1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Herding

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by findrodhere, Feb 26, 2006.

1. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

Can a pitbull be used as a herding dog?

2. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

You need to check out the September-October 2004 issue of "Stockdogs" Magizine.
    (Vol. 3 No. 7)

There is an excellent article starting on page 6 about a man who uses APBT's for stockdogs.

Very good read.

heres the link to contact them,

http://www.stockdogspecialties.com/home.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2006
  3. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Didn't Diane J. title the first bulldog is herding?

I suppose a select few dogs could herd, most bulldogs I've met were hell bent on attacking the cow (There was a rather nasty incident at the rescue I work at between a bulldog mix and a cow)

4. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

My family uses them to herd cattle. They walk along the fences & look out for wolves. Pretty good workers.

5. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

Do they use a specific line?

6. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

Way back when my grandfather had "bulldogs" that were all around farm dogs. He always said that they were hard workin dogs that minded him. As far as lines and what not I don't have a clue. It has a been quite a few years since he had them. I saw a couple of black and white pictures of them, they were brindle and white dogs that were about 40-50 lbs.

7. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

never done, or seen them, but i think they are good w/cattle, but i dunno bout sheep/goats - as a get going bite might leave a bit more damage on them

8. They are intelligent,fast and they are not afraid of anything....include wolves, bobcats or even mountain lions....so I think if they grow up with cattle, pigs,sheeps or whatever...why not?

9. yeah they can be used as stock dogs espically if you need em for cattle i seen a little 50 pound male take down a bull right by the nose that had to weigh at least 1,500 pounds.but like flamingo said they used to be a all around farm dog also.they pretty much did anything that you threw at em.

10. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Pitbulls are, IMO the original Bulldog. I've seen people write that some Pitbulls still used in stockwork are the best dog for handling really rough stock.

11. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

If you are talking blood, no. I get alot of good dogs from the shelter here, for them. They work just as good, a bull is a bull.

12. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I'll have to disagree about the "bull is a bull" comment

13. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

That was directed at, the work involved.

14. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Thats what I disagree with.
    I have seen pit bulls that have zero, working ability.

15. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

I train them. Never had any problems with them not responding to what I ask of them. Some, will not want to work. Those, I bring back with me for other areas of work. I find 7 out of 10, work out just fine. I'm satisfied.

16. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

So in other words, instead of a "bull is a bull". 7 out of 10 bulls are bulls?

17. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

edit: wrong forum

18. Game dogs are wonderful Farmdogs....thats the point....so why wrong forum?

19. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

I posted a question that had nothing to do with herding.

20. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I really disagree with this.
    They CAN be wonderful farmdogs, and they can be terrable farmdogs.
    Trust me I live on Farm with livestock, and bulldogs and they don't alway mix.
    They work out good as catch dogs if you want to catch something to butcher for meat.
    Most are too prey driven.