1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

~ Heartworm Treatment ~

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Your Worst Nightmare, May 7, 2004.

1. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Re: Ivermectin

If it takes that long then why wouldn't it be ok to worm them every 3 months?

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

I assume you can not understand the chart I posted. Because if you did you would not ask. The test can only detect adult female worms.

Because HWP will only kill larval stages 3 and 4 after that HWP nor adultcide will kill. Therefore you need to give it every 30 days to make sure you break up the development stage so they do not mature.

3. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

This is just my opinion because i am sure where you live depends on how often you can give certain medications. I just don't buy into these scientific facts. I've owned bulldogs for nearly 20 years and only had one case of heart worm. To my defense the dog wasn't in my care at the time but the guy does take excellent care of his dogs. I used to never give regular preventive stuff like I do now. I contribute that to age and giving a shit more about my dogs health then I use to. I used to only worm dogs before I worked them for shows and if it looked like there might be a problem. My dogs never got heart worm. I had at one time 60+ dogs/pups. Props to you for being able to do that for the 15 dogs you have now. I do just think that it's over doing it. In my opinion once every 2 months is more then enough. I never take my dogs to vets. I don't trust them or anyone else for that matter with my dogs care and not trying to snitch me out. There is a war going on with us and them and I don't trust any vet that isn't a dogman.

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Then you have no idea if your dogs have heartworms or not because you do not test. Those scientific facts? Umm ok. Bulldogs are still dogs therefore the same rules apply.

Yes depending on where you live you can give seasonal HWP. But during the months that it is hot and have Mosquitos you need it monthly. Again refer back to he chart I posted about the development stage. That chart was from the lecture notes at the North American Veterinary Conference.

Owning dogs for many years does not mean that you can not make mistakes.

Now you can do what you wish with your dogs. But I would hate for someone to listen and think they are doing the right thing when in fact they are not. Again your choice. And I will stick to medical facts. And I know my dogs are properly taken care of.

5. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

a cavalier attitude like this is what leads to 100% dead dogs- just ask verdin, he had zero records of vaccinations, all his dogs when seized were killed due to the fact they had no records of vaccination.
    at the bare minimum folks need to have their rabies done and documented-have it handy. mine (vet records)are in folders for each dog, inbetween a couple bulldogs books-if i get raided they are gonna ~get the good with the bad~
    everyone needs to find a vet they can trust and work with

science is not whimsy, science is not what you feel, science is fact

6. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

i always thought i was pretty educated about vaccinations and hwp...you guys (and girls) seem to be pretty well educated on this subject..could you post up a vaccination and hwp schedule..please dont say do a search..i've read the others but you guys have a good debate going and i thought it would be helpfull to others...also, what are you guys thought on over vaccinating a dog..seems to be a new school of thought on this...thanks in advance

7. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

What about this method <object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VOLzFsNOJ-4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

8. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Now I do realize because of my profession I do have an advantage. And if I was not in this profession I would not have as many animals.

I am lucky that I currently work for a Vet who knows how many animals I have and who is very willing to work with me. Who knows that I do many things minor on my own. And who knows I am very capable of handling many situations. He is a very good Vet who is more than willing to save people money. MANY breeders, show and working kennels come to him of various breeders.

With that said I still get rabies vaccines from a licensed Vet even though I can buy it legally. However it is not recognized unless given by a licensed Veterinarian. Now I do test annually on my dogs.

Now it is recommended to test yearly. But we have many clients that test every 2 years. But they are on HWP every month (this region you need to give HWP monthly).

My main concern with what you wrote is that it is ok to give it every 2 months and that is not fact. Depending on the region of the country you live in will depend on the protocol. Down here in the Southeast it needs to be given monthly and given year round. You miss one dose and your dog will and can develop heartworms.

Now someone living in the Midwest of course they do not need to give it in the Winter months. But they need it Spring through Fall. Like I said know your region and give it accordingly.

Again do as you wish with your animals. But to give false advice and have someone hurt their animals is where it is wrong.

Also can someone erase Crimsonghost post above. He was logged in and I posted under him by accident. LMAO

9. mdp1985

mdp1985 Big Dog

What is immiticide?

10. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

I can not watch it. But Class 4 heartworm disease can be surgically removed.

Early infection Class 1
    No signs

Mild disease Class 1
    Cough

Moderate disease Class 2
    Cough, exercise intolerance, abnormal lung sounds
    [COLOR=#313131][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#313131][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#313131][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#313131][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#313131][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#313131]Severe disease Class 3
    [LEFT][/LEFT][/COLOR][LEFT][/left][/SIZE][LEFT][/left][/FONT][LEFT][/left][/COLOR][LEFT][/left][/SIZE][LEFT][/left][/FONT][LEFT][/left][/COLOR][LEFT][/left][/SIZE][LEFT][/left][/FONT][LEFT]Cough, exercise intolerance, dyspnea, abnormal heart and lung sounds, enlarged liver (hepatomegaly), syncope (temporary loss of consciousness from reduced blood flow to the brain, ascites (fluid accumulation in the abdominal cavity), death
    [/LEFT]
    [B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2][LEFT]Surgical Extraction[/LEFT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][LEFT]Surgical removal of heartworms is the only course of action available for class 4 heartworm cases and has [FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]also been advocated for severe class 3 cases that need immediate intervention or have hepatic or renal disease of sufficient severity that arsenical therapy is not advisable. These patients are extremely ill and cannot tolerate anesthesia very well. The area over the right jugular vein is clipped and scrubbed. An incision over the right jugular vein is made, the subcutaneous tissues bluntly dissected and the right jugular vein exposed. Worms are gently extracted and 1 to 3 worms are typically removed with each pass. Multiple passes are made until no more worms are retrieved on three consecutive attempts. The incision in the jugular vein can either be sutured or the vein tied off above and below the incision. Once the animal has exhibited improvement in cardiovascular function and has stabilized, the animal is treated with the multimodal [FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]protocol.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

11. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

The thing is a vaccine schedule is all depending on your dog's lifestyle.

