1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

~ Heartworm Treatment ~

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Your Worst Nightmare, May 7, 2004.

1. Re: Heartworms?????

for one to come and ask advice- and then act all ~billy bad ass~ once they get advice that you just dont want to hear, is plain ignorant.as stated- if your financial situation does not warrant it, you should not have animals under your care...plain and simple. crying about student loans and bad credit isnt going to cut it.you asked, they told.it has ZERO to do with a user's membership status-its common sense ( which aint too common these days)if you cant afford a $20 test annually, you should not have dogs
    Well Mr SUPER moderator sir/ma'am... If you read this thread as you MUST have done, you would have read that I thanked each person for their advice...second, I wasn't ~billy bad~ at all, the others were the gunslingers, I simply stood up for myself while thanking them too! You may have even read where I stated that the dog wasn't my dog, however I do go to her home and feed and care for the dog. My dogs have been on ivermec since puppies so they are fine. Also, even if it were my dog and I was asking for some advice about something I obviously don't know a whole lot about, as a "DOGMAN" they should have been willing to help, not just get all ~billy bad~ about it. Have a nice day ;-)

2. Re: Heartworms?????

for one to come and ask advice- and then act all ~billy bad ass~ once they get advice that you just dont want to hear, is plain ignorant.as stated- if your financial situation does not warrant it, you should not have animals under your care...plain and simple. crying about student loans and bad credit isnt going to cut it.you asked, they told.it has ZERO to do with a user's membership status-its common sense ( which aint too common these days)if you cant afford a $20 test annually, you should not have dogs
    Well Mr SUPER moderator sir/ma'am... If you read this thread as you MUST have done, you would have read that I thanked each person for their advice...second, I wasn't ~billy bad~ at all, the others were the gunslingers, I simply stood up for myself while thanking them too! You may have even read where I stated that the dog wasn't my dog, however I do go to her home and feed and care for the dog. My dogs have been on ivermec since puppies so they are fine. Also, even if it were my dog and I was asking for some advice about something I obviously don't know a whole lot about, as a "DOGMAN" they should have been willing to help, not just get all ~billy bad~ about it. Have a nice day ;-)

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

Re: Heartworms?????

you will note the bolded text. you will find your time here better without the smart mouth attitude ( im a Yankee, sarcasm, smart assedness, are areas of great study for me) and realizing that being combative or the like is not going to bode well in your search for answers. there are alot of people here who know what they are talking about, some have even made animal care their livelyhood.
    dont like it? dont post- use the search function and see if it has been covered before. otherwise, when you get called to the carpet take your medicine like a man.

we have seen/heard it all before. crawfishing, "its not my dog", "im asking for a friend", "yeah, i feed and care for the dog, but its my buddies", etc, etc, etc.

4. Re: Heartworms?????

Yeah I take my licks...but why licks? Why not just say "hey dude, that dog needs to see a vet and u can't afford it adopt it out... Instead of "you stupid muther- you don't have better sense than a pigeon- you need to shoot that piece of- you are a piece of- you dumb this and that... Sounds like your average groupie seeking approval from the top dog! Lol. I mean really. And as for the dog owner, that doesn't matter I really should not have disclosed that info because its beyond the point. I need to get her to the vet! Period. But all the uproar looking for a pat on the back is uncalled for. As a Man I will defend myself from such attacks. I just choose to do it without vulgarity. As u can see, it hurts more. Not that that's the aim;-)

5. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

For some of us, these dogs/breed is our life. If you expect us to share part of our life with you, then you bet your bottom dollar we wanna know a brief intro about you and your situation. And if you know your dog needs a vet, then why sit on this site asking questions and waiting for replies when you got a sick dog next to you. You set yourself up from jump street, " I can't afford a vet" then you can afford a pet is what should be processing in your head. It's really common sense to say the least, no one can diagnose from the Internet. JMO

6. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

aparently, you and i have a very different comprehension of the english language, as i DID infact read your replies...didnt see many "thank you's" in your replies, if any.

and YOU need to realize the sheer number of "new" people that come here, and do just what you did- ask a question that you already know the answer to, in your case its a simple HW test. but no, you hope to find a magic answer, and when you dont, and the folks who love and keep this breed in the face of adversity call you out for your lack of caring/understanding of course you are going to get razzed. if it REALLy was a concern, you would find a way to pay for the test, instead you will piss into the wind w/ half cocked home remedy

7. Re: Heartworms?????

You guys are the best... Again thank you all for your advice each and everyone of you. Like I said before, I'm taking the dog to the vet. This site is cool!!!!!! Filled with genuine people who just love and care for their dogs. I can learn so much from all of you who commented on my post. I hope you all will continue to help me thanks a lot guys! ;-)

8. fblb

fblb Top Dog

Thank you....good post.

9. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Exactly what I was thinking and wanted to say! Thanx Rally!

10. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Ivermectin

I was looking around for a place to buy Ivermectin and tractor supply looks to have it. My question though is i only see it for livestock and not dogs. Do you use the stuff for cattle just in a dif dose? I found some info that said you give a dog 1/10th a cc per 20 lbs of body weight but i am not sure if that is canine grade or cattle grade. Also anyone know where i can buy Droncit?

11. dillybar

dillybar Pup

12. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Re: Ivermectin

If you type Ivermectin or heartworms in the search bar of this forum several threads will come up where this has been discussed plenty of times. :)

13. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Ok thanks, just felt a bit better about gettin some live first hand advice as to what exactly you give and how much? I figured i could find it in a search but i am a bit leary to just give my dog something i found in a thread. Not trying to be a pain in the ass or make anyone go over something they have a million times just wanna be safe!!

14. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

:)Use the injectable kind for cattle, 1% solution. Inject it under the skin. I like to over dose them a bit. I give a 40-45 pound dog a half cc. You really only need droncit once a year. The links dillybar gave you are good to go!:)

15. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Is it the same dose if you are trying to de-worm vrs monthly prevention. I have a dog that has had the squirts for like two weeks. She just stopped the flagil yesterday morning. It helped but not all that well, now that i stopped she is right back to real bad. Its weird cuz her energy has been high throughout. It all started with her having blood in her stool for a few days like a good amount and then she threw up some grass and bile. Ever since she is all good but her stools are water. She has been on boiled rice and chicken and broth since it started happening and the rice does not seem to digest all that well, comes out whole. It did digest when on the flagil though. Her stool was tested and it came back clear for everything it was sent to the lab so they could test for everything. I done some reading and what i found says that worms and parasites can cause loose stool, vomit and blood. I figure she was on raw for many moths before the boiled chicken and rice so maybe it just did not show in the test. This happened twice before when she was young and once it ended up being coccidia and the other time giardia. She has all the same symptoms so i figure worming is the next logical step? Hence why i just wanna worm her for everything and see if it helps?

16. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I only worm my dogs every 2 months. I use the same dosage everytime.

17. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

k thanks for the help... what would the math be on every ten lbs of body weight at the amount you like to give. I read in a thread that you have had dogs for 18-22 years and if you been doing this yourself i think i would trust your amounts. thanks again!

18. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Tell me about how much each of your dogs weigh and I will tell you what I would give them.

19. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I read lol!!!

20. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

55 conditioned 60 non.. and the other one is a bully and a year old at 90lbs.