1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

~ Heartworm Treatment ~

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Your Worst Nightmare, May 7, 2004.

1. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

Zimectrin, Zimectrin Gold, Ivercare, Or whatever off brand Ivermectin horse paste 1.87% thats on sale is what I've been using for 20 years at least! I worm myself with the same stuff every 30 days along with my dogs, I've never overdosed not even a puppy! and I definitely don't exactly dose to the weight of my dog, I just eyeball it, with the tip of my finger, Bigger dogs get a little more smaller dogs get a little less, when it comes to me I give myself twice as much as the dogs get, Zimectrin tastes the best! Kinda like lemon flavor!
    People that own dogs GOTS THE SAME WORMS!!!!!!!!! GOOGLE IT!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
  2. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

Actually I mix, Ivermecin, Pyrantel Poamate, and Fenbendazole Together and worm my dogs and me like that every month, Gets um all! If That don't get all those super worms NOTHING WILL! Even gets the Human Dwarf Tapeworm! That 99% of Humanity has. LOL believe me I KNOW!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
  3. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Bullnuts when is the last time you heartworm tested every dog on your yard? If you are going to use Ivermectin use the liquid not the paste. The Ivermectin in the paste is not evenly distruduted throughout the paste.

Actually the 1/10cc per 10pds is more than 3x the recomended dose. Try more than 20x the dose.

My biggest dog on the yard is 58pds. If I was to give him 1/10cc per 10pds I would give 0.6 well that equals 6mg of Ivermectin which equals to 6000mcg. When he only needs 272mcg to be properly protected.

Which means I would be giving him 22x the dose needed. That is a HUGE overdose. The actual dose needed is .006cc/kilogram.

Example. I will take my largest dog Mike. He weighs 58pds. To change his weight from pounds to kilograms I have to divide his weight by 2.2.

58/2.2=26.3kg

Then I have to multiply his kilograms by the dosage of the medicine recomended. Which in this case is .006

26.3X.006=.1578

So that mean to PROPERLY dose my dog with the correct about of Ivermectin means he needs .1578mg

I then need to divide the mg needed by the concentration of the medicine. The way it is available over the counter is 10mg/ml.

.1578/10=.01578ml

Tell me how you an properly dose .015ml/cc

Again I know it has been done for years so has many things however it is off label and way to much.

My point is if you chose to do it then fine. But be informed about your decisions. And realize the pros as well as cons. And the possible damage it can cause your pet. And remember your eyes are not microscopes and you have no idea what you are doing internally.

People do not realize that it can cause kidney and liver damage. And animals do not get clinical until 75-80% of their function is gone. So you really do not know by looking at an animal is something is wrong.

Your dogs your decision. ;) But make it an informed one.

4. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

dammit they just neeed to make ivermectin pills for dogs and sell them over the counter!

5. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

JR Enterprises sells 65mL bottles of diluted ivermectin @ .05% $25 a bottle.
    1mL enough to dose a 40lb dog.

heartwormprevention.com

6. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

Never! It's impossible for any of my dogs to get heartworm then and now, with the way I worm!

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Yes while they say it is guaranteed. You will get a refund for the product. However if the product fails they will not pay for the treatment of the heartworms like ALL the prescription HWP manufacturers will (which can be up to $1000 depending on the weight of the animal). I am sorry they mix that themselves and who knows if they are compounding it correctly. One their site they do not list the mg/ml. Or even the concentration of the meds. You are taking their word. And one their site their legal disclaimer says you are doing it at YOUR OWN RISK. From a person you have no idea if it was handled properly or even mixed properly. Sorry But no thanks.

Me personally if I had to choose stick to the Cattle Swine 1% Solution from a reputable comping (merial and others) than buy it from someone who I have no idea of their credentials.

I am not saying do not use the 1% Solution however what I am saying is be aware of what you are doing. Understand the pros vs Cons

Never say Never. You do not test therefore you do not know. And actually Fenbendazole does not elimanate the most common tapeworm that dogs/cats get from fleas. It will get the Taneia species but not the one from fleas.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  8. spliff

spliff Big Dog

I'm using the 1% ivermectin for the first time and i am looking for more advise on the proper dosage.it seems there are alot of different opinions on this.i have a luer lock syringe that measures from 0.5 to 3 ml and i would like to get as many opinions on the dose as possible.please if you use this stuff take a min. and post up the dose you give.

9. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

How much does your dog weigh?

10. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

[QUOTE Never say Never. You do not test therefore you do not know.[/QUOTE]
    Don't assume you think you know, what I know about my dogs!
    It is not possible for Heartworms to get a foothold using Ivermectin throughout there life on a regular schedule!
    Someone as Vet smart as you portray yourself to be SHOULD know this!

11. spliff

spliff Big Dog

ones 55 the others 64

12. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

give them both 3/4 of a cc and you will be good to go. I have been using ivomec for 20 years on dogs.

13. spliff

spliff Big Dog

thanks for all the advise,i gave them their first dose of 3/4 cc a couple of days ago and all went well.a few more questions have come up...dose ivermectin need to be stored air tight?the reason i ask is i had to pop off the stopper because i did not have a syringe on hand.i contacted the manufacturer about this and they said it has never been tested in that way there for she couldn't give any advise on that,only that it shouldn't be exposed to light.another question is has anyone tried to mix it with food or inject it in a hot dog or something?i ask because going by there reaction it must really taste like shit and I'm predicting its gonna be a bitch next month to get it in them..

14. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I have only used it on my dogs as a injections so i'm not sure.

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

whats the stuff used to dilute the ivermectin, they say you should mix it with the ivermec you give them.

16. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

whats the stuff used to dilute the ivermectin, they say you should mix it with the ivermec you give them.

propylene glycol

17. Jt.

Jt. Pup

Do you or anyone else know if these guys are legit or have used their product?

18. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I use it monthly.

19. Jt.

Jt. Pup

Excellent. :)

I think I'll give it a try.

20. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Heartworms

Whats the latest you would give Ivomec before you think a pup needs to be tested for heartworms?