1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Barking

Discussion in 'Difficulties' started by acr, Dec 27, 2007.

1. acr

acr Big Dog

My dog, Sug' has been barking a lot lately. It's to the point that my next door neighbor is calling to complain. I told her that I understand her concerns and I'm trying to do something about it. Whenever I'm home and hear him barking, I tell him "No!" or bring him inside. I think there are new neighbors directly behind me that he is not used to but my complaining neighbor said she notices nothing going on when she hears him barking. She said that it is driving her crazy and I'm pretty sure she will call an authority if he doesn't stop. I'm gone for 9 to 10 hours a day at work and I don't know what to do while I'm gone if he barks. Please give me advice. Thanks!!!

2. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

umm..... dogs bark. tell your neighbor sorry that there is nothing you can do. your reprimand for him barking will likely work while you are present, but when you are gone there isn't much in my experience that works and doesn't restrict the dogs movement and freedom.

3. Phebes

Phebes Guest

In Va a dog excessively barking will get taken by AC. It is against a noise ordinance. Most people think if a dog is barking during the day nothing can be done but that is not always the case depending on where you live.
    Have you thought of bringing in the house and crating him while you are at work?

4. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

If you tell your neighbor what frenchie suggested you will probably have your dog taken by animal control,and if you have any other dogs you are more than likely to get more visits..

If I were you I would invest in a large crate(as long as the dog isnt destructive) or set up a chain spot in your basement for use when your not home..

5. acr

acr Big Dog

Thanks for all the replies.

I considered crating him, but 9 to 10 hours is too long of a time in my opinion. He is a young male, with lots of energy. I don't have a basement in which to put him. I've spoken with a number of people about this and will speak with more, including a lawyer. The general consensus so far is that my neighbor is being unreasonable. I don't know if my neighbor means to, but she tends to exaggerate her statements. We are all getting a good night's sleep because I'm home in the evenings and keep Sug' from barking a lot then. How she expects me to keep him quiet while I'm away, I don't know. I will not use a shock collar or muzzle as I don't think those devices are humane. My neighbor is a retired, older woman and is evidently home during the day. I want there to be peace but she is making it challenging. My dog is so important to me and I realize that his breed is controversial so I don't want that to become a focus in this situation. I will continue trying to work this out. Please keep the feedback coming. Thanks!

6. Marty

Marty Guest

7. Michele

Michele Guest

I agree with this and what Phebes said.

Look into the noise law where you live.

8. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

The shock collars work. It doesnt hurt the dog to the point of whining, its just a quick little shock to let them know to shut up. They even have a warning beep. When the dog barks it will beep to let them know they're about to get popped. After a few times the dog will hear the beep and hush up. They worked for me some of the time. It all depends on how fired up the dog is. Good luck. YIS, DJ.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2007
  9. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Well I have a solution for you. A BB gun worked for me. I was talking shit one night to the guy I am dating and he popped me in the ass with a BB gun shut me up real quick. LOL

No but seriously Shock collars and Citronella Bark Control Collars can be effective.

10. simms

simms CH Dog

These types of collars should be checked daily.

11. acr

acr Big Dog

But don't we want our dogs to bark? I mean when I'm home and there's a reason, I think Sug' should bark - to alert me and warn the bad guys. Seems like a shock collar would teach him to never bark which I don't want (plus I don't want him getting shocked).

12. Marty

Marty Guest

So your going to take a chance of losing the dog?

13. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

The shock is not that hard. My vet uses a shock collar on his Bull terrier for training. If you do not want him shocked then try the Citronella Bark Control Collars that spray them in the face. You are in a situtation that you need to make a choice. Either cut the barking or like Marty said lose your dog.

14. simms

simms CH Dog

Then your dog is going to have to learn when to bark and when not to bark. You need proffesional help in this area. Personaly my house dog does not bark to alert me to anything....that's not his job.

15. acr

acr Big Dog

I do have a hard choice to make. And no, of course I don't want to lose my dog - never! Hopefully, this can be worked out without the need for a shock collar and I'm glad to know about the citronella alternative. I will take the necessary measures to keep my dog safe. For those that have used such devices, does your dog still bark occasionally?

16. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

I dont know if I like the shock collar idea..In my opinion that "could" make a dog neurotic..Why dont you invest in a crate?..This is the absolute easiest way to solve your problems without taking extreme measures..If its the confinment that bothers you, get a XXL (great dane sized) one..Most dogs adapt well to being crated,as long as its not for extremly long periods of time..

"But dont we want are dogs to bark?...."
    Absolutley not..Barking in my opinion is a threat display,and I personally look at that as a bad sign..I dont like human aggressive dogs,so barking at humans is not tolerated..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2007
  17. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

I agree with the crate idea. No, it won't be ideal to have him crated 9-10 hours a day, but it's the best choice in this circumstance. Just be sure to get up a little early if you have to in order to exercise him before you leave, and get him out for a good work out when you get home. I suggest you work him good as soon as you get home to prevent an extreme, perhaps destructive case of the "zoomies"...I learned from experience!!

Generally I have no issue with a shocking bark collar, or a training collar as long as it's used correctly (same with any training device). BUT my concern would be the fact that you are gone 9-10 hours a day, and he will be unsupervised. What happens if the collar becomes defective while nobody's around and he gets injured?? The chances of it happening are extremely thin, but why take a chance?

18. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

It's not good to tell your dog "no!" or anything else while it's barking. The dog will often, in essence, think that you're actually barking yourself. Inadvertently you are reinforcing the dog's behavior. Ignore him completely. If you continue to bring him inside when he barks, then he'll continue to bark when he wants to be let in. If you continue to scold him while he's barking, he'll bark for that attention.

It's likely the dog is barking out of pure boredom. Give him something else to do besides bark, something that will keep him occupied and stimulated, especially while you're away.

Increase his exercise. He'll be quieter once he's burned off that excess energy.

19. simms

simms CH Dog

Good for you! Not all dogs make good house dogs. I have only had 2 outstanding house dogs in 16 yrs with this breed. Both males and intact. I have had several pass threw the house, however...LOL But it takes an exceptional dog to maintain the title of house dog.

20. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

What's good for me?...