1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

~ Heartworm Treatment ~

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Your Worst Nightmare, May 7, 2004.

1. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Re: Ivermectin

What's so fishy? No need to beat around the bush. I am terrible at guessing games.

2. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

i also recently read sumthing like this

3. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I cant say i do not agree with Wardog. I would give a nut to have a mentor that could teach me the ins and outs of caring for my dogs and i could see him first hand practice it on his own yard with confidence. I sure as shit worry about the day they come for our dogs and would do anything to keep em outa the publics eyes. 30 min from me you are gonna have to take a corse to own a dam pit bull or muzzle it. Dont get me worng i think in the case of the average ass hole that want to own a APBT that is a great idea i just dont think it is right to tell anyone they have to do something cuz they own a specific breed of animal. 30 min the other way you gotta have a muzzle on the dog. 20 min the other way muzzle. I am getting me 3-4 acres out as far int the woods as i can afford and still be near work. My dogs will never leave the yard again!!!

4. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I had my dogs taken from me once and beleive me it don't matter what vaccines and shot records you have. Unless you are crazy rich, you can't beat em'. They know this. Your best bet is to mind your own business and keep your dogs out of the public eye as much as possible. I had less problems when I had 60+ dogs then I do now having only 7. The difference is I was living in the country when I had 60+ and I am living in the city now with 7, neighbors suck. I was a less responsible and less mature individual when I lived in the country. This is getting a little off topic, lol! I am sure Cynthia knows more about heart worms then I do but I have have done this way for over a decade with no problems. I am a firm beliver in you can't beleive everything you read. If I lived in the south I would still only heart worm every other month. I have never had a heart worm problem and I use to only worm them before shows and if they weren't feeling good. Now I worm them every 2 months in warm weather and every 3 months in the winter. It works fine for me.

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

I give it year round. Do not stop. In the southeast it needs to be year round. Last winter we had 1 month that was really cold. Now a friend of mine who is s tech in Baton Rouge will tell you the same thing. I see way to much of it in this area to say that it is not needed year round. But in colder climates it is very reasonable to not give it in the winter months.

Do what you wish with your dogs. Wardogs you would not know if your dogs had heartworms or not because you do not go to the Vet so your info is not based on medical facts. Just your opinion. And to me my dog's health is more important to me. So I chose medical facts. I gave been in this field long enough to know the difference.

Again your dogs your choice. I do not care enough to sound cool on a forum. But know this I will come with medically proven facts with the best interest to protect your animals. And if I see info that would harm your animals I will give my input from years of experience in the Veternary Field.

With that said there is nothing else I need to say.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  6. popper

popper CH Dog

Cnthia throw out some goodpoints.....thanks for all the info ...really appreciate it

7. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i give that example as a hypothetical situation. if for some reason anyone came in and took my dogs, atleast their vaccinations alone are not reason enough for them to be destroyed-there is no question on that, hence the importance of maintaining documentation. hell, i still have documentation on my dogs that have passed away. (vet AND licensing)
    as far as vets being required to report- im not buying that one at all. im sure if you have no repoir w/ a vet and you bring him a banged up dog once a month-as thats the ONLY time he sees you, then yes. they are going to report you. up north i had a stellar vet whom i could go to for anything, it took me some time down here to find a vet of the same caliber-but i did. i have brought banged up dogs to both, as i document everything-up to and including photographs...just incase anything ever happens i can explain why this dog has a scar, and how they received proper treatment for the injury.
    as far as that "gamebred in the first 3 generations" law i would love to see any sort of proof on that one, sounds like the "boy who cried wolf" to me
    again, im not worried as i do not fight my dogs, in the event of an accident i bring them to the vet, i maintain proper documentation of vaccinations and vet visits, i do not sell dogs, im a simple petbull owner.

the biggest thing people can take away from this thread is to find a vet you can work with, and if you are unsure of proper procedure administering ANY sort of medication seek advice from a professional-as this is not the sort of thing you can detect with the naked eye, or by the way a dog acts. just because it acts ok, doesnt mean it is.

8. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I heard it was a law in Michigan. Maybe one of these doggers uo north can verify if this is fact. This is just what I was told.

9. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Ok a few last questions. I have held off on the ivermectin as it makes me nervous doing it myself with what i have read about over dosing a dog with this stuff. Also i de wormed with panacur so i thought i would be good and am still having the loose stool problems. At this point i want to treat for everything although it may be overkill as the vet has no idea as the stools are negative. My main agenda is to clear the loose stools, seams i may have the skin problem under wraps for now with the NU-Stock.

So i get the amounts i am to give if using Ivermectin 1% but i am being told to buy the injectable. If i want to give it by mouth do i just use the injectable also and if so how do i draw it up outa the bottle with a little rubber top i imagine. Also how often do i give the dose about 1/10th a cc per 20lbs of body weight to fight off what i am looking to treat.. "loose stools, worms, parasites, blah blah". I also read if your dog has heart worms you can kill them giving this ivermectin. I would think they dont have heart worms as they get monthly heart guard but have not been tested in some time for them. Also is it a problem to dose them with the ivermectin if they have been administered the heart guard this month? I just wanna be safe, dont wanna make a bigger problem out of a smaller problem like permanently injuring a dog or killing one ya know!!!?

Also what is the treatments for Girdia and coccidia as both dogs have had both in the past. I also wonder if lepto could be the problem as they both have been in water but have had the vac so? I will also treat for tapes last.

10. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Ivermectin is dosed at 1/10 of a cc per 10 pounds of body weight. Just use the syringe to suck up the liquid then remove the syringe and squirt it in the back of the dogs mouth. It won't hurt to do since he has already had heart guard. I wouldn't make a habit of it but it won't kill him.

For Coccidia and Giardia treaat them with fish sulfa forte and flagyl.

11. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Wardog.. you are the man very patient. ever hear of sulmet for treating coccidia? Also i gave one dog flagil for 20 days and the other for 10 do you think i need to use flagil again at this point, they just stopped taking it last week. how many times do i treat with the ivermectin per week or per month for worms and paracites, and is the treatment dif with ivermectin for mange with ivermectin?

12. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

You can do ivermectin once a month, this will also make cynthiaatl happy;-) Just kidding Cynthia, :D I used to use Albon then i read it wont take out giardia. Never used sulmet. I used to use Albon all the time back in the day with no problems. Now I switched it up. If you only used flagil then I would do it again but use fish sulfa forte too. You have to also make sure you are giving it correctly also. The dosage for the fish sulfa is 10mg/lb given for 4 days and for flagyl it's 12mg/lb given twice a day continued for 5-7 days. The dose of ivermectin for mange is the same as it is for worms.

13. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Really you should invest in 2 books The Complete Gamedog by Ed Faron and The Pitbull Bible by California Jack. I use both of these books as reference when I have anything wrong with my dogs. They both are invaluable in their own way.

14. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

You can buy the actual generic Albon by the gallon at Jefferslivestock.com.

While Sulmet is a sulfa it is not the same as Albon.

<TABLE cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 12px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; LINE-HEIGHT: 19px; PADDING-TOP: 8px" vAlign=center>Do a search on there for Di-Methox Drinking Water Solution. It is a 12.5% Sulfadimethoxine Solution it is 125mg/ml. And Sulfadimethoxine is Albon.

The dosage for Sulfadimethoxine is Day 1 25mg/pound, Day 2-10 12.5mg/pound. And you give it once a day.

If you are going to do it use Sulfadimethoxine which is Albon.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

15. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Giardia has similiar syptoms to coccidia. Albon won't kill giardia. So I wouldn't reccomend that. You might as well get what will kill both.

16. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Metronidazole will not eliminate Coccidia. Either will sulfamethazine which is what Sulmet is.

I was refering to treating Coccidia. I ALWAYS do a round of Albon on a litter of pups around 8 weeks old as part of my routine deworming schedule.