For example where i currently work at a dog as a puppy will go through his/her puppy series. Then at 1 year they will get a 3yr Rabies, A 3 yr DA2PP ( Canine Distemper, Adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus Vaccine) And a 1yr Lepto (Lepto titers are short and only last 1 yr), HWT, Fecal, and Bordetella (if needed). Then the next year depending on the dog's risk factors may or may not get Lepto, Bordetella (if needed) and HWT, Fecal. And so forth.

Immiticide is the drug that is used to kill the adult worms.

12. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Rally,you can have all the vet records you want. When the cops come to raid your house and your yard, you ain't getting one single dog back. That is fact. They are not gonna just draw straws to get a warrant. They will have information and when they come, that's it forget it. Don't matter what your vaccine records are and if they find out who your vet is through those records you keep, he's going to jail to for not reporting you. It's a vets responsibility to report suspious activity with pitbulls. You bring him a few busted up dogs that had so called accidents and he doesn't report you. He could get charged with conspiriousy(sp?). There are some states that if your dog is game bred in, and don't quote me on the exacts of this law cause i just recently heard about it, the first 3 generations. The cops can take the dog. If they can prove it's from fighting lines. This is a losing war. Enjoy your dogs while you can cause they are slowly becoming exctinct.

13. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Since vaccine schedules depend on a dogs lifestyle, my advice to give the dog ivomec every other month wasn't incorrect. I applaud you for being able to do that much with your dogs. I just feel it's over kill but then again it's better to do to much then not enough, right?:)

14. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

LOL yes it was. Seriously? Vaccines and deworming are 2 very different things. How can you still say that with all the medical facts that has been presented. :confused: Only thing I can come up with is pride.

Did you not see the chart? Do you not understand that Ivomec (Ivermectin) only kills certain stages of the Lavae. If left in their system they will mature to adults. You have to break up the developemntal stage. And to do that you have to give it on a 30 day cycle.

You can try and twist it to fit your needs all you want. But the facts speak for themselves.

Do what you wish with your dogs. Hell they are yours. However if you give wrong info and you hurt someone elses is where the issue lies.

15. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I understand the chart. I just don't beleive the chart. If it's true giving ivomec to a dog with heart worms will kill it. Then I surely should of had one fall over on me by now. it has nothing to do with pride. I am a very humble person and have no problems admitting when I am wrong. I have had maybe 2 adult dogs die on me and appoximately 8 pups die on me. The adults didn't die from disease that is all I will say and the pups died of parvo.

16. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

LOL if you actually read what I post you might understand.

The current treatment protocol for the treatment of heartworms is to place the dog on 3 months of an Ivermectin based heartworm prevention (Heartgard, Iverheart......) and on month 3 do 1 injection of Immiticide then in 1 month do the 2 injections 24 hours apart. The reason is because that will give the larval stage time to mature for the immiticide to kill it and keeping them on it will prevent the microfilaria from developing into the larval stages.

Now a LONG time ago heartworm prevention when it was daily if your dog had heartworms it would kill the dog if you gave it to them.

So while your dog does have a chance of dying if given Ivermectin (or any HWP) if they are heartworm positive. But that only really happens in later stages of the disease. Ivermectin will not kill adults only L3 and L4 larval stages. So the adults will still be there and eventually die off of old age (Slow kill method) which is usally 3-5 years.

Yes it can take a dog a few years to become clinical with heartworm disease. However they can just fall over dead (not common). The activity level of the dog also plays a role in the progression and severity of heartworm disease. As worms die from either natural causes or as a result of an immiticide treatment, they decompose and small worm fragments lodge in the heart and lungs blocking blood flow. During increased exersise or activity the increased blood flow to these blocked vessels can cause rupture and fibrosis. This leads to potential right sided heart failure.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  17. Re: Heartworms?????

Hi,
    My dog doesn't have heart worms, but I was curious. We are looking for another dog and the one we love had heart worms, and recently had heart worm treatment to get rid of it. I know there is heart worm preventative, but what do you do after a dog has heart-worms? Do they have to have surgery? Is it fatal even after the heart worms are gone? I just wanted to make sure we don't get a sick dog.

18. popper

popper CH Dog

Re: Heartworms?????

you arenot kidding about that..... Common sense goes a long way these days

19. popper

popper CH Dog

Cynta atl you give your dogs HWP year around even during the winter months when you have freezes? I live in new orleans and last winter was pretty cold .... didnt seeone mosquito, even this summer there is hardly any. I do give themn HWP during spring , summer , fall.But when those freezes start they are long gone.

20. 1916

1916 Big Dog

Something i have been wondering, i have been using Ivomec and paying about 40.00 and its 1%, i have seen the horse version and its 1.87% and its 30.00 cheaper, would it be the same? Dosed the same,aside from injection sine its apple flavored and given orally?