1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

~ Heartworm Treatment ~

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Your Worst Nightmare, May 7, 2004.

1. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Re: Ivermectin

I would give the 60 pounder .75 cc's and the 90 pounder 1 cc.

2. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Thanks man.... you have taken all the worry out for me. The dog is going back to the vet tomorrow but i really gotta learn how to take care of some of this stuff on my own. My shit bull is costing me $3-500 month for vet and food due to some kinda unknown allergy? Plus in the next year i will move and get a yard set a proper and add another dog to start but in the end prob a few more so i am gonna have to start learning. Also plan on getting some goats, pigs and chickens and i dont think i will afford this all if i dont do most of this stuff on my own.

3. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Enough can't be said for simple things like Cleaning up dog shit every day, clean water, and good food. Some people will skip days cleaning shit up and all it takes is a nice rain or them to run in it to fuck them up. Dogs are durable animals but you need to take care of them. I have 7 dogs and I clean shit up every day, sometimes twice a day. My neighbor has 2 dogs and never cleans shit up. I might of seen them out there once in the past 2 months cleaning up dog shit. It's rediculious.

4. mdp1985

mdp1985 Big Dog

hey wardog why every other month and not every month?

5. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

It is poison. I don't like giving it to them every month. I think it is to much for their system. Winter time I will only do it every 3 months unless I am breeding one or showing one.

6. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

7. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Wardog, what do you use for Heartworm preventative?

8. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I could not agree more about being clean.. i have had a fair amount of problems with my dogs in the short time i have had them. Tbh i dont have to worry about cleaning my yard as i have no fence so they live inside and dont get tied out. Whenever they shit i get the sweet job of reaching down with my had in bag and grabbing there crap. They even get a bath once a week due to my one with a skin problem as he starts to smell like he is rotting! Bowls are washed after every meal and all meat is frozen for two days before serving. Really i dont get why i have had such bad luck.. one reason is i was uneducated miss lead into buying a bully :( i love him though he tries real hard to be a bulldog lol!!

9. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Ivermectin.:)

10. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Ok, cool. What I was getting at then was you said you use it every two months, NOT monthly.....I assume you have encountered no problems bi-monthly. Would recommend this for me in swamp ass Florida with all the bugs? I agree with less medication a dog gets the better, the vets want you on the stuff every month. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  11. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Every 2 months would be perfect for you. I live in the freazing cold most of the year. So I have less problems with fleas, mosquitos, ect. I would super worm them once a year and only worry about heartworms and round worms every 2 months.

12. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

What would you consider a super worm once a year?

13. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Once a year you should do:
    Safe Guard
    Ivomec
    pyran-50 or piperazine-17
    fish tapes forte

14. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

jeeze thanks man, looks like i will need to ask my vet for amounts and if you do em all at once or one med a week for a month. by the way how do dogs do outside in the winter where you are gets cold where i am to like low to mid teens and below zero at times, my guess is you gotta have somewhere to bring em in certain times of the year?

15. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I give the ivomec and pyran-50 at the same time. Then I wait a couple days and give them one of the other ones. Wait a couple days and give them the last one.

Dogs do good in the cold with the right amount of weight on them and really good dog houses with straw. Even when the news says to bring them in, I still leave them outside cause my dog houses are so good. Here is the link to the plans I use for dog houses, http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/uniquekennels/doghouseblueprints.htm

16. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

You are one low attitude guy Mr. Wardog... Thanks for the help. My dogs now will be house dogs till the last day but next year i will be getting another dog or two and they will be raised in kennels from 4 months up other than some socialization with the fam and friends a little bit everyday. i really regret not doing it this way with the two i have but i just do not have the land to do it right so. Next summer or fall this should be all taken care of. Then i will spend the unfrozen parts of the fall and spring digging fence post holes and get her going for fall just as the weather is suited to a young pup outdoors. Nice dog house and easy to build!

17. marloes

marloes Pup

does everyone use the ivermectine?
    dont you have good pills against heartworms?
    i use pills when i need to..
    or do i misunderstand?

18. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I think there is pills but theres a couple good reasons to use ivomec. It is cheaper and it also helps with other worms besides hearworm.

19. marloes

marloes Pup

but it is also very toxic, i believe.
    ive used it only for treathing demodex infections, but only if nessisairy..
    for example we have over here in holland pills called milbemax, they help against all sorts of worms, just wanted to learn how you do it and think about it...

20. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Ivomec is cheap. It helps with mange and all kinds of other stuff which is why i like to use it so much. If you use it on a regular basis it can nip all kinds of stuff in the butt before it becomes a problem.