1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Barking

Discussion in 'Difficulties' started by acr, Dec 27, 2007.

1. simms

simms CH Dog

Ok not what's good for you. i agree with your statement.

2. There is a little something called a bark collar...

3. acr

acr Big Dog

Sug' is an intact male and an excellent house dog in my opinion. I truly believe he is barking at the new neighbors behind us. When there is activity in that yard, he barks. He really can't see what's going on over there so that probably adds to his barking. I do think I need to increase his exercise. He tore his right front dew claw a couple of weeks ago and so we slowed down on exercise per his vet's advice.

4. 1234

1234 Banned

Most likely the new people are bad, any good apbt can tell the diff between good and bad, watch your dog. And for the BB post im gonna go shoot my old lady in the ass and see if it works for me too.

5. acr

acr Big Dog

Thanks, I totally agree with you, 1234. I've been thinking that all along. My dog is very perceptive about how is a good or bad person. I will watch him closely. And careful with the BB gun. ;)

6. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I'm pretty sure that 1234 was only kidding. Just because your dog barks at strange neighbors it doesn't qualify them as bad people, lol. It's common for dogs of almost every breed to bark at strange people, sounds, animals, etc.
    It's due to territorial and self-identification instincts.

7. acr

acr Big Dog

You have a good point, rockstar - thanks.

8. 1234

1234 Banned

Just going by what ive seen of the breed, they can tell the diff between good and bad. And again watch your dog, it's not a world full of beautiful people.

9. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

Ok..I didnt understant what you meant..lol

10. acr

acr Big Dog

IMO, you are right, 1234. As I think we all know, there are plenty of bad people in this world. Just because he barks at someone, that doesn't mean they are definitely a bad person, but he has shown good instinct and I will keep a close eye on him.

11. Aurora

Aurora Pup

I've found the most humane way of quieting an excessive barker is with good ol' H2O . Spray him with the garden hose after giving the quiet command whatever it may be . After 2 or 3 times just open a window or door and give your quiet command and you should hear the chain rattle over the threshold of the doghouse . Very simple , very effective , and humane .

Personally i let my dogs bark through the day unless it comes to a point where they're being obnoxious . At night they know it's time to be quiet . If they fire up at night after being asked to quiet down then i go out to find the cause and usually there is one , a racoon or possum in the garbage is generally the cause .

12. acr

acr Big Dog

Thanks aurora! The issue with using the hose is that Sug' sees it as a toy. He plays with the hose itself and when I turn the water on, he jumps at and chases the water flow. We'll see...

So far, my stern "No!" command seems to be having an effect. I'm a softy for him though and I don't like having to be so hard with him. I know it's necessary sometimes.

13. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Honestly your best bet is to just spend one whole day breaking and making the dog shut up and kinda breaking him thru a day-week of shut up HELL...just go play with him...for a while...then leave... wait for the bark around a blind corner... and walk up to him fast and hard like a badass and grab his collar and put his head to the ground while telling him to shut up...keep doing this process until the time comes along when your dog dont bark when you disappear.... and then come back walking in a slower nicer manner and maybe even with a treat...he will get the point real quick and realize hes happier not barking his fool head off....other than that the collars are humane and work good and after a while you can quit using them generally after the dog trains itself not to bark....

14. acr

acr Big Dog

Thanks everyone! Sug' seems to be responding to my voice training. No new calls from my neighbor. Yay! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

15. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

so it seems there is still the problem of when you are away. as i stated, when you are around to be the dominant influence, you no doubt won't have many problems. but have you resolved the issue of him barking in your absence? i can see some members point of view in not causing trouble, but a dog is a dog and they do indeed bark.

16. acr

acr Big Dog

Well by the lack of a phone call to complain, I believe my influence is having more of an effect on Sug' than just when I am present. That is my belief and hope. If I find out otherwise, I will take further action.

17. Suki

Suki Guest

i agree. sounds like he needs more exercise and stimulation due to being both bored and alone for long stretches, and also i WOULD check out your local ordinances to be certain his barking does NOT fall under any Nusiance Laws. yup, could be grounds for removal, as it is here, where i live.
    also, leaving a dog in a crate for that long, is, imo, pretty cruel.
    i'd personally try the shock collar if it continues, but run him GOOD both before and after work to help release any pent up energy.

18. bdubya

bdubya Pup

I can appreciate you not wanting to use a shock collar but they're not inhumane. It does sting the dog for a second (unless you hold the button down), but sometimes it's the only thing that will work.

While these animals are very sociable and loving, they can also be very stubborn. They are also very tough as well.

Consider this; What's more inhumane, a short burst of mild pain, or being locked up in cage all day. It may also be the only way to save your dog. I can tell you from experience that a neighbor who complains enough can have your dog taken away.

If you decide to use the shock collar, get advice from people who have used them. Depending on the dog, it usually doesn't take much before they change their behavior. I had a similar problem and the shock collar stopped the bad behavior after three attempts.

19. acr

acr Big Dog

As follow-up, Sugar's barking issue has been resolved for awhile now. No more complaining from the neighbor. I'm consistently training him with verbal commands and exercising him (as usual). No bark collar has been used...but I realize that's a viable option for some situations. So cheers and thanks for all the input.

20. cain0main

cain0main Pup

I have been reading this to see what I am going to use myself, and I think that I may go with the collar. I am curious how you say that this issue has been resolved already, especially if you are gone for 9 - 10 hrs. It may be that your neighbor is just trying to deal with it for now. With the weather getting nice and more people out, make sure before you find out that complaint calls are still being made and give yourself another option before it is too late.