Here is a noval idea. Go to the Vet and find out what exactly the animal has. That way the OP is not pumping all these drugs in to them all willy nilly. Hoping to fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2010
  17. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

I want to add that I have seen Albendazole used off label to treat Coccidia. And that can also be used to treat Giardia. Panacur can also be used to treat Giardia.

The main issue with people doing things is this. While they may have the right product they are not doing it correctly. And the dog is not being properly treated. And without testing and verifying a diagnosis you really have no idea if you eliminated it or even if that is the actual cause.

18. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

The fish sulfa forte is trimethoprim-sulfadiazine and the fish zole forte contains the flagyl which is metronidazole. Those both combined will eliminate any coccidia and giardia problems.

19. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Not according the the Veterinary 5 Minute consult. ANd the Vet I work for.

Coccidia

DRUGS AND FLUIDS
    Sulfadimethoxine at 55mg/kg PO on the first day, then 27.5mg/kg for 4 days or until dog is asymptomatic for Isospora
    • On an extra-label use basis, albendazole (Valbazen) at 25 mg/kg PO q12h for 2 days or fenbendazole (Panacur) at 50 mg/kg PO q24h for 3 days for Isospora
    • None known for Cryptosporidium although pyrimethamine has been used experimentally

Now Fish Forte is Sulfadimethoxazole 800mg, Trimethoprim 160mg tablets. Again while it is a Sulfa drug is is not what is the treatment of choice ofr coccidia.

Again Albendazole and fenbendazole can be use in both.

Giardia
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]DRUGS AND FLUIDS [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Albendazole (Valbazen) 25 mg/kg PO q12h for 2 days 90% effective; 50 times more effective than metronidazole; second 5 day course may be necessary [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Fenbendazole (Panacur) 50 mg/kg PO q24h for 3 days is effective; second 5 day course may be necessary [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Metronidazole (Flagyl) 25 mg/kg PO q12h for 5 days in dogs; 12-25 mg/kg PO q12h for 5 days in cats [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Quinacrine hydrochloride 6.6 mg/kg PO q12h for 5 days [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]• Fluid therapy if dehydrated [/SIZE]

Feel free to look on your own here
    https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/toc/000.htm

Again to ANYONE reading this be informed. Do not listen to ANYONE including myself without consult of YOUR Veterinarian. It is SO easy to mess up and do harm if you do not know what you are doing. [/FONT]

20. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I am taking the route of do it all as the vet has no idea what the hell is wrong with my dogs. All stools come back negative and they seem perfectly healthy other than loose stools. Even the vet is like what the fuck and yes too a degree i a cant tell you that you are crazy for wanting to just treat for everything being they are testing pos for nothing and something is clearly worng. She has always been great in the past and in this case is just at a loss for a explanation and i understand. Also she is fine with taking the treat everything approach as the dogs need to get better and we can not pinpoint what the cause is? Her take is also so often stools show nothing and that you gotta catch em in many cases at the right time in the cyst shedding cycle. We gave em both panecur per dogs weight for three days about 15 days ago we also gave Flagil to both dogs one for 20 days and the other for 10 days. SO you tell me what would you do?

I do welcome any info on the treatment of any of the things i have mentioned as the more info the more i can look into it and make the best decision i can. I always go out and spend hours googling anything i am suggested ask multiple sources and most important run it by my vet first. I take what i am told with a grain of salt in some ways as who knows the source till i give these drugs a go and my dogs get better or not? I have and will continue to run all meds and doses by my vet before i give my dogs anything on my own. My vets take is it cant hurt at this point so long as you give the right dose at the right time she also feels like you gotta try something and if you can figure out how to treat stuff on your own and you have it right than you should!! I mean she sees how much money i spend and i know she feels bad... my dog with allergies cost me $200-300 a month for the last six months along with anything else that has come up and things have as my dogs get out in the world, we are in new places everyday far off the beaten path and i let me be dogs to degree i cant protect em from everything you know. One thing they dont do is go near other dogs at all. They do however always find some piss and shit to sniff before i notice.