your asking if Heartguard protects against intestinal worms, then yes Heartguard Plus does.

If I'm wrong on both of these "assumptions" just kick me to the curb.;)

18. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

I'm a little confused about the storage of Ivomec/Ivermectine. If it is shipped to me unrefrigerated (unopened of course), and I refridgerate it after opening it, how long should it last me? I don't want to buy a 50cc bottle, thinking I'm getting a great deal only to have to throw away 1/2 of it cause it doesn't get used (I'd only use a maximum of 5cc's per month).

19. KnottyBoyNC

KnottyBoyNC Big Dog

We use a type of Horsewormer and u only have to give it 2 them 4 days straight....$10 for 1 dog

20. KnottyBoyNC

KnottyBoyNC Big Dog

sorry guys have 2 get 50 posts